Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-01-2011, 7:40 PM

Default AR-15 or Mini-14

I am looking to buy my first center fire rifle and was wondering if I should get a Mini-14 or AR-15. My intent with this gun is shooting at 100+ yards as well as having a gun that is fun to shoot but can also be used for home defense( I know a pistol would be better for home defense). I would really appreciate any feed back.

If you have other recommendations please feel free to make them.

Respectfully,
Mr.Bulmat

Last edited by Mr.Bulmat; 10-01-2011 at 7:58 PM..
Old 10-01-2011, 7:46 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

What are your intentions for it? Are you going to shoot for small groups on paper at a hundred or 200 yards? Are you trying to hit a coke can at 30 yards, are you using it for defense, or whats the intent. That will help a lot more.
Old 10-01-2011, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
What are your intentions for it? Are you going to shoot for small groups on paper at a hundred or 200 yards? Are you trying to hit a coke can at 30 yards, are you using it for defense, or whats the intent. That will help a lot more.
Former AR-15, Later Mini-14.
I have both. I wouldn't be without either.
YMMV

NRA Patron Member
NRA Range Safety Officer

I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. –Stephen Covey
كافر
Old 10-01-2011, 7:58 PM

My intent would be to use it for target shooting at 100+ yards as well as just plain fun. I am looking for the gun that can be used for almost anything.
Old 10-01-2011, 8:14 PM

Default Target vs. defense

For target shooting, an AR-15. For home defense, Mini-14.

The Mini-14, you can use detachable mags. For an AR-15, you'll need to use a bullet button. You'll need to decide the primary purpose.
Old 10-01-2011, 8:29 PM

I guess I just want the rifle that can do it all. I am not a fan of the bullet button so I might go with the monster man grip. The mini-14 also seems a little easier on the wallet, but I would build my own ar-15.
Old 10-01-2011, 8:44 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
For target shooting, an AR-15. For home defense, Mini-14.

The Mini-14, you can use detachable mags. For an AR-15, you'll need to use a bullet button. You'll need to decide the primary purpose.
Not true, you can build a featureless rifle and have the best of both worlds. You could scope an 18" AR, still quite able around an urban environment, capable of sub MOA with the right gear, able to drop pre-ban mags without issue, and great for the range. I say go featureless build.
Old 10-01-2011, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

AR15 no question.
Old 10-01-2011, 9:00 PM

thanks for the AK-74 mention but I still have to have a bullet button with that, unless I get a monster man grip for it, still bullet button isn't as bad as the AR-15
Old 10-01-2011, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyj09 View Post
You should be asking AK-47 or AK-74.

I'm not very familiar with the mini 14, but I can tell you that an AR-15 is a good choice for only a select few:

1) If you want a gun that you need to do a deep, DEEP cleaning (hours + pipe cleaners + q-tips) to make sure it functions (if you're lucky), by all means get an AR-15.

2) If you want a range queen (competition gun) where you go out every weekend, set all of your gear up, and shoot 200+yards with good accuracy, by all means get an AR-15.

3) If someone breaks in your house at night, and you want to grab a rifle that you cannot count on, by all means get an AR-15.

As for the AK platform:

1) If you want a gun that could most likely never be cleaned, and still function flawlessly, go with an AK.

2) If you want a rifle that you can take to the range, and more importantly into World War 3, get an AK.

3) If you someone breaks into your house at night, and you want to grab a rifle that will put someone down, every time you squeeze the trigger, get an AK.

Basic breakdown of the AK vs AR argument is as follows:

Accuracy: AR > AK
Stopping power: AK >> AR
Reliability: AK >>>>>> AR

Many will say that accuracy is the most important thing blah blah blah, but just remember this:

1) The most accurate gun in the world will never find its mark if it doesn't go bang when you want it to.

2) Also, in modern day combat, when the hell are you going to be shooting 300+ yards? Any modern day combat will be urban warfare where you're shooting at a max of 100 yards, and if you go any further, get a remmington 700, or a mosin nagant.

