Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:31 AM

Default Ar15 depot

I just ordered a complete upper from ar15depot.com was wondering if anyone has ordered from there before or not and jutting from the area code for their contact number they are in los angeles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2011, 7:21 PM

Did you look at their website before you ordered an upper. They sell mostly chicom junk!
Old 10-02-2011, 7:35 PM

" M4 Style Upper "

Sounds creepy. Like something I wouldn't want to shoot.
Old 10-02-2011, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

ditto what Don said
Old 10-02-2011, 8:06 PM

Ok I didn't know what there quality was and since its my first upper wanted something cheap at first then upgrade as i go like changing out the receiver with the cosomizable receiver from cmmg and eventually better barrel and everthing else

Old 10-02-2011, 8:20 PM

Seems that you should have aksed the question before placing the order.
Old 10-03-2011, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtshen View Post
Ok I didn't know what there quality was and since its my first upper wanted something cheap at first then upgrade as i go like changing out the receiver with the cosomizable receiver from cmmg and eventually better barrel and everthing else

Well you're going to get what you wanted because it's going to be cheap and will probably cost more money in the long run. It might work out fine though. There's a big difference between cheap and inexpensive. Cheap describes quality and inexpensive means getting quality item for the least amount of money. Here's an example if you buy an EOTech clone for $100 that's cheap. If you buy a new EOTech 512 for $300 that's inexpensive. Quality costs money and there are some very shady people that will sell junk as quality items.

I hope it works out for you ok.
Old 10-03-2011, 8:08 AM

Well at least he's out there punching holes in paper with what he can afford. We need more out there willing to join our recreation. Stgshen, do us a favor and get back with us after some time behind the rifle and give some feedback as to the quality for what you paid for. Lets face it, in this economy we need to pinch pennies and do what we can to enjoy our sport.

Genuine MMCS, Firefighter and father of two great kids!
Old 10-03-2011, 8:19 AM

Buy cheap spend twice, if its not too late return for a refund and build it right or buy a quality piece. good luck.

Clint Beyer, Clark Carbon Fiber Handguard, Mega Arms Billet GTR-3H Lower & Billet Upper &Mega Grip + trigger, Ace M4 SOCOM Stock, 1911 Cyliner & Slide Ultra II trigger kit ,EGW bushings & flgr conversion, Sightron III 10-50x60 & Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 Scope, Demon Tactical Quick Pin & Comp Brake, Young Manufacturing Inc National Match Bolt Carrier Chrome, American Defense Quick Disconnect Mount, Midwest Industries SS, JP Muzzle Brake,CMC Trigger
Old 10-03-2011, 8:27 AM
Veteran Member

it's not worth buying cheep crap to upgrade. you're spending more money in the long run - when you could have just saved an extra few bucks and got quality stuff from the start.
Old 10-03-2011, 1:10 PM

I wouldnt worry about what these guys say regarding the uppers. If youre shooting paper, then you wont have a problem. I would call them and see who makes the parts, bolts, barrels, etc. I know some parts can be from companies such as Continental Machine and Tool, who is the parent company of Stag arms and makes parts for other companies.

People here will tell you to spend thousands and buy a BCM or Noveske, but they dont understand that a $500 upper will do anything a $1000 upper can.
Old 10-03-2011, 1:48 PM

One of their people once told me that there wasn't really a difference between airsoft gear and the real thing.
I decided to spend my money elsewhere.
Old 10-03-2011, 1:55 PM

So the stress from shooting a .223 can be withheld by an airsoft gun?
Old 10-03-2011, 2:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalKitty View Post
it's not worth buying cheep crap to upgrade. you're spending more money in the long run - when you could have just saved an extra few bucks and got quality stuff from the start.
blah blah blah - you probably didnt even bother to look at the link before responding or have any idea of what you are talking about anyway.

there is nothing wrong with cheap ar parts usually - they may not have the best finish or the coolest engravings for full auto when they arent but they usually work well enough to function. No one can afford to sell an upper that is going to blow up in your face.

the iffy part is when you get into accessories or differing materials like plastic lowers. accessories because they can always blame you for assembly and plastic lowers they will make the same bs excuses for how they "test endless combinations of uppers they have no proof of"

