Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-21-2011, 4:48 AM

Default High-end 10.5 AR Pistol

Hey all,

Wondering if you could tell me where to find a higher-end 10.5 AR pistol. By higher end I was thinking LMT, BCM, Spikes etc. I'm new to the pistol thing and don't know what is available. Originally, I wanted to get a stripped pistol lower but where I live (north bay area) that doesn't seem like a possibility. By that I mean none of the local gun shops are able to transfer one.

So what do you think the best bet is?? Thanks for your time
Old 09-21-2011, 5:22 AM
Valar Dohaeris
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Since you're new to this, make sure you fully understand all of the laws related to AR pistols. You won't be able to slap a vertical foregrip on it, you will need a bullet button, and if you transfer it through a gun shop it will absolutely need to be brought in as a single shot pistol. You also won't be able to use high capacity magazines if you have any.

The reason you can't transfer a stripped lower in is because a stripped lower cannot be added to the Safe Handgun Roster. That's why it has to be brought in as a single shot, dimensionally compliant, pistol. Your other option is to machine out an 80% AR lower and build it yourself. Doing it that way, in my opinion, is the best option since you'll be able to build it up exactly the way you want to without having to buy a pistol that may or may not be exactly what you want. At that point, you can order whatever upper you want from whatever company you want. Just make sure you have your pistol lower BEFORE you order an upper if you have any AR rifle lowers laying around, otherwise you run afoul of Short Barrel Rifle regulations which are a federal issue.

That said, I'm sure a helpful NorCaler will be along to help you with an exact shop soon.

WTS:.7.62x39/x54r Ammo
WTS: Savage 16 w/ Scope and Bipod
WTS: AK Furniture, Boresighter, 308 handguard
Old 09-21-2011, 5:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Try Robinson Arms out of SLC, UT. They make a really nice pistol. They are also CA friendly; meaning they will build you pistol as you want yet CA compliant. You can get one in 5.56, 7.62X39 or 6.8 SPC. I like the no buffer tube set up they have.

Click on image to go to their site.

WTB: Double Action Revolver in .327 Federal Magnum

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 AM

Right on. Thanks for the replys. I have access to some machining equipment. Maybe I should look into that option. Where would be some sources for these 80% lowers?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

If you wanted to go 7.5", Noveske Diplomat would be the way to go for a high-end, out-of-the-box upper.
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?
Old 09-22-2011, 2:22 AM
Valar Dohaeris
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbirds215 View Post
Right on. Thanks for the replys. I have access to some machining equipment. Maybe I should look into that option. Where would be some sources for these 80% lowers?
Here's everything you need apart from the mill: https://www.tacticalmachining.com/80...eiver-kit.html

Or go real nuts: https://www.tacticalmachining.com/80...eiver-kit.html

WTS:.7.62x39/x54r Ammo
WTS: Savage 16 w/ Scope and Bipod
WTS: AK Furniture, Boresighter, 308 handguard