Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 09-26-2011, 6:51 PM

Default Sling swivel installation on 10/22 (Synthetic)

Can anyone point me toward an installation guide for sling swivels on a 10/22 with a synthetic stock? Elsewise I'll just grab a Hogue overmold which has them pre-installed, but I'd prefer not to drop $70 if I don't have to.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

I changed the barrel band on my 10/22 to this one so I could get a bipod and sling installed on mine.

http://www.amazon.com/ProMag-PM185-C.../dp/B003BAAJVG

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Old 09-27-2011, 7:12 PM

I won the raffle at Appleseed for a Synthetic stocked 10/22. ( Thanks again to Turner's Outdoorsman)I haven't done it yet but I was planning on installing the standard kit that is on my other 2 wood stocked 10/22s. That is the machine nut in the foreend and the wood screw in the butt. I have 2 part epoxy if needed which I used on a Tapco T6 and it worked out..

I bought the GrovTec 1 1/4 inch swivel kit (made in usa, looks like better quality than Uncle Mikes and just like my KNS Precision)
Old 09-27-2011, 7:21 PM

Blade, where did you get the swivle kit? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2011, 7:26 PM
Whoops!
CGN Contributor

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

I drilled the stock per the instructions on the Uncle Mike's swivels, threaded the hole using the swivel bolt, removed the bolt, applied J-B Weld and reinstalled the bolt and swivel. Worked like a champ!
Old 09-27-2011, 9:34 PM

Got it at Midway
Old 09-27-2011, 9:37 PM

here ya go..

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=696198
Old 09-27-2011, 9:59 PM

Thank you!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

If the synthetic stock is mostly hollow and there is room inside, I prefer to use the the swivel stud type that uses a machine screw thread with a locknut and washer on the inside of the stock.
This is less likely to pull out than the wood screw thread type.
If the synthetic stock is solid, the wood screw type is OK to use.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:02 PM

Better yet, take a small piece of oak or other hardwood and rough it out so it will fit inside the cavities in the forearm and butt of the stock. I used a bench sander to finish fit the piece so it was flush with the bottom of the stock and did not interfere with the barrel (which is free-floated). When the fit was perfect I epoxied the wood plugs in place and let them cure. Then get an Uncle Mikes wood stock kit and drill and tap into the synthetic stock with the hardwood backing and install the swivel studs as in a wood stock gun. Much stronger than a bolt and nut through a thin piece of plastic/resin. The load is distributed over a much larger area than a single bolt.
Old 12-02-2011, 2:17 AM

Does anyone know if Uncle Mikes has a 1.25" swivel set with 2 machine screws instead of one of each type? I have the standard Ruger hollow synthetic stock and I don't have the belt sander to try to use a wood insert.
Old 12-02-2011, 2:19 AM

Also, how do you get the butt plate off? I just realized there aren't any screws.
Old 12-02-2011, 5:57 AM
Veteran Member

i have an OD Hogue overmold stock ill sell you for pretty cheep. never used it bought it and decided to go a different route with the stock and its just been sitting gathering dust. it is for a bull barrel though pm me if interested

Zombie Stickers For Sale

ClassifiedWeapons.com

Looking for a particular parts kit? Check out our parts kit locator that is automatically updated every 6 hours. Now you can see parts kits being offered by multiple websites in one location. Just select the parts kit button on the right of the home page to begin looking.
-------
Home Builds- 1919a4, Sten Mk3, Romy G Ak-47, PSL Pistol,Romanian RPK
Old 12-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straykiller View Post
i have an OD Hogue overmold stock ill sell you for pretty cheep. never used it bought it and decided to go a different route with the stock and its just been sitting gathering dust. it is for a bull barrel though pm me if interested
I have the standard cheap barrel. Thanks though.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersoncouncil View Post
I have the standard cheap barrel. Thanks though.
No problem hope you figure it out. I added a stud to my origional wood stock before i bought an OD barrel. It wasnt Hard, i know the sinthetic stock will be diffrent but im sure youll figure somthing out

Zombie Stickers For Sale

ClassifiedWeapons.com

Looking for a particular parts kit? Check out our parts kit locator that is automatically updated every 6 hours. Now you can see parts kits being offered by multiple websites in one location. Just select the parts kit button on the right of the home page to begin looking.
-------
Home Builds- 1919a4, Sten Mk3, Romy G Ak-47, PSL Pistol,Romanian RPK
Old 12-17-2011, 9:05 PM

So I got some Uncle Mike's studs to put on my synthetic. This may seem like a dumb question, but about where should I drill my holes?