Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-12-2011, 2:20 PM

Default pig / boar hunting on private land in Sonoma

(Sorry that these are going to be a painfully noob questions, but I don't hunt and I didn't see this in a FAQ or in searching this group.)

I have a friend who owns some land in Sonoma county and he's overrun with wild boar. He's asked me to help him cull them. A neighbor has already taken one (see picture).

Questions:

1) Do we need hunting licenses to do this on private land he owns?

2) What calibers are good to get the job done? Choices are: .223, .25-06, .308

3) What do we do with them after they're shot? There's only so much bacon a man can eat.

4) Any other things we should be aware of?

Thanks for the help...

Old 09-12-2011, 2:35 PM

I think you and I CAN be friends. I'll tell you the rest when we go. Deal??? (pssss... PM me)

-Ricky Bobby (Talladega Nights)
1,2,3... 1,2,3... 1,2,3...
Old 09-12-2011, 2:37 PM

You can have me help with the situation. Yes you do need a hunting license and tag unless your friend gets a depredation permit.
Old 09-12-2011, 2:40 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

1) Yes.

2) .223 will do the trick if you're a good shot at close range, but I personally go .308. I'm in if you need some extra guns.

3) You call me and I'll take the meat off your hands and/or you get a freezer. You won't get bacon from wild pigs. Keep in mind that selling it would be illegal. You can also call DFG. But don't waste that meat.

4) Keep your head cool when the critters show up. Way too many hunters get excited and start shooting without any consideration for their fellow hunters. Things get messy when they start running.
Old 09-12-2011, 2:41 PM

Licence and tags are required. 308. Looks to be the best of the selection you have to choose from. If the hogs are that bad a depredation permit can be had by a warden. If so the licence and tags wont be needed. If you have lots of extra meat you can get sausage made. You would be surprised how fast you can go through it

Last edited by bigboarstopper; 09-12-2011 at 2:44 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 3:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You will have fun. I just have a case of "sour grapes". I do not feel bad for land owners who are over run by pigs. You ask to hunt and they think you are from the government with the plague. I sure you will be ablen to find some one to help clean the pig. If possible and pigs are guaranteed you might try a whole buried pig roast for the day after the hunt.

jerry
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfull View Post
You will have fun. I just have a case of "sour grapes". I do not feel bad for land owners who are over run by pigs. You ask to hunt and they think you are from the government with the plague.

jerry
+1 agreed...if your friend isnt a hunter, does he permit hunters to take care of his piggy problem. Is he the antihunter type that says its evil to hunt piggies on his land but in the end scream for help becuz of the destruction? Just tryin to get a feel of the owner on what his standing position is. There are many many honorable hunters here on cgn that'll help with the piggy problem For Free. It's just really that landowners are like what zinfull quoted above.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
(Sorry that these are going to be a painfully noob questions, but I don't hunt and I didn't see this in a FAQ or in searching this group.)

I have a friend who owns some land in Sonoma county and he's overrun with wild boar. He's asked me to help him cull them. A neighbor has already taken one (see picture).
I have a pig tag.

Invite me over...
Quote:
"Those who would ban extended magazines, will say that although hundreds of thousands are in circulation and thousands more will surely be sold before a ban is enacted, it will be worth it if it saves just one life. But the other half of that question must be asked, too: Is it worth it if it costs just one life?" Stephen Hunter
Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 AM

I'll get a pig tag and bring some beer, just PM me anytime PLEASE
Old 09-13-2011, 4:45 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, you need a license and pig tag. If the land owner aquires a depredation permit you must be listed on the permit to lawfully takes pigs under it. Any of the calibers you listed would be suitable, however the 223 would be limited in effective range to 200-300 yards for most people. I personally have a soft spot for the 25-06. I have taken many pigs with both the 223 and 25-06 and a few with a 300 savage, which is comparable to a 308.

If you have to many pigs you can give them to family members or donate them to a shelter.

other things you should be aware of: Pigs have an extreamly good sense of smell, but terrible eye sight. If the wind is in your favor or if the pigs are not yet wary of humans it is possible to get very close. It is not uncommon to shoot pigs at the great range of 15 yards or even less. Once they have been pressured, such as under heavy depredation they will avoid hanging out in the area of pressure if possible. If they are feeding there they will start coming onto the propery at night and avoiding it at day. When this happens you will be SOL without a depredation permit.

Last edited by chicoredneck; 09-13-2011 at 4:53 AM..
Old 09-13-2011, 7:47 AM
Veteran Member

If you guys decide you want to keep some pigs around to hunt for sport, but want to limit their numbers to minimize damage then I would suggest targetting family groups of pigs and taking a rifle that is capable of high volumes of fire and/or a large group of people. The goal being to eliminate the maximum amount of pigs in the shortest amount of time. Pigs are highly responsive to hunting pressure and learn fast. If you hunt them every week or even a couple times a month they will change their pattern rapidly. However, they respond to the presence and pressure of hunting and not the total number of pigs that are killed. You can effectively control the population if you hunt only every few months, but take a large number of pigs during the times that you do hunt.
This should keep the pigs in the area to allow continued hunting, but with a lesser population.