I would take the cheapest AK before the most expensive AR ANY DAY.

The only reason AR's are so popular is because of Hollywood, accessories, and they look "sexy". Don't waste your money on an inferior weapon.

Op Ar, Mini 14 and Saiga riffles all would fit your need just fine. Choosing between those will be largely personal preference.
We are a dynamic community that reflects society at large. If there is a trait that distinguishes us it is that we're protectors of the the infirm, the elderly, and defenseless women (often sorority sisters who like beer & pillow fights). That means that at some point we may be called on to do battle with zombies. That is nothing to be ashamed of. .
Old 10-01-2011, 9:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ignore what nyj09 said.

The Mini14 is an extremely reliable rifle that doesn't need a mag lock but won't be a precision rifle.

An AR15 can be set up in many ways depending on what you want. If you own legal hi caps set it up featureless. If not I would use a bullet button and features.

They both have their pros and cons but a Mini14 will be a less "evil" looking rifle while the AR will be more precise and more modular.
Old 10-01-2011, 9:20 PM

I would also agree with Bhobbs. The mini 14 is an excellent rifle for home defense or to just to fire. I'veown several and they are light on the wallet. As far as reliability of an ar, it's not as bad as nyj09 makes it out to be. I pretty sure you are not going to store it in a sandbox or a mud pile. If it was so unreliable, why does are military use it. It does jam to improper maintainance, but the combat zone is different from home use.
Old 10-01-2011, 9:20 PM

Default AR no question.

Here's the deal. I had a mini-14 for over 30 years, and I liked it, but it is no AR. Though the min-14 was very reliable, it did jam a few times ( as do all auto-loaders). The Mini-14 will disapoint you when target shooting, it just isn't inherently accurate (the non-floating barrel is always going to be an issue with accuracy). It is possible to build a mini-14 that is reasonably accurate but, like an M1a, it will require tuning and maintanence to get and keep accuracy. Any decent bull barrel, free float tube AR will do better than MOA, in fact my cheap Rock River shoots 0.5 moa 10 shot groups with HSM (inexpensive) match ammo. No tuning, no adjustments, just put it together, load it with good ammo, aim carfully and shoot. For me, a long time target shooter, there is nothing so frustrating as shooting a gun that doesn't hit where I am aiming. I should say that there is one thing that is more frustrating than an inaccurate rifle, that is an unreliable rifle. I now have numerous AR style rifles, all were inexpensive to build, none have ever jammed or failed to fire (accept my LR 308, but that was onlynduring breakin and I found and fixed the problem). I have fired well over 1000 rounds of dozens of types of ammo, and have not had a single problem. In 1000 rounds my Mini-14 jammed numerous times. Oh, and the Mini-14 probably never shot better than 2-3 moa, and I can regularly shoot well below MOA on a rifle that can do it.
Old 10-01-2011, 9:22 PM

Sounds like you want a Saiga in either .223 or 7.62x39 and leave it stock so you can drop mags, no bullet button. Accuracy and BB free of a Mini with the Ak reliability. And it's half the price of a Mini and AR.
Old 10-01-2011, 9:42 PM

Ins't the Saiga just like the AK version of the mini-14. Is it reliable and accurate?
Looks good thanks for the help.
Old 10-01-2011, 9:43 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I'm not very familiar with the mini 14, but I can tell you that an AR-15 is a good choice for only a select few:

The only reason AR's are so popular is because of Hollywood, accessories, and they look "sexy". Don't waste your money on an inferior weapon.
Wow talk about thread de-railing.

Well back to the original question: I have both AR's and a Mini14. Haven't had any problems with either the AR15 type system nor the Mini-14. I had my Mini-14 accurized by ASI before the OLL movement, and as a result they are both equally accurate rifles. If I were to buy a Mini14 now, straight out the box, I know it won't have the same accuracy as an AR, but just for fun, plinking I just enjoy the way it feels when I am shooting it.

