Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 09-10-2011, 9:07 PM

Default Help with Air Force Reserve Recruiter.

damn i hope this guy isn't on CGN...

anyways.

BACKGROUND - when i was in high school i signed up for the USAF. i took the ASVAB and was in the DEP program for my Jr. and Sr. years. I graduated high school in 2007. after i graduated i was still in the DEP program until i turned 18. but before i turned 18 i got hired by a local city. looking at my options i chose the city because a govt. job is once in a life time, it paid more, and i could always fall back into the military.

CURRENT - looking back, i wanted to re-enlist but as a reserve cause i made permanent at my job and cause i want to start where i left of while maintaining my job. so i went back to my old recruiter's office and i learned that the USAF have separate recruiting stations for ENLISTED and RESERVE. my local reserve recruiting center is all the way in ONTARIO, CA which is about 45 min from me with light traffic.

the first time i drove to the recruiter to show him my SS card, birth cert, and ID. he said after he sends in my information he will meet up with me to hand me my paper work for the ASVAB. everything was cool.

he called me to meet with him at his office at 15:00 so i can sign the ASVAB papers and be at MEPS (ontario) before 16:30 cause thats when they hold the last tests of the day. so i took a day off from work so i would make everything on time. at 13:00 i entered the freeway in route to the recruiter's office. at 13:30 he calls me and tells me that he cannot make it back to his office in time and that he will reschedule with me. i was so pissed off because me taking a day off of work costs me $300 every time.

second attempt at retrieving my ASVAB paper work. he says to meet up for lunch at his office. so i drive there and have lunch with him and sign the papers. after i sign the papers he tells me that he accidentally made my ASVAB appointment at the EL SEGUNDO MEPS which is also 45 min from my house in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION. at this point i'm kinda mad because i have to back track, waste gas, but i go along with it anyways. i arrive at MEPS (EL SEGUNDO) and the place is CLOSED! i call me recruiter and he says hold on let me call them. i'm waiting around for 10 minutes and i still haven't got a call back. finally someone from inside MEPS comes out and says "what do you want?" i say "i'm here to take the ASVAB" he says "no you're not, we're closed, who is your recruiter and let me see your paper work" i hand him my paper work and ask if my recruiter has called him. he says "no" then i say "he said he was going to 10 minutes ago" the guy from MEPS says " call your recruiter, let me talk to him" so i do and as soon as the guy from MEPS is in the middle of formally introducing himself over the phone the recruiter says "hold on" and puts us on hold for literally 5 minutes. when he comes back on they do their military talk "blah blah blah" the guy from MEPS explains the situation " your recruiter did not check to see if today was open for ASVAB testing, **** YOUR RECRUITER HE IS A DUMBASS go find a new one." i said "i can't he is the only one in this WHOLE AREA, the next one is in Nevada" he says "good luck" and goes home.

i call my recruiter back and he says "i'm sorry man, i'll try and reschedule you for sometime this week or next week, i will call you for further details. how about next time you come up to my office and i'll buy you a cup of coffee, look i got to go, i have another call, bye."

i'm thinking hell no i'm not going to ONTARIO for coffee then haul *** back to el segundo for a test, i'm going straight to EL SEGUNDO for the test. anyways it's been about 5 weeks now and i have not herd a word from my recruiter. i would call him but i always get a few minutes of his time and then "i got another call, i'll call you later"

WHAT SHOULD I DO? is there any AIR FORCE RECRUITER OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP ME?

If guns are outlawed, then an outlaw I'll be...
WHEN YOU COME FOR MINE, BRING YOURS!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

ammo donations accepted here!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:29 AM

contact the regular enlistment recruiter and ask to speak to the Master Sgt. let him hear your story and see if things change with your recruiter.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2011, 3:37 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I got sort of blown off by the Air Force Reserve recruiter back in the 90's. After another fruitless visit to his office I got diverted into the Army Reserve recruitment office next door by a motivated Army recruiter. 5 weeks later I was at Fort Jackson, SC in BCT. NO REGRETS HOOAH!
Old 09-11-2011, 4:04 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah its Air Force, what do you expect?
Old 09-11-2011, 4:33 AM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

wow. I would not let this clown touch my paperwork, if I were you. He sounds incompetent, and will probably screw your future up nine ways from Sunday, of his past shenanigans are any indication of future performance.
Old 09-11-2011, 8:25 AM

Skip both and join the Air National Guard out at Channel Islands. The recruiters work at the base so there isn't any "oops I didn't know it was closed".
Old 09-11-2011, 9:06 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

There are different recruiters for Active and Reserve. If this guy is being an asshat, look at joining the Air National Guard. You will be State affiliated, but everything is the same deal as the Air Force Reserve which is Federal. Check the March AFB website and grab the recruiter's number from there. I believe LA Air Station has a reserve recruiter, but don't quote me on that.

