Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-18-2011, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

Default Strike Industries - Dura Grip PRO VFG review

Upon receiving my Strike Industries Dura Grip PRO VFG, I removed it from the sealed bag and my wife immediately commented, "Wow, that's a sexy looking gun part." and I agree! The VFG has some great lines to it that are aggressive and work great for both positive-gripping-action and just plain "looking sexy." Also included in the package is a nicely styled Strike Industries logo patch, which quickly secures to any bag's hook-and-loop section.

It may not be immediately noticeable from the photos, but there is a sort of molded grip that is formed from varying cut heights in the aluminum rings. It's very comfortable and controllable with either a full grip or a half, handstop-style grip. In its full-size configuration the grip is on the larger side - closer to the size of a Grip Pod than to that of your average, KAC-style VFG. The size does allow three CR123A batteries to be stored in the grip and the sealed sections keep everything dry, while a spring in the inner core keeps the batteries snug and quiet.

In the "stubby" configuration it is a touch larger than the LaRue FUG, but still a great size for a solid, handstop-style grip on the rifle. Two CR123A batteries fit snuggly in the grip and are kept dry by the sealed cap.

CONTINUED NEXT POST
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?

Last edited by djleisure; 09-19-2011 at 8:08 AM..
Old 09-18-2011, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Another part of the really slick design of this VFG are the two slots on either side that easily allow for remote light switches to be slid in and secured. Unfortunately, I don't possess any of these types of remote light switches, (I run Streamlights in thumbs reach,) but the implementation is solid and easy. Simply take apart the VFG, slide out one of the supplied plastic inserts on your preferred side, slide in your switch and re-attach the cap or mid-section - works in full and stubby mode!

In any configuration the textured ridges on the VFG really give your hand a solid purchase and allow for excellent control when acquiring multiple targets. I ran hundreds of rounds through my rifle with this VFG attached and have no complaints about the performance. Essentially, it wasn't noticeably different than my standard LaRue FUG, which I regard as a good thing - it just "disappeared" in my mind and functioned the way I wanted it to. The VFG is very light, thanks to the deep cuts taken out to form the texturing and it securely attaches to the rail via a single bolt which locks it into place.

Overall, I would highly recommend this VFG to anyone looking for a one-stop solution to all their grip needs. With the multiple sizes, switch locations and battery storage there's something for everyone! In fact, the only thing more I might want is a quick-detach version, perhaps in the future?

iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?

Last edited by djleisure; 09-18-2011 at 7:28 PM..
Old 09-18-2011, 8:25 PM
Banned

Cool
Old 09-18-2011, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

If they made it in a QD version that thing would be money! I like it so I'll put it in the definitely maybe box. Great review also!

WTB XDm .40. If you are within a hour of San Diego and what to sell then send an I'M please. I'm on the market for it!
Old 09-19-2011, 7:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevans66 View Post
If they made it in a QD version that thing would be money! I like it so I'll put it in the definitely maybe box. Great review also!
Yeah, I hope they have plans for a QD model in the future, but even w/o it this thing is pretty nice. Not everybody needs or wants the QD feature and it would certainly raise the price. As it is now, thing this is made well and priced right!
Old 09-19-2011, 8:20 AM
Patient@GunAddictWard
CGN Contributor

I was looking into getting one, thanks for sharing and taking the time to do a review!
Old 09-19-2011, 9:22 AM

It honsestly looks badass but the last aluminum VFG I had (Troy Modular) made me swear off aluminum since it added more weight than the synthetic grips. I've sought synthetic VFGs ever since.

2010 Black GT Premium. 3.73 gears. Factory Track Pack.
Saleen VI.5 supercharger (500 hp kit). Chicane stb. JLT Oil Seperators. C&L CAI. JDM Tuned.
J&M Billet LCA's. J&M adjustable panhard bar. BMR relocation brackets. Steeda Sport Springs. Koni STR.T's. J&M caster camber plates.
19" 2011 Ford GT500 SVTPP wheels. Nitto INVO 255/35/19, 285/35/19.
Factory Spoiler Delete. Electronics Package. Security Package. HID.
Old 09-19-2011, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascoyne View Post
It honsestly looks badass but the last aluminum VFG I had (Troy Modular) made me swear off aluminum since it added more weight than the synthetic grips. I've sought synthetic VFGs ever since.
Yeah, that's understandable. I'm not sure how much the Troy modular weighed, but this one weighs 3oz. (manufacturers claim, I did not weigh mine) in stubby config and a Tango Down stubby (non QD) weighs 2.56oz. - so there is a small difference.
Old 09-19-2011, 6:43 PM

3oz isn't bad at all. I just ordered one. Thanks for the review.

Saleen VI.5 supercharger (500 hp kit). Chicane stb. JLT Oil Seperators. C&L CAI. JDM Tuned.
J&M Billet LCA's. J&M adjustable panhard bar. BMR relocation brackets. Steeda Sport Springs. Koni STR.T's. J&M caster camber plates.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascoyne View Post
3oz isn't bad at all. I just ordered one. Thanks for the review.
No prob - glad I could help!
Old 10-01-2011, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djleisure View Post
Yeah, that's understandable. I'm not sure how much the Troy modular weighed, but this one weighs 3oz. (manufacturers claim, I did not weigh mine) in stubby config and a Tango Down stubby (non QD) weighs 2.56oz. - so there is a small difference.
Correction: the weights you give are for the "Handy" version. The PRO weighs 5oz in the stubby configuration and 7oz in the full sized configuration.