The main issue I have with the Mini14 is the ejection pattern of the brass (reach out and touch the person 200 yards away to my right), and the Ruger mags 10 round mags can be pretty expensive.

I wouldn't pay attention to what nyj09 said about the reliablity and mall-ninjasque appeal of the AR. The AR vs AK arguement is overdone, and really comes down to what you want in a rifle, and not that one is decidedly inferior compared to the other.
Old 10-02-2011, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
Not true, you can build a featureless rifle and have the best of both worlds. You could scope an 18" AR, still quite able around an urban environment, capable of sub MOA with the right gear, able to drop pre-ban mags without issue, and great for the range. I say go featureless build.
You're right. I've owned AR's since before the Clinton ban, so I have a tough time thinking of a MM grip rifle or U-15 rifle as a true AR. They just don't look and feel right to some old school like me.... But my biases shouldn't come into play and so yes a featureless build would work.
Old 10-02-2011, 6:53 AM

I had a Mini-14 that was reliable but not accurate, sold it to my brother in law for $300 and all my Wolf ammo. Used the money to buy a 20" BCM upper. We're both happy.
Old 10-02-2011, 6:54 AM

For home defense: Practically speaking, i don't think either the .223 or the 7.62x39 are ideal for home defense (get a cheap 12 ga. pump shotgun to repel boarders). I hope you don't live in a neighborhood where you are going to be in such a firefight as to need multiple high cap mags, either. If you are, I'd move.

The AR is a reliable platform. Much of the unreliability rep comes from the very early days of Viet Nam, when the initial position was that the rifle didn't need cleaning (and they shot dirty ammo). The AR does not require hours of meticulous cleaning to run and is very reliable. It can also be made to shoot very accurately. You can get one in just about any configuration you want, from "pistol" to long range "space gun". It truly is the Mr. Potatohead of rifles; you can get multiple uppers and have multiple rifles, too.

I also own a Mini-14, but it sits in the back of the safe. It is a mid-90s Ranch Rifle and is notoriously inaccurate (though if I had to shoot a coyote at 50 yards, it would do the job). I'd use it as a truck gun if I lived in a place that allowed that, or I needed it, but it is strictly a short range utility rifle (that doesn't look like an AR, which can be an advantage). Yeah, you can spend hundreds to get it to shoot almost as good as a stock AR, but that's sort of like polishing a turd. It can be done, but what's the point?

An SKS would be an alternative to the Mini-14, but not to the AR....

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member

Last edited by popeye4; 10-02-2011 at 6:59 AM..
Old 10-02-2011, 7:26 AM

Quote:

1) If you want a gun that you need to do a deep, DEEP cleaning (hours + pipe cleaners + q-tips) to make sure it functions (if you're lucky), by all means get an AR-15.

2) If you want a range queen (competition gun) where you go out every weekend, set all of your gear up, and shoot 200+yards with good accuracy, by all means get an AR-15.

3) If someone breaks in your house at night, and you want to grab a rifle that you cannot count on, by all means get an AR-15.

As for the AK platform:

1) If you want a gun that could most likely never be cleaned, and still function flawlessly, go with an AK.

2) If you want a rifle that you can take to the range, and more importantly into World War 3, get an AK.

3) If you someone breaks into your house at night, and you want to grab a rifle that will put someone down, every time you squeeze the trigger, get an AK.

Many will say that accuracy is the most important thing blah blah blah, but just remember this:

1) The most accurate gun in the world will never find its mark if it doesn't go bang when you want it to.

2) Also, in modern day combat, when the hell are you going to be shooting 300+ yards? Any modern day combat will be urban warfare where you're shooting at a max of 100 yards, and if you go any further, get a remmington 700, or a mosin nagant.

Wow, what a load of crap.......

I would go with an AR15, simply because you want a rifle that can do it all, and no rifle alone can fill that bill perfectly. With the AR15, you could use one lower, and two different uppers on hand that could cover nearly any type of shooting you'd like to do. Mini 14's are actually about the same cost wise. I haven't seen them for less than $700 new, and that is about the same for the S&W sporter, and Delton.