- Alejandro Gillick
Old 09-12-2011, 8:29 AM

March ARB in Moreno Valley has both Air Guard and Reserve recruiters on the base. Its a flying base we have C-17's and KC-135's.

NRA: Life Member
Old 09-12-2011, 8:42 AM
In Memoriam

Does he look like this?

Old 09-12-2011, 9:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Does he look like this?

that is an awesome ribbon rack! My 5 y/o could have put it together better.
Old 09-12-2011, 8:30 PM

ahaha no his name is TSgt Barrar. i've never seen him in uniform, it is always wearing basketball shorts, big Tshirt or polo, and sandals at the office.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-12-2011, 8:59 PM

I'm not sure how recruiting works in the Air Force realm as I'm doing Navy Recruiting, regardless though that is unsat. If I were you I'd be calling a regular AF recruiting station and asking for the head recruiter there and talk to them. If that doesn't work then call another station ask them to put you in contact with whoever their division/zone supervisor is and talk to them about your issue with your reserve recruiter.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 AM

alright i got bad news and good news.

TSgt barrar DISQUALIFIED me because he says i was unable to take the ASVAB. good news is i got in contact with his boss and he will investigate and could possibly reverse barrar's damage and set me up with a better recruiter. (:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-14-2011, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret.asian.man View Post
alright i got bad news and good news.

TSgt barrar DISQUALIFIED me because he says i was unable to take the ASVAB. good news is i got in contact with his boss and he will investigate and could possibly reverse barrar's damage and set me up with a better recruiter. (:
Weird, Barrar was my recruiter and he was outstanding. But then again I went from active duty Marine Corps to AF reserve. ...maybe he concentrates more on that ...doesn't sound like him at all.
Old 09-19-2011, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6114DAVE View Post
Weird, Barrar was my recruiter and he was outstanding. But then again I went from active duty Marine Corps to AF reserve. ...maybe he concentrates more on that ...doesn't sound like him at all.
i got an update. it turns out that tsgt barrar is on his way out so they think he just isn't caring as much.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-19-2011, 9:46 PM

UPDATE!!! Master Sgt Haynes cleared everything, hooked me up with a NEW recruiter, and i'm starting the paper trail all over again with Tsgt Wandzilak.

UPDATE on tsgt barrar. they said tsgt barrar is on his way out of the military, he has been taking A LOT of vacation and they think he simply doesn't care as much and i got the bad end of it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
UPDATE!!! Master Sgt Haynes cleared everything, hooked me up with a NEW recruiter, and i'm starting the paper trail all over again with Tsgt Wandzilak.

UPDATE on tsgt barrar. they said tsgt barrar is on his way out of the military, he has been taking A LOT of vacation and they think he simply doesn't care as much and i got the bad end of it.
Oh wow, that was sudden.
Old 09-20-2011, 9:18 PM

hey guy's thanks for all of your help. suggesting that i go talk to his master SGT was the greatest help so far. i'll keep this updated

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-23-2011, 4:55 AM

Nice man, glad you got some good help there. Keep up your head up since not all the military is as bad that guy was.

Old 09-23-2011, 6:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
i got an update. it turns out that tsgt barrar is on his way out so they think he just isn't caring as much.
Short timer syndrome, in a bad way.
The basket ball shorts and flip flops was a good touch though.
Old 09-23-2011, 7:23 AM
Veteran Member

wow... recruiting has changed since I went in, and that was in 2005. At that point it would be worth it for me to go to a different recruiter so he doesn't get the credit for signing you on.

OIF 07-09 Veteran
NRA Endowment Member, CRPA Life Member
Old 09-23-2011, 8:03 AM

I'm Going To Be At March AFB Today Around Noon Time.

to redo and restart all of my paper work. fcukin bararr...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-23-2011, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah02 View Post
wow... recruiting has changed since I went in, and that was in 2005. At that point it would be worth it for me to go to a different recruiter so he doesn't get the credit for signing you on.
oh yeah, the new guy will get all of the credit. MASTER Sgt Haynes took me and several others OUT of Barrar's system and put us in TSgt Wandzilak's. it turns out that barrar lost interest (screwed over) in about 10-15 other people wanting to join. TSgt Wndzilak is getting a huge pile of everyone's profiles handed over to him today.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-23-2011, 9:59 PM

today i went to MARCH AFB i met with MSGT Haynes and TSGT Wandzilak. my paper work is all squared away. i just need to find two days to take off of work and take my ASVAB and get a physical.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 PM

tsgt barrar fcuked up my paper work is so many ways. today i found out that he made a typo when inputting my SSN so my name and SSN didn't match when it returned in the system so i was automatically disqualified. he also made a typo when inputting my home address n top of the previous fcuk ups. so TSGT Wandsilak gathered all of the paper work i did with barrar hrew it in a shredder and re started the whole entire process.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 PM

Well at least it sounds like you got some good ppl working for you now. What did ya think of March? kind of sad dont you think lol.

