Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 10-04-2011, 8:53 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!
Default New Savage 93R17 BSEV Fluted Stainless Bull Barrel and scope!!!

Just got my 93r17 BSEV from Budsgunshop.com the other day. I played around with it for a bit but can never leave a good thing alone. First thing I did was put on weaver quad lock high rings. Those were too low and the scope needed about 3mm more clearance to clear the barrel. I went down to the store and got some Leupold aluminum 1" high rings and they cleared perfectly. I bore sighted it, should be on paper, cleaned it up really well, and worked the action for a little while. I played with the accutrigger to see what I could get it down to. I gauged it at 2.6lbs of pull using an RCBS scale. Being that I can never leave a good thing alone, I thought I could do better. I took the spring out of the trigger that is the trigger spring, and cut 3 loops off of it, re worked some of the angle of the wire so it fit back like factory, (quite a hard thing to do) and played a bit with it some more. Used the trigger pull scale again and got it down to 1 3/4lb pull. I'm REALLY happy with that for a factory trigger and everything still functions great. The safety still works, I've pounded the buttstock a few times on the ground and nothing fires, so I'm all set for the range. I put on a Truglo Infinity 6-24x44 scope with fine target reticle, and this scope has been nothing but awesome. I've compared it side by side to thousand dollar scopes and I can hardly see a difference. This has been the best budget scope I've ever used. I have a 3" and 5" sunshade for the scope and the one in the pic is the 5". Next came sling studs, so I got a couple studs so I could put a bipod on the front and front one went in with 3 pilot holes before actually drilling it out without a hitch. The rear.......well........that was a bit of a problem. I was 95% there screwing it in with the same bit as the front and had the tiniest crack happen in the laminate, but I glued it so its not going anywhere. Things happen, what can you say. It still functions great and I'll throw a sling on it soon too. Got about 5 boxes of 50rds of ammo to test in it and see what it likes, and a DIP 1/4" bottom metal rather than the tin can bottom metal that comes from factory. I may do a one piece rail for a scope mount later on too if these don't work out. For now its sporting a Harris 1A2 BR 6-9" bipod without notches. Without further adieu, here she is:

So paper, shoot-n-see's and varmints beware! I'm on the prowl.
Old 10-04-2011, 9:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Niiice!

WTB XDm .40. If you are within a hour of San Diego and what to sell then send an I'M please. I'm on the market for it!
Old 10-05-2011, 1:00 AM
Banned

nice rifle how much was this badboy?
Old 10-05-2011, 7:13 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

They're not too bad, the rifle itself is about $460 from www.budsgunshop.com who I should get money from for advertising so much. That doesn't count rings, optics, sling studs, bipod, etc. All things considered though, after the bottom metal comes they are shooters from the get go so not much needing to be done except a bit of fluff and buff on or around the bolt so its nice and smooth.
Old 10-05-2011, 8:47 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Very, very nice. Beautiful rifle, let us know how that scope works out when shooting. Things like adjustments being firm and audible, returning to zero, clarity at different distances. I'm a scope junkie and have looked at that scope on line before. Sounds like you may have a nice one.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

The scope has been nothing but great. Audible and tactile clicks, true tracking using the box method, and great clarity out to 200 yards ar 20x magnification. Able to spot .223 holes with it. For the price, its comparable to scopes 5x the price all day long. I got a .424" 5 shot group with it at 100 yards and a 1.5" at 200 the same day. Buy it, you won't be disappointed at all. Natchezss has them for 80 bucks or so.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Thanks, wallet is getting lighter every day. Nice review.
Old 10-05-2011, 1:50 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Haha, I try! I just bought $300 worth of goodies. When the package comes I'm gonna have to tell the wife what its all for. Just got a new redfield spotted for $189!
Old 10-07-2011, 4:43 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Well, I started reading tutorials on how to tune the accutriggers on the rimfire setups, and after fiddling with my springs, cutting a bit here, stoning a bit there, and all said and done, its sitting right at just under or at a one pound trigger pull. Thats right, 1lb pull from a FACTORY accutrigger and it breaks like glass with no creep. Only thing now I want to do is change the accutrigger blade out to a lighter spring so that isn't quite so heavy. It feels so good now, I show it to people and I have to tell them "Slow down, you're going to pull right through it the first time..." EVERY time now its been "oh, I've shot good triggers before....click" Then they smile at me and rack the bolt again. After a couple pulls everyone is amazed that its factory with just some custom work done by yours truly. I'm going to do my buddy's rifle next that is the same rifle only with a different stock. SOOOOOO happy with this little rifle that its going to be my baby a bit longer.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Update, got my DIP bottom metal which is SOOOOOO much thicker than the coke can bottom metal that came on it. Now I can torque it to proper specs without it bending on me. I'm going to shoot it sunday and give a good range report on different ammo. Hopefully I remember to take lots of pics.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 PM

I may have to try that scope out, I've been looking for something affordable.
Old 10-08-2011, 8:27 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...0Scope%20Matte

For $1.99 you can get a 5" sunshade so thats just a no brainer.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...410002&src=sim

Or this one which is an 8-32x44 no illumination, and fine crosshair.
Old 10-08-2011, 8:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

congratulations. looks like you're having fun getting it ready....