Last edited by gunsarefun; 10-02-2011 at 7:30 AM..
Old 10-02-2011, 7:39 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=gunsarefun;7252039]Wow, what a load of crap.......

Yep, Why do you think the top 3 gun shooters run AR-15's, and not Mini's and AKs...........

Old 10-02-2011, 8:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can't we all just get along? I love all my guns.
Old 10-02-2011, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpyro View Post
Can't we all just get along? I love all my guns.
It's rather hard to do that when some people here post incredibly biased and, more importantly, simply untrue posts. It can severely misinform the OP, and is how the stupid internet FUD snowball starts rolling.
Old 10-02-2011, 9:23 AM

anything that shoots bullets is good for defence, reliability is another question.
Affordable reliability is paramount.
Old 10-02-2011, 9:48 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bulmat View Post
I am looking to buy my first center fire rifle and was wondering if I should get a Mini-14 or AR-15. My intent with this gun is shooting at 100+ yards as well as having a gun that is fun to shoot but can also be used for home defense( I know a pistol would be better for home defense). I would really appreciate any feed back.

Respectfully,
Mr.Bulmat
Mr Bulmat,

Your requirements are undemanding. Either of your top two will do just fine. If you have no preference for operation or controls, again, it's a wash. There are a few pros and cons between the two, none of them all that major at the ranges you are interested in for a "general purpose" carbine:

1) Mini mags are relatively expensive compared to AR15 mags
2) Out of the box accuracy from a sandbag/rifle rest will tend to favor the AR15 using the same ammunition at the same distances, but for a practical general purpose rifle fired standing or knelling, you won't notice the difference.
3) The AR15 sights are better, but nothing you can't fix fairly inexpensively on the Mini if it bothers you.
4) There are more accessories and "upgrades" available for the AR15 which is both a good and bad thing - much of that list is junk.
5) Mini 14 tends to be a bit heavier though there are stocks to drop some weight if that matters. AR15's can have barrels turned and furniture can be selected to make them very light indeed if you plan to carry it on long hikes.
6) Mini's are mostly not fussy even when dirty with both grime and propellent deposits.

Either or both would serve you well.

R
Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Here in Ca, if I was looking for a .223 rifle to have fun with, no question it would be an AR .

If I was looking self defense .223 rifle, new style MINI-14 and a bunch of ruger factory ten round magazines is what I would get.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Jonathan Doe

Although I have many rifles, and couple registered AR's, my go to gun is a Mini-14. Old simple. reliable, compact and accurate enough for me. It will feed 5.56 or 223.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:

As for the AK platform:

Epic fail and disinformation. Ignore most of this.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Respectfully,
Mr.Bulmat
I have and like both, what I write here is just my opnion so make up your own mind about it.

For HD, i would usualy say Shotgun instead of rifle, but if you want a HD rifle, I would say the mini-14, at longer ranges(200+ yards) the accuracy differences between the new model(581 series) and an AR become an issue for target shooting, but for HD your likely not going to be shooting 200 yards. For HD I would want the ability to change magazines without a tool, I have tried the featureless AR builds, but really did not like them, they always seemd uncomfortable and difficult to shoot(again, personal opnion).

out to 100 yards the accuracy difference between a mini-14 and an AR is basicly meaningless unless your doing competition shooting and you absolutely must hit exactly on the bullseye every shot, your not going to notice a practical difference between the two at those ranges. Out to 100 yards I can hit a 3 inch target without any difficulty, so as far as I am concerned that's good enough, further out(say 300 yards) my AR is definitly more accurate, but I dont shoot that far very often.

Now, there is one thing about an AR that is hands down better than the mini-14, it is the Mister Potaohead of guns. if you buy a stripped lower you can build it up into anything you want, in most any caliber you want(everything from .22lr up to the big .50 beowulf and .410 shotshells can be put on a basic lower). So if you want to customize your gun, get the AR.