If you simply want to eliminate the pigs or push them off the property, then constant pressure is the fastest means. You can change a fimily groups pattern within a few days if you hunt them every day, then follow it up in a week or two with continued heavy pressure to re-inforce the new behavior. Before you know it, no more pigs and you only put a few days work into it. This technique works great on small acreage properties.
Old 09-13-2011, 8:09 AM

I'm happy to help too, I have 2 more pig tags to fill this year. In the East Bay and fully equipped. I have a friend with a pig tag as well.

There's a mistaken impression that conservatives don't like the environment. We do, we love the environment. We just call it the outdoors and we go there to kill stuff.
-PJ O'Rourke
Old 09-13-2011, 9:08 AM

I personally use a 30-06 but the 308 will work.
Old 09-13-2011, 9:28 AM

Thanks for all the info guys - and all the offers to get in there and get a free hunt :-)

I'll take this all back to the property owner to see what he wants to do. From what chicoredneck writes, I'm hoping they get the message after a few of them fall.

On a side note, the owner is not anti-hunting. He's pro "get these freaking things away from my house".
Old 09-13-2011, 9:30 AM

Where do I sign up to help?
Old 09-13-2011, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEKILLA View Post
+1 lol
Old 09-13-2011, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys - and all the offers to get in there and get a free hunt :-)

I'll take this all back to the property owner to see what he wants to do. From what chicoredneck writes, I'm hoping they get the message after a few of them fall.

On a side note, the owner is not anti-hunting. He's pro "get these freaking things away from my house".
I don't know how large the property is, but what I posted works well on 700-200 acre properties. For larger ranches to truly eliminate the pigs you need sustained pressure for quite some time and usually the use of dogs. Each case is unique, but ranches with large tracks of thick brush can be very difficult to rid of pigs sometimes.

I made the assumption that the property you are speaking of is not a large ranch by the nature of the original post. The greatest challenge the owner is going to face is if the pigs decide there is something on his property that is so irresistable that they must eat it. If that is the case then they will become nocturnal before they leave. A depredation permit and the use of nigh hunting and snares is the best way to get rid of the hogs if this happens. In the end, no matter what, chances are that eventually the pigs will come back. It may take a few months or it may take a few years, but they will return usually.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by chicoredneck; 09-13-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Old 09-13-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINKS001 View Post
I think you and I CAN be friends. I'll tell you the rest when we go. Deal??? (pssss... PM me)
No kidding.

Legal disclaimer: Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, including me.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:17 AM

I have a tag, pm me, ill provide the beer and an extra rifle for someone to use. Lets be friends.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I have a pig tag.
Quote:
happy to help
Quote:
I'll get a pig tag
potlickers suck

Quote:
3) What do we do with them after they're shot? There's only so much bacon a man can eat.
not a whole lot of bacon on wild hogs, but plenty of sausage to be made.... and you can NEVER have too much sausage.
Old 09-13-2011, 2:21 PM

Hell I'll kick down some money.
Quote:
"Those who would ban extended magazines, will say that although hundreds of thousands are in circulation and thousands more will surely be sold before a ban is enacted, it will be worth it if it saves just one life. But the other half of that question must be asked, too: Is it worth it if it costs just one life?" Stephen Hunter
Old 09-13-2011, 3:37 PM

Smile

Quote:

Questions:

Thanks for the help...

Hi,
Myself and a couple of my friends have our licenses and pig tags ready to go when you are. Just let me know. Thanks, I know you have numerous replies already but it sounds like there are many pigs to take care of!
Old 09-13-2011, 3:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Let me know if you need help? I have my pig tags already.
Old 09-13-2011, 3:52 PM

Nice problem to have...
I use archery for pigs.
Old 09-13-2011, 7:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

HEY give the guy a chance for his own pig hunt. Then we will divide the rest of hunting by who is closest. OH that would be ME

Have a fun hunt and please do not waste the meat.

jerry
Old 09-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
HEY give the guy a chance for his own pig hunt. Then we will divide the rest of hunting by who is closest. OH that would be ME

Have a fun hunt and please do not waste the meat.

jerry
Got dibs next then. My little sis is attending Sonoma State and i'm swing by to check up on her soooo let me and zinfull know

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 09-14-2011, 4:33 AM

Old 09-14-2011, 6:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicoredneck View Post
I don't know how large the property is, but what I posted works well on 700-200 acre properties. For larger ranches to truly eliminate the pigs you need sustained pressure for quite some time and usually the use of dogs. Each case is unique, but ranches with large tracks of thick brush can be very difficult to rid of pigs sometimes.

