Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 PM

Wow. Your experience is the next best thing to taking it home...at least from here.

Thanks for the great write up!
Old 10-01-2011, 6:26 PM

This was a great write-up. Thanks for sharing the stories and the pics!
Old 10-02-2011, 7:30 AM

Thanks for the great post.

It was like a trip back in time to when we didn't have to be so concerned about laws and we could just enjoy guns.

This should be in the best threads folder for it's auction how to information.
Old 10-02-2011, 9:10 AM

Awesome Read - Thanx for sharing.

I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW!

Expect the Best, but prepare for the Worst.
Old 11-15-2011, 5:35 AM
CGN Contributor

I just got my massive catalogs from RIA for the next auction in Dec. There is a flyer for a Discovery Channel show coming up called "Up In Arms".....its about their auction I guess. It will be interesting to see.....
Old 11-15-2011, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
..."hey baby, want to see the 8" python I just bought?"

Thats funny right there,, now everyone around me is wondering what's so funny in my cube.

Good write up,, thanks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity
Old 11-15-2011, 6:59 AM

Thanks for sharing! Great posts.

"Clearly you spend way too much time in darkened rooms in front of your computer. Go outside once in a while and breathe before your brain starts to rot from all that stagnation and cognitive dysfunction. You couldn't get a clue during clue mating season in a field of clues if you dipped your body in musk and did the clue mating dance. Leave me alone with all of this nonsense and go shoot them for yourself."
Old 11-15-2011, 9:36 AM

My dad recently sold his python hunter with the original case. I loved that gun. It's now my holy grail to get it back. Thanks for the post
Old 11-15-2011, 2:49 PM

Little John's is located on LaVeta Avenue just West of Main St. in Santa Ana. Little John himself is one of the major collectors of firearms in the U.S. He has sold many famous collectors guns, Sammy Davis, Jr. is one that I remember. His auctions are held at the German club off of Katella in Orange. He also sells complete inventories of gun stores that closed. I bought a Colt Python Bright Stainless there at auction in near unfired condition for about $800.00.
Old 11-15-2011, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

That borchardt took my breath away! Amazing piece! 35K is a shocking, but not too surprising price tag
Old 11-15-2011, 5:10 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsnake87 View Post
That borchardt took my breath away! Amazing piece! 35K is a shocking, but not too surprising price tag
there is another Borchardt for sale in the december auction, but it's not as nice as the one that sold in September.

Auction estimate is $27,500 - $42,500. i think that is high. The one that sold for $37,500 in September was nicer (more nitre blue remaining, holster not dehydrated, and case+accessories in much nicer shape).

I don't see any "must have" holy grails in this auction for me. No plans to travel to Moline this time, although I may put in a telephone bid or two.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Beetle, thank you so much for regaling us with your experience! I can only say "WOW!" The fun time you must have had makes many of us here green with envy! I wish you the best in your search for your Holy Grail ! Who knows, sometimes life has a funny way of turning around! When a guy sees how much a gun goes for, and he has a similar one, they end up on the market sometimes! it just happens that way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 PM

Epic saga.

You had me riveted.

Glad you walked out with some nice hardware, but bummed you missed out on your prize.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Great write up! Thank you. I see on their website that your #33 set a world record price.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Finally they figured out that they could heat treat the top of the magazine to make the feed lips stiffer. But by heat treating it, the bluing wouldn't take (which accounts for the two-tone look).
Thanks for that! I'd always just assumed it was a dipping thing. Ya learn something new every day!

Thanks for the great thread. Sorry ya didn't get the grrrrrrrraaaillllll.

That Hi Power.... MUCH want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:32 PM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798

This thread is taking my Colt obsession to a level my wallet will have trouble keeping up with...

Great pictures, great thread, great information. I might have to check one of these auctions out.

I'd be interested to hear more about what you could purchase via your C&R and what you had to be SSE'd. Its also nice to know that VA was onboard for your SSE requests, that may have to be my route if I end up buying some newer items!

