Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 09-12-2011, 2:46 PM

Default IPSC in California with mag limit

Does California 10 round mag limit enforced in Limited competitions?

If not, aren't you going to lose to a LEO who can own high cap mag?

If it is enforced, is the .40 caliber advantage of more bullets in the mag than .45 caliber no longer valid as one can only load 10 in a mag?
Old 09-12-2011, 4:19 PM

USPSA has a Limited 10 division. Major power factor, 45 or 40. 10 rounds.
Production has a limit of 10 rounds, Single Stack has a limit also.
Old 09-12-2011, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
USPSA has a Limited 10 division. Major power factor, 45 or 40. 10 rounds.
Production has a limit of 10 rounds, Single Stack has a limit also.
Thanks. Excluding ammo cost, do Californian use .40 or .45 in Limited 10? I understand that .40 is cheaper to shoot.
Old 09-12-2011, 4:46 PM

To be honest it is a mix. Lot of guys with single stack 1911's shoot L10 with 10 round mags that stick out the bottom. Many USPSA shooters end up reloading. Getting a double stack 40 is limited in CA. Only the Barstow and Para have a 1911 style available on the roster.
Old 09-12-2011, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
To be honest it is a mix. Lot of guys with single stack 1911's shoot L10 with 10 round mags that stick out the bottom. Many USPSA shooters end up reloading. Getting a double stack 40 is limited in CA. Only the Barstow and Para have a 1911 style available on the roster.

I am thinking of getting a STI 2010 and is debating between a .40 or a .45? I can find a way to pass the California handgun roster requirement. Just not sure about the caliber. Price will be the same.

Any suggestion?
Old 09-12-2011, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent.5 View Post
I am thinking of getting a STI 2010 and is debating between a .40 or a .45? I can find a way to pass the California handgun roster requirement. Just not sure about the caliber. Price will be the same.

Any suggestion?
Reload.

WTB the following - in San Diego
--COLT Delta Elite 10mm Blued
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.
Old 09-12-2011, 6:23 PM

Quote:

Any suggestion?
STI 2010? New model or typo?
Old 09-12-2011, 7:05 PM

The Infinity SVI 2011 is on the roster in .45ACP only, but you can have it converted to .40 later. Expensive, but it's available.

STI/SVI 2011's are on the for-sale forum, they are generally PPT only, meaning you need to meet the seller at the FFL to do the transfer.
Old 09-12-2011, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-0- View Post
STI 2010? New model or typo?
2011. typo
Old 09-12-2011, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleKnight View Post
The Infinity SVI 2011 is on the roster in .45ACP only, but you can have it converted to .40 later. Expensive, but it's available.
Indeed, I am tempted to just bite the bullet and order a SVI, either a .40 or a .45.

Still have no idea about caliber. Maybe .40 because of rare-er?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 PM

You can also buy a Bar-Sto BS40. It's basically a STI Edge in 40. Send it to Freedom Gunworks and tell Bobby I sent you and he'll do a very nice trigger job as well as any other you'd like done (get the slide lightened a smidge; not required, but nice).

Rich

"Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

"The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham
Old 09-12-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscbigdawg View Post
You can also buy a Bar-Sto BS40. It's basically a STI Edge in 40. Send it to Freedom Gunworks and tell Bobby I sent you and he'll do a very nice trigger job as well as any other you'd like done (get the slide lightened a smidge; not required, but nice).

Rich
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2011, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Excluding ammo cost, do Californian use .40 or .45 in Limited 10? I understand that .40 is cheaper to shoot.
As 3GunFunShooter pointed out, you definitely see people using a .45 acp single stack 1911 (with an extended 10 round magazine) in Limited 10. I've also seen guys use a G35 for Limited-10 as well. But I would still say the majority of people who use wide body 2011's are using .40 caliber- as it's the same gun for when they shoot Limited.