If you drive all the way down the flight line to the tower my shop is right there.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comcam View Post
Well at least it sounds like you got some good ppl working for you now. What did ya think of March? kind of sad dont you think lol.

If you drive all the way down the flight line to the tower my shop is right there.
yeah it's kind of old but it being my first time on a base, it was fcuking awesome! i did drive by the Air Traffic Control Tower, well Tsgt Wandsilak drove me up through the base a little, we stopped to watch a c-17 do it safety check and i guess get ready to go back to it's home base. he pointed out different places, like the EOD building, Security forces building, old wwII plane hangers, some flight club, etc... it was an awesome experience. i don't think i'd mind living there except for how hot it gets and the noise at night.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

ive been to march, i dont remember the name of the hanger we did but it was next to the tower if i remember correctly.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuscooler View Post
I have Paramilitary training
Old 09-24-2011, 12:25 PM

sounds like you're on the right track now! congrats
Old 09-24-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
yeah it's kind of old but it being my first time on a base, it was fcuking awesome! i did drive by the Air Traffic Control Tower, well Tsgt Wandsilak drove me up through the base a little, we stopped to watch a c-17 do it safety check and i guess get ready to go back to it's home base. he pointed out different places, like the EOD building, Security forces building, old wwII plane hangers, some flight club, etc... it was an awesome experience. i don't think i'd mind living there except for how hot it gets and the noise at night.
The planes stop flying around 10pm or there about. They do it for the homes in the area. Of course they fly if there is an emergency, we had a plane arrive at midnight and leave at 4am for the Japan earthquake.

You went right by my shop if ya went to the tower.

What job are you looking at trying to get?

Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
The planes stop flying around 10pm or there about. They do it for the homes in the area. Of course they fly if there is an emergency, we had a plane arrive at midnight and leave at 4am for the Japan earthquake.

You went right by my shop if ya went to the tower.

What job are you looking at trying to get?
i'm not sure yet. i think i'd like SF or EOD or maybe even fire prevention.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Those are good career fields.

- Alejandro Gillick
Old 09-24-2011, 11:21 PM

Id suggest anything but SF

Old 09-25-2011, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Id suggest anything but SF
whats wrong with SF?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-25-2011, 8:44 AM

Quote:
whats wrong with SF?
Do you enjoy standing next to airplanes all day? What about being a security guard standing next to a gate?
Old 09-25-2011, 8:50 AM

oh. that's not what the description says. lol!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-25-2011, 9:24 AM

Google "usaf security forces photos" and notice how many photos are of an Airman guarding something. Then look at the action "fun stuff" photos and notice they are NCOs.

The "better" jobs in SF are after you are up in rank. Keep in mind SF has the lowest asvab score requirement so you're going to work with folks that barely qualify to be in the USAF. I had friends in SF and they really didn't like the job. Driving around a perimeter fence 12+ hrs, in the 110* desert, in friendly territory, is a very real possibility.

I think Fire Protection would be a better job and more applicable when you get out.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Yup what they said, they are the rocks of the AF, not all but a lot of um.

I see what the SF guys do here in the stan, they sit by our fence for 12 hour days, then some get in a humvee and drive around and check doors and drive on the flight line. They wear there body armor the whole time.

Dont forget back in the states that your shift might be 12 hours but that does not include the 2 hours or so you have to get there before work to do guard mount (arm up and talk about ****)

Plus most have to come in on there days off to do training and stuff.

Choose a better job, fire fighter would be sweet.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Get a job working on the aircraft.fighters in particular. Then you'll get to go TDY anytime the jets go somewhere. Vegas, Panama City FL, Europe, SW & SE Asia... I got my name on every TDY I could, Vegas (Nellis)is always fun and Spring break in Panama City(Tyndall)is something to see. I never knew what a tundra bunny was until I went to Cold Lake Canada, I never want to go back.

If you want to be a cop,join the CHP
Old 09-28-2011, 7:55 PM

I'm up at Travis flying the KC-10 in the reserves. I know you didn't ask my opinion, but respectfully, I would either go comm or medical. Seriously, I was artillery in the Army, got a comission in the Air Force to be a network engineer and then went to flight training to fly jets. I wish I would have stayed in computers. At least I would have had enough scratch to buy my own airplane. Look at the economy, someday you'll have to worry about taking care of your own family. For what it's worth....

And yes, I'm very familiar with the 452nd and 4th AF. Been there, done that.