Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-06-2007, 6:52 AM

Default Socom 16 sight options

After shooting Prince50's Socom 16 I had to have one. Yesterday thanks to Darin and Calguns, I purchased one from shonc99. Now I need to decide what kind of sight to purchase.

I like the looks of the Eotech and after using Darin's with an Eotech that's probably what I'll go with. (He's my mentor) Which model is best?

I am concerned about the longer shots, say 200 to 300 yards with the Eotech.

On the Springfield website it shows a scope on the socom. Does anyone know what it is? Attachment 2631

Is there a good combination for both close range and a little longer range?

I'm all about making it fun to take out and plink, but I may even like it enough to do a little hunting with.

Last edited by toymonger; 07-12-2009 at 1:31 PM..
Old 02-06-2007, 6:58 AM

I think that scope on the website is an Aimpoint. As for Eotechs I'd go with the 512 if you're not going to use night vision. I don't know what kind of precision you're looking for at 200-300 yards but I had a Leupold Scout Scope on mine that I was very happy with.
Old 02-06-2007, 7:34 AM

I have a long barrel M1A loaded and I put on a 2-12 varable 35mm tube scope from IOR. It comes with rings as well. I love the scope since I can do close stuff and long distance. IOR has a 1.5-8 varable with a 35mm tube that I am thinking of putting on my AR-15 with a 16" barrel. I figure I can shoot comps with it as well as go shoot vermin as well. AT first they seem a little pricey but if you figure you would buy a Aimpoint or EOTech and a 3X magnifier and all the hardware to mount it you are at the same price with the same weight and more magnification. I am really happy with thier scopes. Here is the website.

http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03?tok...yh6xyDywVs4ItQ

You can find them cheaper than the website if you look around on the web.
Old 02-06-2007, 7:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Come on TOYMONGER. (Toymonger LOL)

I'm your mentor, PFFTTT.

You are way older than me, so I cannot be your mentor.

Just buy the Eotech. It works. Go with the above reccomendation for the 512 too. AA battries are cheap and plentiful.

Darin
Old 02-06-2007, 8:30 AM
Veteran Member

The only problem I have with EOTECH on socom is that darn thing won't cowitness.
Otherwise - great setup.
WTB: CZ452
Old 02-06-2007, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat
The only problem I have with EOTECH on socom is that darn thing won't cowitness.
Otherwise - great setup.
Neither will the Aimpoint, which is what is shown on the SOCOM 16 on the SA website. I've got the SOCOM 16 with the Aimpoint Comp ML3 on it, mounted as low as it can go, and there's no way to get a co-witness arrangement that I can see. I think the best you can do is put a quick-release mount on your choice of optics, whether Aimpoint or EOTech, if you want to go to the BUIS in a hurry, like for a longer shot than you think the Aimpoint or EOTech will handle.

+1 on the EOTech 512 with the AA Bats. I've got two of 'em on my AR builds, and only went with the Aimpoint on the SOCOM 16 because I thought it looked good in the ad and thought it was time to give the Aimpoint a try. It's nice, but I think I like my EOTechs better. However, that's purely an aesthetic preference - either one is going to get the job done and done well in a CQB situation, and a SOCOM 16 is really not a "reach out and touch someone" kind of tool anyway. It's more of a "reach out and blow a giant gaping maw of a hole in something nearby" kind of tool. Every toolbox ought to have one!

Paratus et Vigilans

Prepared and On Guard
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take from you all you have." - Gerald R. Ford
Old 02-07-2007, 6:27 AM

After reading grywlfbg's post on another thread, I got more excited about the Eotech. So I called Eotech and asked them about their magnification system.

It is in production but won't be available until April. They will be offering a 3x and a 4x, side flip mount and fixed mount. They will attach to existing sights.

So I have to stick with Darin's advice and I've decided to go with the Eotech 550 AA for my newly aquired Socom 16 and I'll add the side flip mount magnification later.
Old 02-07-2007, 6:37 AM
Veteran Member

I took my forward sight rail off.. I want a standard heat shield to cover the hole... I think it is a gimmick and prefer the peripheral view that open sights give you.

My plan for my 16 is to get the gi parts and a bbl to make it an 18" scout. Mine's been reliable.
Old 02-07-2007, 6:54 AM

We have looked into putting a flip mount for a magnifier on an M1A in the past and you end up running into few issues.

1) It is going to be really difficult to get the eye relief on the magnifier correct because of your mounting constraints. Maybe, someone has made a mount recently that allows this. 1.5 years ago we could not find anything that worked nicely and we were thinking of machining one out.

