Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-01-2011, 8:52 PM

Default Lassen, CA gunsmithing?

is Lassen community college a good gunsmithing school? Also are there any ranges up there?
Old 10-01-2011, 9:08 PM
Calguns Addict

The latest posts I"ve read have not been positive: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ing+susanville

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 10-01-2011, 9:19 PM
Jonathan Doe

I have attended many 1 week long summer classes, and they were good. They have a range not too far from the state prison. You can also shoot in the BLM land off the side of the road.
Old 10-01-2011, 9:24 PM

oh.. wow. well thats, disappointing.. thought i was going there next year..
Old 10-01-2011, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun7 View Post
I have attended many 1 week long summer classes, and they were good. They have a range not too far from the state prison. You can also shoot in the BLM land off the side of the road.
state prison. haha oh yay. but pretty awesome to hear there is BLM land close by

was it anything like that one guy said in the long thread? about "no help and its the alumni who are NOT teaching anyone..?"

Last edited by NYY; 10-01-2011 at 9:41 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 9:07 AM

The good news is that there is BLM land all around, it's beautiful up there with many sites to see, can still find arrowheads out walking along.

But the bad news is that I've been seeing a lot of negative posts about the program, not just here on Calguns.

Old 10-02-2011, 9:44 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

... and Nevada is just an hour away!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Jonathan Doe

I am planning to go there next summer for 2 week long 1911 customization class and a week long rifle barreling class. Custom 1911 class was used to be taught by Terry Tussey. I don't know who is teaching it now.

It is a beautiful place with lakes and snow on the mountain top still in summer months. Nice and quite place. One of the screens at the theatre is almost as big as my big screen TV .
Old 10-02-2011, 12:46 PM

This one I posted in Gunsmithing & How To Name: Lassen CC Gunsmithing? Don't Waste Your Time .

To be a good Gunsmith you need training as Machinist back in the 1920's-1950's. Most schools to day send very little time on machine work or even word work. It is cheaper just to have a class with Desks and chairs. In books before I was born it took 4 years of high school in shop class then 2 to 4 years in in college. Then in the trade 5 to 10 years work the trade. Today I do not see any Course in high school or colleges. Trade school is trying to do this any any 6 to 18 months or as some will say part replacer gunsmiths. I only see schools teaching CNC low pay jobs.

The way to look at this how do you become a good gunsmith in just a short time. I look at all the schools in gunsmitning as a finishing school or save your money and buy a good book on gunsmith's

Dave

Web site: http://gunsmithing1.tripod.com/ Email at gunsmithing@live.com
Our focus is working on your firearms, We do not engage sales or transfer of firearms.
Gunshop and Gunsmith Services Pricing
Other interest web site in Fresno Clovis CA
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe9/

Any posting of mine are not legal advice, which can only be given by a Attorney.