If I were to pick up any kind of Limited gun (STI/SVI/Barsto..), I'd chamber it for .40 caliber.
Old 09-13-2011, 1:00 PM

Definately a 40. Barsto is a nice gun. Also, checkout JVDynamics.com JOjo and Jimmy are building some nice stuff.
Old 09-13-2011, 1:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscbigdawg View Post

Rich
Bobby is a great guy!

Quote:
Thanks.
Call Brandon now!

TeamBosing Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/teambosing?feature=mhee

NEED LEAD BULLETS??? PM ME!
Old 09-13-2011, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Indeed, I am tempted to just bite the bullet and order a SVI, either a .40 or a .45.

again... you can NOT order a .40! .45 only THEN, convert it to .40.

TeamBosing Channel

Old 09-13-2011, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdad View Post
So again, has anyone found out if Brandon know about single shot exemption and if he is willing to do them? Saves customers the hassle of sending a whole pistol back.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 09-13-2011, 3:41 PM

Since the SVI's have an interchangeable breech face, why couldn't someone order the on-list 45 and at the same time have them fit an extra 40 barrel, breech face, ejector and extractor. Those parts could be sent directly to the buyer while the complete on-list gun would be DROS'd through the FFL. Still more expensive than buying a 40 alone, but you save $150+ in shipping the gun back and forth and you don't have to buy a new slide.
Old 09-13-2011, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedevil View Post
Since the SVI's have an interchangeable breech face, why couldn't someone order the on-list 45 and at the same time have them fit an extra 40 barrel, breech face, ejector and extractor. Those parts could be sent directly to the buyer while the complete on-list gun would be DROS'd through the FFL. Still more expensive than buying a 40 alone, but you save $150+ in shipping the gun back and forth and you don't have to buy a new slide.
just wondering if any competitive shooter out there shoots with the interchangeable breech face?

TeamBosing Channel

Old 09-13-2011, 3:54 PM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

Or you can do a single shot roster exempt transfer.
An interfamiliat transfer.
Or a PPT for an off roster handgun.

If you find the gun you want and it is off roster, an FFL here will single shot it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
"A true patriot would repeal the patriot act"
Ron Paul
Old 09-13-2011, 3:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post
So again, has anyone found out if Brandon know about single shot exemption and if he is willing to do them? Saves customers the hassle of sending a whole pistol back.
i was talking to Brandon yesterday. but i forgot to ask him regarding the SSE.

feel free to call him and ask, i want to know as well.

Infinity Firearms
3435 Roy Orr Blvd, Suite 200
Grand Prairie, TX 75050

800-928-1911
972-513-1911
972-513-0575 (fax)

info@sviguns.com

TeamBosing Channel

Old 09-13-2011, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
i was talking to Brandon yesterday. but i forgot to ask him regarding the SSE.

feel free to call him and ask, i want to know as well.

Infinity Firearms
3435 Roy Orr Blvd, Suite 200
Grand Prairie, TX 75050

800-928-1911
972-513-1911
972-513-0575 (fax)

info@sviguns.com
I'm too poor to even ask. I just thought those more financially fortunate than I could use the information. I'd ask STI but they abandoned CA ages ago. I wonder if any of the custom smiths would have the proper ffl to do a sse.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 09-13-2011, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedevil View Post

I believe that shipping is $150, but it includes shipping a total of 3 times. The problem is that you still need magazines for each barrel. At around $120 a pop and if one is getting 4 mags for each caliber, you may not be saving any money.

So, it is really an extra $100 and there should be no sales tax.

Last edited by agent.5; 09-13-2011 at 6:46 PM..
Old 09-13-2011, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post
I wonder if any of the custom smiths would have the proper ffl to do a sse.
I actually asked this specific question, and Akai said "not a problem"
http://acguns.com/

I also ask Valkyrie arms whether it will SSE a STI 2011 or a pistol built from a STI frame, and the answer is yes to both, but it has to say "Valkyrie Arms" on it if it is a frame build. Price is very reasonable.

http://valkyriearms.net/laws.php

I know that there is a .40 STI Tactical available for sale as "single shot" by a dealer in the Bay Area and I bet it will show up at Cow Palace this weekend.

