Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-09-2011, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

Default High end .38 special +1 ammo.

I meant +P ammo in the title! My iphone hates posting on this site sometimes!

I'm planning on using .357 in my new model 66 when I get it in a few days but I would like to know what decent +P .38's there are out there. I'm preferring bonded defense rounds and some cheap non +P .38 special for target shooting.

Last edited by Sturnovik; 09-09-2011 at 4:33 PM.. Reason: Darn iphone!
Old 09-09-2011, 5:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I old fashioned and still carry the 158 gr SWCHP. Right now my defensinve 38's are loaded with Federal 38G becasue I got a good deal on 10 boxes of it . For practice I use Speer Cleanfire or handloads. I've heard good things about the Hornady XTP, too.
Old 09-09-2011, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Defense have received good results in testing that I've seen. We use the "short barrel" 135 grain Gold Dot .38 +P in my wife's snub Model 19. It shoots accurately, seems to hit with authority (water jugs) and is very controllable.

The Winchester SWCHP, as called out by scarville is still a very effective bullet, IMO. I wouldn't feel undergunned with it. FWIW, I keep a stash of Federal 200 grain SWCHP in .44 Special for my 3 inch Model 29. It may be old technology, bullet wise, but it still gets the job done pretty darned well.

For practice / plinking ammo, good commercial reloaded SWC (BVC, Miwall, Load-X or similar) is probably the most cost effective unless you are reloading your own. I use Load-X, since they are local to me and give a price break for brass exchange. Been shooting their stuff for years without an issue. If you have to have new factory stuff, Blazer Brass or Blazer Aluminum. I've used both, good amount of bang for the amount of bucks.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 09-09-2011 at 6:24 PM..
Old 09-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the tips thus far! I looked into the Gold dots! I couldn't believe they were more expensive than my 9mm or .40 rounds by 15 bucks!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default just a suggestion

I like the Gold Dots, but the CCI Blazer .38 special +P 125gr. JHP is a good inexpensive SD round, and the their .38 special +P 158 gr TMJ is a good practice round that doesn't lead up the barrel or forcing cone area of the revolver.

I also keep a few boxes of the Winchester Ranger .38 Special +P+ 110gr JHP (old Treasury Dept. load). But only for use in modern +P rated .38 or .357 revolvers and never in a light weight 38 special revolvers. They come close to exceeding the proof pressure of some of the older .38 special revolvers.

Last edited by psango; 09-10-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Old 09-10-2011, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psango View Post
I like the Gold Dots, but the CCI Blazer .38 special +P 125gr. JHP is a good inexpensive SD round, and the their .38 special +P 158 gr TMJ is a good practice round that doesn't lead up the barrel or forcing cone area of the revolver.

I also keep a few boxes of the Winchester Ranger .38 Special +P+ 110gr JHP (old Treasury Dept. load). But only for use in modern +P rated .38 or .357 revolvers and never in a light weight 38 special revolvers. They come close to exceeding the proof pressure of some of the older .38 special revolvers.
Yea, its an older J frame but its a model 66 so I wouldn't try it in a small snubbie model but I'm looking for cheap practice rounds after getting some decent +P loads. 1/2 boxes is all I need for defense.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Calguns Addict

The Model 66 is a "K" frame, not a "J" frame.

"Holy Crud, nothing seems to change on CalGuns.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
FPC Supporter
Old 09-11-2011, 9:11 AM
Veteran Member

Aye you are correct sir! I've done goofed . I'm definitely typing my posts back on my laptop from now on! In any case, I found a box of gold dots or 25, snatched them up!