I've bought more than a few parts kits for ar's and all of them that at least have m4 feed ramps work just fine.
Old 10-03-2011, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardKaram View Post
So the stress from shooting a .223 can be withheld by an airsoft gun?
I didn't even get into a discussion with him over the statement, just decided to take my business elsewhere.
Old 10-03-2011, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by donking View Post
Seems that you should have aksed the question before placing the order.
100% agree.
Old 10-03-2011, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy_clothing View Post
blah blah blah - you probably didnt even bother to look at the link before responding or have any idea of what you are talking about anyway.

there is nothing wrong with cheap ar parts usually - they may not have the best finish or the coolest engravings for full auto when they arent but they usually work well enough to function. No one can afford to sell an upper that is going to blow up in your face.

the iffy part is when you get into accessories or differing materials like plastic lowers. accessories because they can always blame you for assembly and plastic lowers they will make the same bs excuses for how they "test endless combinations of uppers they have no proof of"

I've bought more than a few parts kits for ar's and all of them that at least have m4 feed ramps work just fine.

Actually I did look at the link. I remembered when I got there that I had already looked over the site once before.

Both my ARs that I built are not made with the most expensive or name brand parts you can find. But I do buy from trusted sources... and having an entire upper with not so much as "m4 type" attached to it for specs is pretty risky... especially considering the price is hardly cheaper than getting a say.. BCM upper assembly.

Nothing wrong with cheap parts? right - just go ahead and buy any chinese made AR parts you can find, put together an AR and run it for a day... see how it functions.

m4 feedramps? what does that have to do with anything? Did you know LaRue doesn't make ANY RIFLES with m4 feedramps? Never seem to remember any of the LaRue completes I shot (which is maybe 4 or 6) EVER malfunctioning.

All that aside. If you had even READ past the first post - you would know that the OP knows it's crap.. and just wants some cheep parts that he will eventually throw away when he saves up to upgrade the things like barrel and such.

why would you buy parts to throw away? just buy the right parts to begin with and have it settled.

Last edited by FatalKitty; 10-03-2011 at 2:40 PM..
Old 10-03-2011, 2:47 PM

Here is an idea..

1) buy some crap
2) you most likely end up buying more crap
3) have a pile of useless crap laying around

it's just bunch of crap
Old 10-03-2011, 3:50 PM

Did you ask if they warranty their uppers? What the return policy is?

I went looking for reviews on AR15depot and found pretty much nothing other then some testimonials on their web page.

Was a big consideration when I went looking for a upper in my price range. I found that PSA had what I wanted in my price point, guaranteed it for 1 year, and there was plenty of reviews and web chatter about the company.

Now you may be getting a great upper at a great price and if you do please review it and give us feedback. Well if it falls apart after first use please also let us know so someone else can be warned

Old 10-03-2011, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

How in the hell do people fall into these traps when we have real vendors selling real stuff advertising on this site? I think it's yet another case of trying to save a buck, without knowing a thing.
Old 10-03-2011, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post
How in the hell do people fall into these traps when we have real vendors selling real stuff advertising on this site? I think it's yet another case of trying to save a buck, without knowing a thing.
that's right!
you can buy quality stuff for just a little more from local shops even from some vendors on here at CGN.

but people are impatient... end up buying some cheap junk on some random website and when stuff goes bad... blame the functionality of the AR and buy an AK
Old 10-03-2011, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Thought I'd come back to this thread and see if everyone is done beating up on the OP about his purchase.

Not everybody has there pockets so full of money, that it's starting to fall out.

Some nice looking uppers on their site, maybe I'll order one.
Old 10-03-2011, 5:11 PM
In Memoriam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'd consider going with another vendor just based on the fact that they've been around longer. For example check out this upper from Palmetto, with shipping it's $415, which is actually $20 less then the ar15depot.com upper, although it doesn't have the quad rail. But then there an ad in commercial sales for a quad rail, $45 shipped, so you could get the Palmetto upper, with rail, for only $25 more. I think the Palmetto has a FN barrel, their barrels all come off the same line, so it's the same as US military gets.

Odds are the upper the OP is buying will do the job just fine, but it's when something goes wrong that dealing with an established vendor with a great rep comes in handy.

Last edited by FastFinger; 10-03-2011 at 5:19 PM..
Old 10-03-2011, 5:23 PM

Well, at least you can legally resell airsoft gear on craigslist...