Last edited by agent.5; 09-13-2011 at 6:49 PM..
Old 09-13-2011, 9:40 PM
Veteran Member

That's good to know. I've heard good things about Akai on Enos forums.

Old 09-14-2011, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

I prefer the 40 over the 45 for a few points.. brass is cheaper, bullets tend to be cheaper, and you can make the same power factor easily enough with the 40.. You also don't need those long 170 mm mags to get 10 rounders.. there are a lot of ppl selling the wide body guns used that you can still manage to find one now and then. Too many ppl I see who shoot the 45 are not that good since they insist on shooting full power 45 acp and they can't hit anything due to recoil and muzzle flip.. There are few really good 45 shooters out there.. Another thing that some top shooters are doing is going Limited and L10-minor with 9mm.. 9mm is cheap and very easy to control in a steel platform gun.. cheap ammo = more practice for your money = faster mastery of the pistol in question.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
false - the gun builder on the SVI website lets you specify whatever options you want - they have a CA approved - for lack of better terms, I will use the word "mule" - that is on the roster. You specify exactly what you want, 1-2 months out from your build completion date, SVI sends the mule to your FFL so you can dros it, after the dros you send it directly back and it is built to your specification and sent back.

So you must order it in whatever caliber you want and the mule will come with the caliber and spec that is what matches on the CA roster list.

my mule arrives in 2-3 months.

Current wait time is around a year or so for a SVI
Old 09-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digby View Post
false - the gun builder on the SVI website lets you specify whatever options you want - they have a CA approved - for lack of better terms, I will use the word "mule" - that is on the roster. You specify exactly what you want, 1-2 months out from your build completion date, SVI sends the mule to your FFL so you can dros it, after the dros you send it directly back and it is built to your specification and sent back.

So you must order it in whatever caliber you want and the mule will come with the caliber and spec that is what matches on the CA roster list.

I think everyone understands how this works by now and it has become a bit of back of forth on the semantics of what is actually being ordered. My question is are you paying for the "mule" parts? If you are saying you don't have to pay extra for those parts, then that is a new interesting piece of information for the discussion.

Congrats on your order. I have yet to see anyone disappointed in their SVI. Be sure to post pics in a year when you have your new toy.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:51 AM

you do not pay extra for the "mule", as you have to send the "mule" back. You only pay the extra shipping charges.

Last edited by agent.5; 09-15-2011 at 6:14 PM..
Old 09-15-2011, 1:29 PM

Quote:

Which finishing did you order? It is too bad that SVI does not offer hard chrome.

Last edited by agent.5; 09-15-2011 at 6:13 PM..
Old 09-15-2011, 8:14 PM

You can get it chromed after the fact or better still get Cobalt from Plate-Tacular. Daniel does awesome work and his prices are great! Make sure to let him know that his teammate Rich sent you.

Rich

"Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

"The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Thanks for all the responses. .40, I shall order. Still not sure of finishing though.
Old 09-19-2011, 1:40 PM

Quote:

Not false - the .45 is the only CA approved SVI. The process is a workaround, but at the end of the day an SVI in .40 cal will need to be PPT if you want to sell it.
Old 09-19-2011, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

I talked to someone who works for sti at the USPSA nationals and he said they were going to re-evaluate the California market in the next year or so. Might be something to look forward to.
Old 09-19-2011, 9:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Go with the 40 SW. Faster round and cheaper brass, if you decide to reload.
Old 09-20-2011, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
I talked to someone who works for sti at the USPSA nationals and he said they were going to re-evaluate the California market in the next year or so. Might be something to look forward to.
Hopefully, they're looking into the single shot exemption process. Best way that I know of to work around the loaded chamber indicator (though easy to do on its own: see Springfield barrels), mag disconnect, and last but not least roster certification.