-------
Old 11-19-2011, 3:44 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
I'd be interested to hear more about what you could purchase via your C&R and what you had to be SSE'd. Its also nice to know that VA was onboard for your SSE requests, that may have to be my route if I end up buying some newer items!
It's pretty straightforward. If the gun is identified as a C&R (either defined by the ATF as a C&R, or more than 50 years old) then no SSE conversion is necessary. For example, all of the WW2 1911A1s and the 1935 FN High Power I bought were good to go. But because they are handguns they still need to be transferred through a 01 FFL and be DROS to me. If you have your 03 C&R and a CCOE, then you can take them home right away (no 10 day waiting period). That felt really nice, to be able to go in and take it home the same day.

For guns that not classified as C&R, then the roster applies. Therefore you will need to transfer them via single shot exemption. Before buying anything out of the ordinary I'd check with your dealer to make sure that it is possible to single shot them. In some instances it may be costly or not possible to convert. In my case I only bought modern 1911s, so I knew Valkyrie would have the parts needed to SSE them with no problems.

If you are buying them via internet bidding and the auction house has to ship them to you, you can tell the auction house to send the handguns and modern rifles to your 01 FFL. C&R long guns can be shipped right to your house.

One final option, if you are travelling to the auction out of state and the guns are C&R, and you have your 03 C&R, you can pick them up right away from the auction house. Then if you desired you could fly with them back home and fill out the C&R registration form.

I don't think I mentioned this is my original posting, but I bought a Remington Rand 1911A1 from Scott on my last trip out there. When I got to the airport, I was quite nervous about flying with a firearm (first time). I went up to the counter and instructed the agent that I had a firearm to declare. I wasn't quite expecting this, but she said "What kind?". I said "1911", she then said "what kind of 1911?" . I was quite puzzled, why would the agent want to know so much? so I responded "Remington Rand 1911A1". She said....

"Cool, I have an Ithaca 1911A1!"

Quite a different experience dealing with firearms when you are in another state!
Old 11-19-2011, 3:51 PM
CGN Contributor

LOL....you mean a free state
Old 11-19-2011, 4:32 PM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798

Quote:
It's pretty straightforward. If the gun is identified as a C&R (either defined by the ATF as a C&R, or more than 50 years old) then no SSE conversion is necessary. For example, all of the WW2 1911A1s and the 1935 FN High Power I bought were good to go. But because they are handguns they still need to be transferred through a 01 FFL and be DROS to me. If you have your 03 C&R and a CCOE, then you can take them home right away (no 10 day waiting period). That felt really nice, to be able to go in and take it home the same day.

For guns that not classified as C&R, then the roster applies. Therefore you will need to transfer them via single shot exemption. Before buying anything out of the ordinary I'd check with your dealer to make sure that it is possible to single shot them. In some instances it may be costly or not possible to convert. In my case I only bought modern 1911s, so I knew Valkyrie would have the parts needed to SSE them with no problems.

If you are buying them via internet bidding and the auction house has to ship them to you, you can tell the auction house to send the handguns and modern rifles to your 01 FFL. C&R long guns can be shipped right to your house.

One final option, if you are travelling to the auction out of state and the guns are C&R, and you have your 03 C&R, you can pick them up right away from the auction house. Then if you desired you could fly with them back home and fill out the C&R registration form.

I don't think I mentioned this is my original posting, but I bought a Remington Rand 1911A1 from Scott on my last trip out there. When I got to the airport, I was quite nervous about flying with a firearm (first time). I went up to the counter and instructed the agent that I had a firearm to declare. I wasn't quite expecting this, but she said "What kind?". I said "1911", she then said "what kind of 1911?" . I was quite puzzled, why would the agent want to know so much? so I responded "Remington Rand 1911A1". She said....

"Cool, I have an Ithaca 1911A1!"