As far as being reliable, the AR is fine, I could see match guns getting a bit picky about how they are run, but I have gone through 500 rounds in a day with mine with no malfunctions, and I will sometimes go 1000-1500 rounds before cleaning my mini-14 with no problems.

Last edited by robcoe; 10-02-2011 at 12:19 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

both. I built a nice AR and now wish I had a wood stock mini 14, really just for aesthetic reasons. They're both going to be fun to shoot at 100yds, its really just personal preference.
Old 10-02-2011, 1:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The 580 and 581 series of the Mini-14 have a good reputation for reliability. I have one of each. The Mini 14 not a rifle for those who agonize over minutes of angle -- it will have "rack-grade" accuracy which means it is accurate enough for an Appleseed. With appropriate ammunition there is no reason it cannot be a decent home defense rifle. I like Hornady TAP for that but YMMV.

If there is any criticism I can raise to the Mini-14 for your requirements is it that it can really throw the ejected brass a good distance. This annoys the shooter next to you and sometime the shooter next to him. On a good day you can hit a shooter three or more lanes away.
Old 10-02-2011, 1:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wink

Quote:
Ah, typical butt-hurt AR fanatic. Epic fail and disinformation, yet you don't "correct" anything I said. Im just trying to save the guy from wasting double or triple the money on an inferior weapon. AR's are an OK weapon, I would buy one if I lived in another state just to bring to the range and throw a bumpfire stock on it. Otherwise, if I had to "bug out" I would leave it behind. On second thought, I would bring it with me so I could sell it to one of these AR lovers on here as soon as their beloved AR fails in every sense of the word.

Facts are facts, Ill say it once again, you want a range queen, get an AR, you want a battle rifle, get an AK. From what the OP said, he wanted a HD rifle that he could also plink around with at the range. Now if he said "I want an accurate competition rifle", I would have said go with the AR.

Damn people get defensive on this forum!
You are just the typical AK fanboy. AR is junk AK is awesome when you don't provide anything to back up your statement. AKs are reliable rifles but ARs are pretty damn reliable too. The early issues were caused by the military changing specs for the rifle.
Old 10-02-2011, 1:34 PM

Hi,

Here's my two cents.

Regardless of which platform you choose, the most important factor is you. I spent many years with the AR platform in service and it worked fine because I maintained it and understood it's limitations. Whether it was in frozen mountains, humid jungles, or sandy deserts, my service rifle functioned because I adapted it's maintenance to the environment. Understanding and knowing the platform's requirements and limitations will help you become a better gun owner.

As for selecting a platform, that's really up to you. But no worries, the Mini 14/30, AR series, AK series and even the SKS platforms are all good choices. I have one of each and enjoy them fairly equally. I would suggest that you go out to a range and try each platform out. Some ranges have rentals available or bring a friend who owns one and borrow theirs.

Good luck and enjoy!
American Legion Member

CCW: OR, UT, FL, AZ, NV

"Every tyrant in history has known you can't control an armed population. That is why Hitler, Stalin and Mao were strongly against an armed citizenry, while George Washington, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were for it." - B. Wentzel, AZ.
Old 10-02-2011, 1:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ah, typical butt-hurt AR fanatic.
Your calling him a fanatic and you answered the OPs question with something that wasn't even an option and went on a long tirade about how the AR is inferior to the AK? Um, pot calling the kettle black much?

Quote:
Epic fail and disinformation, yet you don't "correct" anything I said.
He did correct you were wrong on all accounts. He didn't want to go into detail because you are a threadjacking troll and didn't want to contribute to the threadjack. I on the other hand don't mind so I'll start with one of the many facepalms you deserve, no one takes over an hour cleaning an AR, no one. Pat Rogers put over 40,000 rounds through his AR without a cleaning, how many rounds have you put through your AK total? I haven't cleaned my AR in years. Now I am sure you have more battlefield knowledge than the US military, IDF, Canadian military, Austrian military, Iraqi military, Afghani military, as well as various other countries in Asia, Europe, Africa and South America who have or currently standardized the M16 for their military, but it sure seems to be fitting their needs very well.