There's a mistaken impression that conservatives don't like the environment. We do, we love the environment. We just call it the outdoors and we go there to kill stuff.
-PJ O'Rourke
Old 10-03-2011, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG View Post
Thought I'd come back to this thread and see if everyone is done beating up on the OP about his purchase.

Not everybody has there pockets so full of money, that it's starting to fall out.

Some nice looking uppers on their site, maybe I'll order one.
One word to cure the "not having pockets of money"..

Palmetto.
Old 10-03-2011, 5:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post
One word to cure the "not having pockets of money"..

Palmetto.
pssshh, google shopping baby!

I got a LMT upper brand new shipped for 385!

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 10-03-2011, 5:58 PM

This is an email interaction with one of the guys (if not The guy) from AR15depot...

from Me
to info@ar15depot.com
date Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 8:42 PM
subject ar-15 upper question

Hello,

I was curious to know which manufacturers make the following parts for a couple of your uppers

#SP053
Spiral Fluted Barrel
Quad Rail system
Bolt Carrier Group
Gas Block
A3 Upper Receiver

Fluted Barrel
Muzzle Brake
Quad Rail system
Bolt Carrier Group
A3 Upper Receiver
date Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 8:45 PM
subject Re: ar-15 upper question

Ard

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide
date Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Do you have a link to this "Ard" company?
date Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 9:14 PM

We are ard ardepot.com

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide
date Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Arddealer.com

Yeah...
Old 10-03-2011, 6:08 PM

I'm sure that if most of you followed where the parts that are in your mil spec AR's actually come from you would be surprised. As long as a company has good quality control and uses the same grade materials it really doesn't matter where it is produced.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
George Carlin, US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)

"High Speed, Low Drag..GoodToGo" RTT-CQB Man

www.facebook.com/sureshotprecision

Old 10-03-2011, 7:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
pssshh, google shopping baby!

I got a LMT upper brand new shipped for 385!
That's what I'm talking about Willis
Old 10-06-2011, 4:22 PM

Just shot my ar bout an hour ago and it handled really well and almost no recoil guess i might not have to put a muzzle brake on it after all and there was not much heat coming from it for the first 30 rounds going out saturday to put alot more ammo through it

Old 10-06-2011, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just shot my ar bout an hour ago and it handled really well and almost no recoil guess i might not have to put a muzzle brake on it after all and there was not much heat coming from it for the first 30 rounds going out saturday to put alot more ammo through it

good to know. The .223 doesn't have much recoil - and you won't notice any heat until MANY more rounds than that!
Old 10-06-2011, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalKitty View Post
good to know. The .223 doesn't have much recoil - and you won't notice any heat until MANY more rounds than that!
Im not shooting .223 i have the 5.56
Yes well maybe this barrel is just diff than the military issued barrels

Old 10-06-2011, 8:16 PM

So does the barrel coatings help with heat dissipation?

Old 10-06-2011, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

i saw them at the glendale gun show but didnt really interact with them. maybe i should have.
"We bury you now still while you breathe Dead as the void that you've left here in me Deeper and deeper spent memories Cremating all that would bear your disease An end is what you wanted, the end is what you'll receive Onward into battle forever we soldier unflinchingly undying and free"
Old 10-06-2011, 8:32 PM

I honestly am going to try and find out just how resilient the whole upper is but i was hesitant bout buying from anyone at first

Old 10-06-2011, 9:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Old 10-06-2011, 9:14 PM

No facepalm lmao i just didn't know the difference between the barrels so must mean the military barrels are.complete.crap lmao well i never really cared for m16s i always liked the newer m4s which are supposed to be better :/

Old 10-06-2011, 9:15 PM

Quote:

Old 10-06-2011, 9:30 PM

The OP has to be messing with us. At least I hope so.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:00 PM

There are some pretty decent deals in the market place on uppers all the time. Stag, Spikes, DPMS, CMMG are all pretty reputable uppers you can get new or used here. I'd be skeptical of any unknown brand unless there are plenty of reviews or experiences where the vendor stood by their products.

I've seen AR15 Depot at guns shows before and their uppers seem pretty decent at the time just handling them, but you can't really tell without putting rounds through it. The guy told me the stainless spiral fluted barrels were made by them right here in Los Angeles.

Still I'd rather spend a little bit more and get an upper from a more recognizable company with plenty of proven feedback from a large audience.