Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-12-2011, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoddridge View Post
dude i totally want to go to an auction now. Was there anything there that wasnt over $1000?
Check out the RIA Regional Auctions. The Premier Auctions are more high end.

To the OP. Thanks a lot. This was one of the most enjoyable threads I have read in a while. I always follow RIA and have won several lots over the years. Your efforts and solid posts are really appreciated. I may have to follow in your footsteps one of these days, and make a trip out of it.

Oh... and a James D Julia auction flyer came in the mail today. I see a Fitz Special, Special Army 1911 SN8, Parkers in 28G and 410, Walkers and Dragoons, a super early AR15 with brown stocks, it's too much to take right now....

Last edited by Tanner68; 09-12-2011 at 7:35 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 7:47 PM

A great read! Thanks!!!

Jim
Old 09-12-2011, 8:33 PM

wow...so cool! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-12-2011, 8:58 PM
(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
CGN Contributor

Very cool, thanks for sharing! I assume that you have to have the firearms shipped to your local ffl and single shot some of the handguns other than the C&R which are roster exempt?
Old 09-12-2011, 9:13 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckprax View Post
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I assume that you have to have the firearms shipped to your local ffl and single shot some of the handguns other than the C&R which are roster exempt?
yes you are correct. My good friends at Valkyrie Arms will handle doing the single shot conversions for the non C&R guns.

and thanks everyone for the kind words. I enoyed telling the story as well!
Old 09-12-2011, 9:21 PM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

this has been an outstanding thread. Thank you for taking us on this journey with you.

Threads such as this are what keep me here.
Old 09-12-2011, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow, really cool.

Shame you didn't get 33, but you got some nice stuff.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 09-12-2011, 9:40 PM

Thanks for the entertaining report and photos. Very cool bluing on these old Colts. Somebody else was watching it too. They report the sale price was $109,450. I didn't see that in your story. Source: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...lt-1911-a.html
Old 09-12-2011, 9:53 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by one*eyed*jack View Post
Thanks for the entertaining report and photos. Very cool bluing on these old Colts. Somebody else was watching it too. They report the sale price was $109,450. I didn't see that in your story. Source: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...lt-1911-a.html
Yes, that is the correct final price. I was in at $90K. The required bidding increment is $5K. so he had to bid $95K (which he did).

that makes the next bid for me a cool $100K. that's when I dropped out.

So the final hammer price is $95,000 + 15% premium = $109,250. the actual final price may be + few hundred depending on how he pays (RIA offers a discount for cash/check).

on one hand it's frustrating to think I lost it by "one" bid, but on the other hand I've convinced myself that the actual buyer had very deep pockets and was prepared to buy it any cost. at least I cost somebody a large chunk of change

Last edited by beetle; 09-12-2011 at 9:58 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 10:00 PM

Thank you for the splendid posts, I was rooting for you to win #33.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 PM

Awesome thread! Thank you for taking the time to share it.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Can't wait to see these in person Bailey
Old 09-13-2011, 5:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
well the silver lining (if there is one) is that #33 came up early in the auction. It would had sucked if I sat around on the sidelines all day waiting for it and didn't win it.

This next one is not a collector. It's a k43 that's been rechambered to fire 30-06. I figured I'd bring it along when I take my garand out.
You might not have won the holy grail, but you still made out pretty good. This is a beautiful rifle and I hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-13-2011, 7:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sounds like the weekend of a lifetime!

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 09-13-2011, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

I have purchased from RIA. It's very important to know your product. I'm into shotguns and got a Grade V 20 Gauge Browning Citori Skeet Model through them. Their Catalogs are a work of art by themselves.

Having said that some bargains can be had, but Market/Auction forces come into play. They have a buyers premium that drives up the price (I believe 20% if I remember correctly) of your final bid.

And with online and phone bidding the competition can be fierce, distorting the price!
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 09-13-2011, 8:57 AM

Quote:
on one hand it's frustrating to think I lost it by "one" bid
That's only the case with those who bid on-line on ebay one bid at a time.

You had a limit, and you didn't cross it. THAT'S the important thing.

If you don't go into these things with "limits" you will loose your shirt.

As I was reading your thread I was thinking, gee, if he doesn't get it, and it's at the end of the auction then there will be nothing left to buy and he will have all that cash and missed all those other guns. Glad it didn't happen that way.

But you know what, I think the auction houses are smart enough to know that if they put too many choice items at the end the bigger players will hold all their money, and all but one of them will win, but then you have all this money sitting in the auction without anything left to buy.