Quote:
Facts are facts, Ill say it once again, you want a range queen, get an AR, you want a battle rifle, get an AK.
Aww yes because that is what US military, IDF, Canadian military, Austrian military, Iraqi military, Afghani military, as well as various other countries in Asia, Europe, Africa and South America who have or currently standardized the M16 for their military, use it for is "range queen" stuff right? That is why it is one of the most popular rifles for carbine courses and competition right, for "range queen" stuff.

Quote:
Defensive? Your trolling/baiting, threadjacking, and spreading an epic amount of BS. Keep drinking the kool aid pal. If you don't like it here then leave.

"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened." – Norman Thomas, American socialist
Old 10-02-2011, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Ah, typical butt-hurt AR fanatic. Epic fail and disinformation, yet you don't "correct" anything I said. Im just trying to save the guy from wasting double or triple the money on an inferior weapon. AR's are an OK weapon, I would buy one if I lived in another state just to bring to the range and throw a bumpfire stock on it. Otherwise, if I had to "bug out" I would leave it behind. On second thought, I would bring it with me so I could sell it to one of these AR lovers on here as soon as their beloved AR fails in every sense of the word.

Facts are facts, Ill say it once again, you want a range queen, get an AR, you want a battle rifle, get an AK. From what the OP said, he wanted a HD rifle that he could also plink around with at the range. Now if he said "I want an accurate competition rifle", I would have said go with the AR.

You are a troll with 9 posts.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2011, 1:56 PM

Quote:
thanks for the AK-74 mention but I still have to have a bullet button with that, unless I get a monster man grip for it, still bullet button isn't as bad as the AR-15
Oh I almost forgot to mention this but MonsterMan Grips stopped producing the AK version.

http://www.monstermangrip.com/MMG_AK.html
American Legion Member

CCW: OR, UT, FL, AZ, NV

"Every tyrant in history has known you can't control an armed population. That is why Hitler, Stalin and Mao were strongly against an armed citizenry, while George Washington, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were for it." - B. Wentzel, AZ.
Old 10-02-2011, 1:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Old 10-02-2011, 2:14 PM
Jonathan Doe

Don't forget the good old 30 M-1 Carbine. One of the most under-rated firearms, but it is a good rifle.
Old 10-02-2011, 2:26 PM

Quote:
lol @ you! Everyone getting mad over posts!! Can everyone just chill out? And no, Im not trolling/baiting, I'm simply pointing out why the OP should skip the AR and go with an AK. What ever happened to, "nyj09, I disagree with what you say, and here's why:"

Instead we have you: "GITJG-0852-85G-02NONVFEWOVN 0J-!)!*#$!)*$yu!_*th!_thu!_)*gh!_ufFh"

Clean the foam from your mouth and relax... I'm sorry I even brought it up... just like the anti-gunners, completely shut down a view that is not cookie cutter with yours... quick, the brady campaign needs some cash.

To all viewing this thread: I, nyj09, am extremely sorry for offering an opposing view in a sarcastic fashion. I now realize the error of my ways, and I have sold my AK, all of my ammo, my car, and my dog, and have purchased ARs, I shall forever protect the name/reputation of the AR-15... I have seen the light!!!!

BTW, we're on the internet... lol @ both of us

GEEZEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
= Troll.
Old 10-02-2011, 2:36 PM

Quote:

Butt hurt? No facts to argue you with? defensive around here?

We just get annoyed when someone develops a case of diarrhea of the mouth.

The vietnam war era was a LONG time ago, today's AR's and M16's are much improved since. The year is 2011, try and get with the program..... a simple google search and some reading will get you up to date of how incredibly reliable and well built today's ARs are.

And on a side note, shame on you and your AK, it's the weapon of choice by the bad guys over there.( no no... not because it's so great, but because it's readily available and cheap).