Quite a different experience dealing with firearms when you are in another state!
Bettle, Thanks for the response. It's nice to hear about the WW2 1911s. My [current] C&R interest is in a few older Colt wheel guns. The problem I might run into is trying to pick up that <50 y/o Wheelies.

-------
Old 11-19-2011, 6:35 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

What a great post! Thank you for sharing your experience!
Old 12-05-2011, 3:04 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

This past weekend was the RIA December "Premier" Auction. As I said before, there weren't any "holy grails" for me this time so I didn't go there in person like last time.

Since this thread has a lot of auction information, I thought I would post my experience using the telephone bidding system. In summary, the 2nd best way to bid (if you can't be there in person) is via telephone bid. Don't even bother with their sealed bid or the internet services (proxibid or icollector).

You can log into their web site and submit a telephone bid. At the right time, one of their staff will call you up and then you can bid in real time with the people on the floor. In fact, over the telephone you can hear the live calling of the lot. Now when you register your interest you can also put in a bid just in case the staff can't reach you by telephone. Unless you think there is a chance that this might happen, I recommend you don't do this. Just submit it as a telephone bid with a $0 pre-bid. That way the auction house doesn't have a clue at what to start the bidding at. I suspect that if there are pre-bidders on an item the auction house starts the bid just a few hundred shy of what the high pre-bid is.

Another benefit is that RIA doesn't charge a premium for using their telephone bid system. It's the same % as if you submit a sealed bid or attended the auction live. If you use icollector or proxibid it's another 2-2.5% on top of RIA's commission.

I had the same staff member who executed all of my bids via telephone. His name was "Tony" and he was awesome. He is one of the photographers on staff so we had plenty to chat about while waiting for my lots to come up.

Anyways I was saying no "holy grails" for me this time, but I did pick up a few interesting items. Here are some lots that stood out for me (some I bid on, some I didn't).

Teddy "speak softly and carry a big stick" Roosevelt's gun. Sold for $180K

Prince Albert's Jewelled Gun. Sold for $30K

I really wanted this. It's a half scale model of a M1 carbine. Total length is 17". Not a firearm, but would make a neat desk display. Thought I had it at $800, was going to last call, but then two other bidders woke up and proceded to launch a bidding war. It's neat, but not $1700 neat!

Not sure what this is, it's labled "my friend". some kind of ring gun? Sold for $950

grr picture limit. continued next post.
Old 12-05-2011, 3:04 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

yo, high cap assault weapon!

One of the more expensive guns sold this time at auction. Colt Walker. $300K

One of the CIA's special operations guns. The successor to the FP Liberator. Sold for $22.5K!

The original prototype for the Colt Service Ace (a .22lr pistol made to simulate the operation and recoil of a .45acp 1911). The service ace was designed by none other than "Carbine" Williams, designer of the M1 Carbine. This was his working pistol, verified by Colt. Sold for $30K

Anyways, another good auction full of interesting stuff. I'll be anxiously awaiting the stuff I won (no insane one of a kind items, just a couple of nice pieces for the collection).

Last edited by beetle; 12-05-2011 at 9:15 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 3:13 PM

I saw the RIA auction on the on discovery channel and the 4 bore actually didn't sell, the reserve was at 85k
Old 12-05-2011, 3:20 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead995 View Post
I saw the RIA auction on the on discovery channel and the 4 bore actually didn't sell, the reserve was at 85k
thanks for the correction. I watched that Discovery show too, called "Ready Aim Sold!". I was on TV for a micro-second as they panned the audience
Old 12-05-2011, 6:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
Who knows, sometimes life has a funny way of turning around! When a guy sees how much a gun goes for, and he has a similar one, they end up on the market sometimes! it just happens that way!

i've noticed this as well. stuff happens.
Old 12-05-2011, 6:08 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg View Post
i've noticed this as well. stuff happens.
totally agree. a year ago an amazing T3 carbine kit went up for auction. (T3 is a M1 carbine with an infrared scope). the kit was a factory demo from winchester including manuals, demonstration material, etc. It was all set up in a big footlocker.