2) If you do get the eye relief issues figured out with blocks and rear extensions the thing is so high off the barrel that when it flips I think it gets in the way of the bolt coming back. You will also have to space the what ever 1:1 optics you are using up as well. The look of the hole thing goes to hell.

3) When you put the arms #18 mount over the reciever it is not at the same hieght as the barrel mount that comes on the Socom 16. So if you want the rails at the same base hieght to start building off of you will need to look into a Knight rail that goes from front to back.

It is alot easier to mount a scope with really low-mid magnification if you want to do a bunch of different things with it at different yardages. If you are just building a CQB rifle then put one of the 1:1 optics on it and call it done.
Old 02-07-2007, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SES50
We have looked into putting a flip mount for a magnifier on an M1A in the past and you end up running into few issues.

1) It is going to be really difficult to get the eye relief on the magnifier correct because of your mounting constraints. Maybe, someone has made a mount recently that allows this. 1.5 years ago we could not find anything that worked nicely and we were thinking of machining one out.

2) If you do get the eye relief issues figured out with blocks and rear extensions the thing is so high off the barrel that when it flips I think it gets in the way of the bolt coming back. You will also have to space the what ever 1:1 optics you are using up as well. The look of the hole thing goes to hell.

3) When you put the arms #18 mount over the reciever it is not at the same hieght as the barrel mount that comes on the Socom 16. So if you want the rails at the same base hieght to start building off of you will need to look into a Knight rail that goes from front to back.

It is alot easier to mount a scope with really low-mid magnification if you want to do a bunch of different things with it at different yardages. If you are just building a CQB rifle then put one of the 1:1 optics on it and call it done.
Did you look at this:
http://www.ultimak.com/BuyM14.htm

Seems that this should address most of your concerns....
WTB: CZ452
Old 02-07-2007, 10:42 AM

go with an aimpoint.

an eotech sitting on the factory scout mount will make the window sit high. but if you plan on adding a cheek pad you'd be good to go.
Old 02-08-2007, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat
Did you look at this:
http://www.ultimak.com/BuyM14.htm

Seems that this should address most of your concerns....
That still will not get the magnifier close enough to your eye that you will be able to see through it. It is a nice setup but you will still need a scope if you want any sort of magnification. For full field of view on the aimpoint 3x magnifier the eye relief is approximately 2.5". The eye relief max and min on the magnifier is 1.57"-3.54". The scope I have on my M1A is 3.5" eye relief and the back of the scope is about 1" back from the rear sight plane. You are going to be real hard pressed to get any 1:1 optics on with one of the magnifier flip off mounts.

If you do get it working I would love to see pictures. Without making your own mount that possibly goes into the holes on the receiver for adjusting the rear iron sight similar to the white feather M1A mount, I do not think you will get a magnifier on that rifle without it looking like a total abortion.

This discussion is about magnification not about getting a 1:1 optic on the rifle correct?
Old 02-08-2007, 8:49 AM

I have put both eotech and the aimpoint on my scout. The eotech is going to sit really high. I tried it on the forward mount and also the sadlak mount. I went with the aimpoint for a while. It had a lower profile on the forward mount. I like the eotech much better just not for the m1a
Old 02-08-2007, 9:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratus et Vigilans
a SOCOM 16 is really not a "reach out and touch someone" kind of tool anyway. It's more of a "reach out and blow a giant gaping maw of a hole in something nearby" kind of tool. Every toolbox ought to have one!

Exactly...I shoot mine with open sights, my friend shoots his with an Aimpoint. We were both hitting clay pigeons @220 yds. Not consistently, but minute of man, no problem. I think he was kind of bummed because he was getting the same results as me, only he had a $500 ad-on. I never really intended on shooting the rifle that far when I got it. I have scoped bolt rifles for that kind of thing, and a nice floating barreled AR.
Old 02-08-2007, 9:47 AM

Has anyone tried a 2x Aimpoint on their 16? that would seem to me to be a help, if you dont want to add a lot of other stuff on, and just use the stock mount. Just a thought. Has anyone tried it?
Also, How quick is can you pick up targets for those that have put a scout scope on theirs?
Obe One
Old 02-10-2007, 2:25 PM

So,
Has anyone tried a 2X Aimpoint?
Old 02-10-2007, 2:55 PM

Why choose between 1x and magnified scope. Get both.

Horus Talon 1-4x scope.