I would hope they manage that expectation.

Also, think of it this way. That guy paid TOO much for that gun.

Why? Because HE is the ONLY one willing to pay that price.
Old 09-13-2011, 8:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Awesome post, very entertaining. Sorry you didn't get 33, better luck next time.
Old 09-13-2011, 9:57 AM
CGN Contributor

Cool post! Thanks for doing this....I've bid and won in past auctions at RIA, and in this auction, I bid and won 3 US .22's. I *really* want to go to a Premier auction. I wonder how the regional auctions compare......the wife said ok, so I just gotta pick one to go to!!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 AM

Excellent post and pictures! Thank you for taking the time to put this up.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:15 AM

Thank you for sharing, great write up for an interesting event....
Old 09-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

holy crap did you end up spending over 6 figures at the auction total?
Old 09-13-2011, 1:04 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

In my rush to type up the trip report, something completely slipped my mind.

I just want to put a shout out and let you guys know about Scott Gahimer. If you like 1911s in any way, you owe it to yourself to go check out his site (www.m1911info.com). Scott has wonderful high-resolution pictures of almost every single make and variation of 1911 out there. Before you spend $$$ on that collector 1911, you can check out the details on Scott's site and confirm that the pistol in question is original and authentic. It is a pay site @ approx $30/year, but is well worth the investment if you collect 1911s. In addition, Scott occasionally offers 1911s for sale which he finds at the various gun shows he attends. If you buy a gun from Scott, you will know exactly what you are getting.

I found Scott to be the nicest, most honest, and most knowledgeable person and I'm happy that I was able to use his services for this auction. as an added bonus, Scott brought along a very nice Remington Rand which I happily took off his hands at a very reasonable price.

If you're ever need of a true 1911 expert, Scott is your guy
Old 09-13-2011, 1:07 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaoloveshine View Post
holy crap did you end up spending over 6 figures at the auction total?
nope, since I didn't get 33, I spent significantly less.
Old 09-13-2011, 1:09 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccandgc View Post
Cool post! Thanks for doing this....I've bid and won in past auctions at RIA, and in this auction, I bid and won 3 US .22's. I *really* want to go to a Premier auction. I wonder how the regional auctions compare......the wife said ok, so I just gotta pick one to go to!!
I was watching those US .22s! those are cool. Happy that a fellow CGer got 'em. good buy!
Old 09-13-2011, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

What a great report! Thanks for sharing.

Super Robot VOLTES V
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Have fun & always be safe.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Old 09-13-2011, 2:50 PM

Great thread. I'm upset you didn't get your Colt #33, but I'll take any of those pre-series 70's off your hands!

Jeff
Old 09-13-2011, 5:25 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the great thread!
Old 09-14-2011, 7:42 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was watching those US .22s! those are cool. Happy that a fellow CGer got 'em. good buy!
Thanks. Can't wait.....I'd like to talk to you some time about your overall experience with going out there, accomodations, flights, etc.
Old 09-14-2011, 7:51 AM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

hi there.

got a lot of questions about the auction and auction process, so rather than replying individually to a bunch of PMs, I'll post the info here.

Obviously I don't represent the auction house, so your best bet is to read up on their terms and conditions. For the one I went to, it's Rock Island Auction (www.rockislandauction.com).

the rest is just my observations about the bidding process.

There are four ways (that I know of) to submit your bid.

1) In person, live (this is the best way as you can inspect what you are bidding on). In general Rock Island does a pretty good job of describing the item, although I do think they rate just a bit on the high side by a few % points. Something they describe as 98% is more like 95%.

2) Submit internet bid before the auction starts through their web site.

3) Telephone bid. They will call you and allow you to bid in real time when the item comes up.

4) Proxibid/icollector -- these are internet auction services. They have a representative in the room. When you bid on the item through their web site, their representative will raise his card and bid on your behalf.

From what I observed this weekend, the best is in person. However, second best would be by telephone. This way you can control your bid in real time. Also, (and this is just a observation/guess on my part), I suspect internet bids via their web site cause the auctioneer to start the item at a much higher price. For example, if you put in a sealed internet bid at max $1000, the auctioneer will start the item at $800 and quickly advance it to $1000. In fact, I observed the auctioneer raise the bid as if their was someone advancing it when he was simply bidding it up based on internet bids.