That T3 carbine went for like $40,000 (from memory).

Ever since that sold, T3 carbines have been coming out of the woodwork, with at least one or two at each auction.

On this past sunday somebody went so far as to try and replicate the "demonstration in a box" setup. Here's the one that sold this past weekend for $25,000:

Old 12-05-2011, 6:26 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Great, I've had a chub for three hours reading you post and was ready to call a doctor until the last post. I feel like I got dumped after buying dinner and drinks without a reach around.
Sorry you didn't get your prize. You were close and showing up is 99% of that.
Thanks for sharing this great adventure.
-g
A choice of cancer or polio

-Jagger\Richards 68
Old 12-05-2011, 6:34 PM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Another great post from Beetle! I remember seeing an ad for this auction in the USA today as I flew back from the west coast. Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Check out the folded white paper in this box, look like an cartoon of shooting someone in the back, CIA style...

-------
Old 12-05-2011, 6:36 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

ha ha! never noticed that, but now that you point it out it TOTALLY looks like the instructions call for shooting someone in the back!
Old 12-05-2011, 6:55 PM

Awesome story man! Thanks for sharing.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation had full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future." - Adolf Hitler

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
- Unknown
Old 12-05-2011, 9:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Dang, I want a Walker....some really neat stuff in there, thanks for posting it.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 12-05-2011, 9:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Excellent thread. My heart was racing following your story.

Also, Rock Island Arsenal is NOT Rock Island Armory! <--- Can never say that enough
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 12-06-2011, 8:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
Excellent thread. My heart was racing following your story.

yes... and yes. although my budgetary constraints are prohibitive... my natural reaction to stimulus doesn't know that.

men are visual creatures... and there was plenty of that here. the narrative was top of the line as well. A+++++++++++++++.
Old 12-06-2011, 8:50 AM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
yep.. sure does show the deed done dirty..
Thanks for posting the whole picture, Iíve never seen it - actually thinks its comical how they included that part, in the back no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
find a 3 digit serial Navy in correct condition in my price range
Pick two... Iím like that with some of the Colts on my list, alas it will probably be the $$$ that isnít included unless I find that one right seller...

Man I have expensive habits.

-------
Old 12-06-2011, 5:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
totally agree. a year ago an amazing T3 carbine kit went up for auction. (T3 is a M1 carbine with an infrared scope). the kit was a factory demo from winchester including manuals, demonstration material, etc. It was all set up in a big footlocker.

That T3 carbine went for like $40,000 (from memory).

Ever since that sold, T3 carbines have been coming out of the woodwork, with at least one or two at each auction.

On this past sunday somebody went so far as to try and replicate the "demonstration in a box" setup. Here's the one that sold this past weekend for $25,000:

history is fascinating stuff; it never goes away.
Old 12-16-2011, 4:08 PM
CGN Contributor

Got en email from RIA this morning....FedEx picked up a long box for me today
Old 12-17-2011, 3:39 PM

awesome thread!!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:01 PM
CGN Contributor

This is most definitely one of the top 5 threads of 2011. Thank you Beetle & keep the awesome stories and beautiful pictures coming!
Be like me...I own over 100 AR mags I got before the ban set in. Hell, I bought a ton of other magazines as well...I can throw hicap mags on the floor and swim in them.
Liberals want my guns, conservatives want my porn. I'll part with neither.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bden View Post
This is most definitely one of the top 5 threads of 2011. Thank you Beetle & keep the awesome stories and beautiful pictures coming!

+1 on that.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I very briefly ran into Beetle at VA once in December 2010--I think it was the day he got his PPK (on the avatar) and a bunch of other 7.65mm Euro pistols.

None of us really said much (but I think I did compliment him on one of his then new pistols or something like that).

But damn, this is the first time I see this thread and now I can really live vicariously through Calguns.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."