I made the assumption that the property you are speaking of is not a large ranch by the nature of the original post. The greatest challenge the owner is going to face is if the pigs decide there is something on his property that is so irresistable that they must eat it. If that is the case then they will become nocturnal before they leave. A depredation permit and the use of nigh hunting and snares is the best way to get rid of the hogs if this happens. In the end, no matter what, chances are that eventually the pigs will come back. It may take a few months or it may take a few years, but they will return usually.

Good luck and have fun!
I didn't think snares were legal in CA.
Old 09-14-2011, 7:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1 View Post
I didn't think snares were legal in CA.
Snares are legal under a depredation permit. They are usually placed in holes in fences where the pigs are entering or exiting a property.
Old 09-14-2011, 9:06 AM

Have tags, will travel.....
No, I never had good enough dexterity to play with the sack.
Old 09-15-2011, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

From this CA DFG page:
Quote:
When damaging or destroying, or threatening to immediately damage or destroy land or property; landowner, agent or employee “encounters” damage or threat, may take immediately.
"It's coming right for us, Ned!"

Seriously, its a good reference chart. I would recommend a depredation permit. I have no idea how hard it is to obtain one in Sonoma but I know they are issued quite regularly on the Central Coast (Monterey and Paso Robles). And a hunting license isn't a bad idea, or at least the hunter safety course. When I took mine I had plenty of range time but there was a bunch of great information for a city boy like me who had only camped in campgrounds, with the car nearby.

Edited to add: I cited that section because you listed the land in Sonoma and I assumed that the land you were talking about either was a vineyard or had some vineyards on it.

Last edited by mike_the_wino; 09-15-2011 at 2:38 PM..
Old 09-15-2011, 11:54 AM

The depredation permit needs the land owners' name and those in the hunting party.
From what I've read, they are rather picky about that.

However, he could request some "help" from the occasional friendly license holders in the area to get rid of those darn pigs. Add me to the list of those willing to help.

But most of all, don't wast the meat. There are plenty of churches and meal centers what would likely find that handy.
Old 09-15-2011, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpuig View Post
The depredation permit needs the land owners' name and those in the hunting party.
From what I've read, they are rather picky about that.

However, he could request some "help" from the occasional friendly license holders in the area to get rid of those darn pigs. Add me to the list of those willing to help.

But most of all, don't wast the meat. There are plenty of churches and meal centers what would likely find that handy.
That's the best reply I've seen.....And when I have a pig problem I'll PM you....But only after I contact my insurance company. Did have a problem about 30 years ago but that was before hogs became certified game.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:44 PM

There are some old timers who work on only a handshake and been doing it that way for a couple generations. But times have changed. Most guys now will use a simple release of liability form, if they allow access at all.

The laws are funny about charging for access, but I'd certainly help dig some fence posts, paint a shed or help out in anyway that makes sense to gain some access. Guess I'm pretty old school.
Old 09-16-2011, 8:35 AM

Have truck, gun, drinks, and snacks. Will travel. Willing to work.

Always good making new friends and meeting new people!
Old 09-16-2011, 8:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I maybe incorrect but from memory if then land is posted you will need to carry written permission to hunt if you are not with the owner. Just a thought to keep you from getting into trouble.

jerry
Old 09-16-2011, 1:02 PM

Can we be friend?
Old 09-16-2011, 1:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEKILLA View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Buckhorn View Post
not a whole lot of bacon on wild hogs, but plenty of sausage to be made.... and you can NEVER have too much sausage.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpuig View Post
There are some old timers who work on only a handshake and been doing it that way for a couple generations. But times have changed. Most guys now will use a simple release of liability form, if they allow access at all.

The laws are funny about charging for access, but I'd certainly help dig some fence posts, paint a shed or help out in anyway that makes sense to gain some access. Guess I'm pretty old school.
+1

Quote:
I maybe incorrect but from memory if then land is posted you will need to carry written permission to hunt if you are not with the owner. Just a thought to keep you from getting into trouble.
Good advice.
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 09-16-2011, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

dont shoot them with the .223, people do but you better know what your doing the 25- and 208 will work fine. Wild pigs dont make good bacon, maybe take one fo these guys up on the offer to help you out. Im sure they would love to hunt and show you how to clean the pig so its ready to eat.
Old 09-16-2011, 8:11 PM

Talking

Quote:

Questions:

Thanks for the help...

You should be able to find a BBQ Rest that has a smoker and will smoke-it-up for you for say 1/3 or it. You could give it to friends if you don't eat pork. You could donate some to the NRA Hunters for hunter fund and feed the homeless that way. Or, you could give it to me.