"lot 1234, let's start this at $800. now $850,$900,$950,$1000. Next bid, gotta be $1050! Anyone $1050?" all the time pointing at phantom bids in the room. Now I guess this is acceptable if there are multiple internet sealed bids, he is playing them off against one another. But if it's just one internet sealed bid than that's not fair. nobody knows because only the auction house is privy to the sealed internet bids.

icollector/proxibid also has issues. On more than one occassion I saw the proxibid/icollector reprentative jump the bid based on the max bid the person put into their system. Both of those systems lead you to believe that they will bid in increments to get it at the lowest price. Not true from my observation, they routinely jump the bid.
For example, if you put you are willing to bid up to $2000, you are led to believe that they will continue to bid at $1000,$1100,$1200 all the way until you get it or $2000 is reached. Not from what I saw. Opening bid is at $1200, proxibid representative immediately bids $2000. Sure the guy will probably win, but he could have gotten it at $1600 too if nobody else wanted it.

So, my recommendation is NOT to use the "sealed bid" systems. don't put in your bid into the RIA web site, or put in your max bid on icollector/proxibid. Instead, use the real time bidding services like telephone, or do a bid-by-bid on icollector/proxibid. That way they can't jump the bid on you.

the reason they do this is because both RIA and proxibid/icollector make their profits as a % of hammer price. The higher the hammer price, the higher the profit.

buyers' premium
once you win a lot, your final price will be the hammer price plus a buyer's premium. If you were dealing with rock island that premium is 17% (discounted to 15% if you pay by check). If you went through icollector/proxibid those services charge another 1-2% (i think) on top. so by the time you are done figure anywhere between 15%-19% premium depending on how and what service you used to bid. Take this into account when bidding.

shipping
all standard firearms laws apply. If you are buying a modern gun than the auction house will need to know which 01 FFL you want it shipped to. The auction house is not up on california specific laws, so be sure you know what you are doing. I think I heard one of the auction guys mention that somebody bought a class 3 machine gun. turns out the buyer didn't know the laws so it's in limbo, but the buyer had to pay in full. the CA roster still applies to modern handguns, so you'll need to go through the SSE or Single Action route.

ok I think that covers the bulk of the questions I got through PM. by the way, I just got a fedex note, my goodies will be here today (at least the handgun portion) which they sent overnight the rifles will be here later in the week.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Best thread ever.
Old 09-14-2011, 4:05 PM

Very cool to see these pics and great read!
Old 09-14-2011, 8:01 PM

That was an awesome read. Makes me want to have adventures like this too!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 PM

Wow. Great read! Bummer you didn't get the #33, but at least you came home with some really nice pieces.

Talk about being passionate about your gun collecting. I can only dream of going to an auction and having 6 figures at my disposal.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:47 PM

Great Post Thank You!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 6:16 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

this thread is getting more attention that I anticipated (have seen it cross posted on other gun forums) and there is a good chance that the winner of the auction might see it. Now that I've been home a week and have had a chance to reflect and unwind from the auction, I'd like to add one final thought.

To whomever ended up winning #33, congratulations! I don't think I said anything too negative, but please take any off-color remarks I made as simply coming from somebody who was still stinging from the events of the weekend. Sir, I tip my hat to you for achieving what many collectors can only dream of. I hope you truly enjoy that unique piece of history.
Old 09-19-2011, 7:35 PM

The "WB" Colt 1942 is stunning. You had the right man for a coach, Scott
know's his stuff
Old 09-19-2011, 7:41 PM
CGN Contributor

I don't think there were any negative comments. That stinging feeling at a loss of a grail type item can smart for a bit
(Im waiting for 3 long boxes to show up from RIA soon, I hope!)
Old 09-19-2011, 8:27 PM

Sounds like a great vacation. The grail is still out there!
Old 09-19-2011, 8:57 PM

Default It was a pleasure...

It was a pleasure to meet beetle and offer opinions on several pieces I examined, including Colt M1911 No. 33.

The bids on that pistol, however, do not necessarily reflect my opinion regarding originality, condition or value. I simply offered opinions; I did not do the bidding.

In fact, I did not even attend the auction. I did follow it long distance over the phone, but only purchased one "sleeper".

Congratulations to all, as the spoils belong to the winners!

Last edited by Scott Gahimer; 09-20-2011 at 7:09 AM..
Old 09-19-2011, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Beetle,

You may be able to bid on it again in the future. I have seen many firearms come up more than once over the years.

I sat at Butterfield and Martin on many auctions....I was able to came across again a 1999 lot back up for auction in 2009, also a one of a kind.....Its was easier the second time since there was an auction history already in place and my cross hairs were a bit sharper and the wallet was a bit fatter

Enjoy the 3 new toys