Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-04-2011, 8:15 AM
Veteran Member

Default Shape/geometry of flash hider vs muzzle brake?

My M&P 15 has a muzzle brake that looks very similar to a standard flash hider but it's California compliant so I'm wondering what makes it NOT be a flash hider, does anyone know?

Also, can I modify a standard flash hider to not "hide the flash" so it's just decorative?

Thanks,
Old 10-04-2011, 8:30 AM
Veteran Member

generally the flash hiders have a completely open end, where the muzzle brakes have the end closed but a hole small enough for just the bullet to pass through.

there are muzzle devices out there that have closed ends but look like a flash hider - if you like the A2 birdcage Midway sells one (can't remember who makes it) that is a bake instead (has the closed end) also Yankee Hill makes their phantom hiders in muzzle brake form as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 9:15 AM

I'm not expert and hopefully someone with much more knowledge can correct me but this is what I have found here and from reading the regs: Flash hiders and muzzle brakes aren't inherently illegal, or legal. What is illegal is anything that is a flash "suppressor", meaning it reduces or redirects the flash from the shooters line of sight. Doesn't matter what you call it. The only exception seems to be "CA compliant" in which case it is just approved(still not really sure on this?).

That's the final wording anyways. In practice it seems it is a crap shoot, up to the LEO/DA should they get involved, and there apparently is no standard test to determine one way or the other. If they decide it redirects or suppresses flash you are screwed.

I have a muzzle brake with an open end. It is called a muzzle brake by the manufacturer. The bottom of the brake has no ports, the sides and top have ports including one at the very center of the top, so it in essence directs 20%+ MORE flash and gasses into the shooters line of sight so it is pretty clearly not a flash suppressor. But is that just my opinion? What about the LEO that might be at the range next to me?

Old 10-04-2011, 9:26 AM
Veteran Member

First off. there is not such thing as "CA approved" muzzle device. Some sites or manufactures may say that. But all muzzle devices (save for flash suppressors) are legal here.

there ARE out there some muzzle devices that both suppress flash and act as a muzzle brake. the BattleComp is one of them.

there are also what are called "compensaters" which is what you have (this directs gasses up and to the sides to limit muzzle climb)
they are not to be confused with muzzle brakes. a break very specifically brakes all the gas around the bullet... so it will NOT have an open end to it.