The 4x reticle is good enough to 400 yd+.

and at 1x it shrinks to a circle just like the eotech.
Old 02-10-2007, 7:09 PM

3par,
what stock is that, how much heavier is it than standard stock?
Old 02-10-2007, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeOne
So,
Has anyone tried a 2X Aimpoint?

I have one. I like it. I have had an eotech on an AR but not on my scout. Doesnt feel right to me on there for some reason. Someday I want to get a good 1-8x illuminated scope on it. I think that that would be better.
Old 02-10-2007, 7:40 PM

+1 for IOR scopes. The one on Springfield's site and shown in some of the SOCOM II brochures is a IOR 1.1-4.

I use the 2-12 w/ MP-8 Recticle on my Socom 16 and love it so much that I bought a 2nd one for one of my FALs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SES50
I have a long barrel M1A loaded and I put on a 2-12 varable 35mm tube scope from IOR. It comes with rings as well. I love the scope since I can do close stuff and long distance. IOR has a 1.5-8 varable with a 35mm tube that I am thinking of putting on my AR-15 with a 16" barrel. I figure I can shoot comps with it as well as go shoot vermin as well. AT first they seem a little pricey but if you figure you would buy a Aimpoint or EOTech and a 3X magnifier and all the hardware to mount it you are at the same price with the same weight and more magnification. I am really happy with thier scopes. Here is the website.

http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03?tok...yh6xyDywVs4ItQ

You can find them cheaper than the website if you look around on the web.
Old 02-10-2007, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeOne
3par,
what stock is that, how much heavier is it than standard stock?
It is a Sage EBR with Law483 Cali tail stock.
It add significant weight to the stock.
If you want something lighter, get a GI synthetic, shorten the LOP and add rails to 3-6-9 in front.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icoburn View Post

Sweet setup with the Knights rail.....

So a SOCOM with a preban mag is ok in Cali huh?
Old 04-18-2008, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

i heard this can help with that

http://www.ultimak.com/M8.htm
Old 04-18-2008, 4:02 PM

Millet DMS-1!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 9:45 PM

Old 04-18-2008, 10:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Your rifle looks like it's on stilts with the bipod up like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknadine1111 View Post
Old 04-19-2008, 6:33 AM
Veteran Member

The Eotech is a great optic.....unfortunately, the cheek weld you have to achieve is quite uncomfortable. It sits very high on the SoCom and you would have to get a cheek rest.....IMHO, the SoCom seems better as a pure Iron Sights weapon......old school, no questions asked.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller View Post
The Eotech is a great optic.....unfortunately, the cheek weld you have to achieve is quite uncomfortable. It sits very high on the SoCom and you would have to get a cheek rest.....IMHO, the SoCom seems better as a pure Iron Sights weapon......old school, no questions asked.
Ultimak rail + Aimpoint low mounted actually co-witnesses. That's an excellent option.

As much as I like irons, optics are faster and easier. The SOCOM's thick front post is also best suited for quick/dirty, too.
Old 04-19-2008, 5:49 PM

I'm not sure this will help but here's my setup Ultimak rail system with Trijicon Tripower, Burrris tactical 30mm ultra low mount. I can Co-witness easily.

I bought my Ultimak Rail from these guys for 149.00 a few months ago but 179 is not that bad.
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/inde...roducts_id=561
Old 04-19-2008, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker View Post
Ultimak rail + Aimpoint low mounted actually co-witnesses. That's an excellent option.

As much as I like irons, optics are faster and easier. The SOCOM's thick front post is also best suited for quick/dirty, too.

True.....I shoulda bought an Aimpoint....That's why my Eo is up in the sale forums now...
Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 AM

Don't feel bad I just dropped $1500.00 for a scope, rings, and mount. But they are what I think after hours of discussion this rifle needs. It is a short barrel cqb rifle that can hit at 600 yards with out a problem so why not do what I did and buy a scope that has variable mag optics such as the 2.5-10x24mm NXS. The scope is a hollow mil-dot illuminated nightforce 2.5-10x24mm NXS that means I have close and far shots with just 1 scope and only have 1 battery and only have 1 thing to go wrong. You can see my rifle with the aimpoint ( try to see something past 300 yards with a red dot, the dot obscures the target)and the super sniper fixed ss10x42 is on this thread but the decision was not to overpower the rifle for it's intended purpose so I removed both the scopes and settled on one scope that fits both the close and far shot, that fit this rifle's barrel length of 16 inches and that is in mil-dot.

Last edited by ricknadine1111; 04-20-2008 at 12:33 AM..
Old 04-20-2008, 11:50 AM

I cant wait to shoot with this scope