Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-20-2011, 3:29 PM
Guns, Jeeps and Drones
CGN Contributor

Default Mini-14 ATI Strikeforce folding stock CA legal?

I had a friend give me his Mini-14 because he wanted it to be more AR-15 like. His wife shot my AR and said she preferred it because of the pistol grip and red dot sight. He is not interested in buying an AR, but is willing to spend $200 or so putting a new stock and red dot on it. I showed him the ATI Strikeforce stock and he thought it looked cool, but I did not realize that it has a side folding stock. I measured his rifle where it looks like the stock folds and my estimate is that it would be about 27" inches. It appears that the rifle can be shot with the stock folded, so it would make it illegal unless I made the stock so it could not fold.

The barrel is not threaded, so adding a muzzle device could be difficult if I have to thread it. I see some pin-on muzzle brakes are available, but would those work in a permanent sense?

What are my options?

Thanks in advance!!!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin 1818

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington 1790

Last edited by WiKDMoNKY; 09-20-2011 at 3:33 PM..
Old 09-20-2011, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

A muzzle device would work as a long as it didn't accidentally fall off. It is NOT required to be permanent to reach 30" OAL, it is only required to be permanent to meet the 16" barrel length. He could also pin the stock open. Does your friend know that he will have to put a bullet button on his Mini-14 as well? If he adds that stock he will have a pistol grip and thus need a BB (unless it is a RAW.)
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?
Old 09-20-2011, 3:36 PM
Guns, Jeeps and Drones
CGN Contributor

Yes, I explained to him about the BB and he said it was not a big deal. So is the muzzle device necessary to have if the stock is foldable? The barrel is listed as being 18.5".

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin 1818

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington 1790
Old 09-20-2011, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

It sounds to me like he can either add the muzzle device OR pin the stock to reach an OAL of 30". I don't have a Mini-14 OR a Tapco stock, so I don't know what the OAL is with it folded. Neither of those mods has to be permanent, but he'd better make sure they don't accidentally fail either.
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?
Old 09-20-2011, 4:42 PM
Guns, Jeeps and Drones
CGN Contributor

Anyone have a ATI Strikeforce Mini-14 stock? If so, what is the OAL with no muzzle device installed?

Old 09-20-2011, 7:01 PM

OAL is 28" with the stock folded.
If you pin a muzzle brake, it should give you 30" OAL +

Don't forget get to put the BB before you put the stock on.

You can buy it from one of these links or make your own.
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1061-defe...et-button.aspx
http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/rumi14mi30bu.html
http://www.parallaxtactical.com/stor...lock-1198.html
Old 09-20-2011, 7:09 PM
Guns, Jeeps and Drones
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the info! Which brake did you use on yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biloutkast View Post
OAL is 28" with the stock folded.
If you pin a muzzle brake, it should give you 30" OAL +

Don't forget get to put the BB before you put the stock on.

You can buy it from one of these links or make your own.
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1061-defe...et-button.aspx
http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/rumi14mi30bu.html
http://www.parallaxtactical.com/stor...lock-1198.html

Old 09-20-2011, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiKDMoNKY View Post
Thanks for the info! Which brake did you use on yours?
Not a problem. I didn't on mine, I pinned the folder.