Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 AM

Default Poser rack challenge.

I jsut made this up. Something is seriously wrong here.

Hint: These are all army ribbons, but the error is universal across all services. Also, I think I made the error pretty obvious.

If you guys are entertained by this I can make more, and maybe with hypothetical descriptions of the wearer.
Old 09-09-2011, 4:18 AM

I see a WW2 Victory Medal Ribbon, Korea Defense Service Medal ribbon in there along with both GWOT Expeditionary and Service ribbons. Obviously this is Chuck Norris' ribbon rack. Although only one Bronze Star makes me think twice.

The obvious mistake was the WW2 ahead of the the others.
Old 09-09-2011, 7:57 AM

nevermind, I posted something then realized they had a GWOT expeditionary medal for OIF1 presumably.
Old 09-09-2011, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachdog View Post
I see a WW2 Victory Medal Ribbon, Korea Defense Service Medal ribbon in there along with both GWOT Expeditionary and Service ribbons. Obviously this is Chuck Norris' ribbon rack. Although only one Bronze Star makes me think twice.

The obvious mistake was the WW2 ahead of the the others.
The ribbon you said was the Korea Defense Service Medal is actually the NCO Professional Development Medal. Otherwise, spot on.
Old 09-09-2011, 9:58 AM

Yes, the WWII victory medal is out of place. The last serviceman to retire with WWII history was in the mid 90's (forced out because of age from the CG).

So essentially, no one will have awards spanning from WWII and the WOT.

I'll make another
Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 AM

OK, letís say this one is being worn by a Staff Sgt (E6) in this late 20ís.

Hint: Something is implausible.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 AM

legion of merit is an officer's ribbon??
Old 09-09-2011, 1:11 PM
Veteran Member

No combat action ribbon. Oh if it's army I know they don't have a badge so it might be right. And yeah I think the legion of merit is an officers medal

BNIB M40 Gas Mask (medium)
Old 09-09-2011, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molby242 View Post
legion of merit is an officer's ribbon??
Yep, and usually O6 and above. I just think it's the coolest of all medals.

here's a another one

this one is just compeltely silly. Also, it's being worn by a male.
Old 09-09-2011, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Yep, and usually O6 and above. I just think it's the coolest of all medals.
That was going to be my guess, until I read in a few different places that stated everyone is eligible, but if an enlisted soldier gets it, they would more than likely be a Sr. NCO. SGM Waugh is the first example I came across.
Old 09-09-2011, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
please attach the links you guys use to save these images..

I had at one time tried a few "free" ones but didn't have an option to save just an image..

then I'll show you my rack if you show me yours.. bad Navy humor.. lol..

Oh, Iím making these racks though:
MedalsOfAmerica.com

Then Iím saving them as a picture file and posting them on my photobucket.com account.

Itís kind of a pain. Once I build a rack, I canít really copy and past it as one, and when I past it all the individual ribbons I have to reorganize them, and I would have to place all the attachments again as well (which is why Iím not even bothering with attachments).
Old 09-09-2011, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I never cared about ribbons or medals. So they could be all jacked up and I would never know or care. The only time I paid the least bit of attention was to make sure mine where in the correct order when I was awarded something new and to be able to spot the medal of honor ribbon since my last assignment required working with lots of retired guys in Arizona (a placed they flock to in droves) who would occasionally get dressed in their uniform again for special events. They were always honoring retired heros, and you wanted to pay the proper respect when you encountered them. Aside from that, didn't mean a damn thing to me. Sure, if a guy did something great I am not knocking that. But most ribbons are for ordinary things like "good conduct" or being assigned to a region when something happens to be going on there - whether you participated or not. Only a handful of them are true hero stuff. Since I would treat EVERYONE with respect, it didn't really matter much if I knew they were a stud or not. They all got treated with decency and respect the uniform and their rank merited.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-09-2011 at 3:14 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
I never cared about ribbons or medals.
That kind of wasn’t my intent with this little game.

I intended these “quizzes” to be a call out for potential posers.

I became interested in knowing what all the ribbons mean when my grandfather passed away, and his medal set was split up and parts were given to each of the 4 grandchildren.

However, what I did was make entire DUPLICATE sets of his medals to augment the original ones we each shared. So we each have a duplicate full set to display with his picture.

Reading a ribbon rack gives a starting baseline to understand where and what someone has done.

So if a poser was to just walk into a surplus store grab a bunch of ribbons and wear them chances are he will create a rack that has conflicting services, and campaign locations that are not logistically possible.

No takers on this last one?

Old 09-09-2011, 4:25 PM
Calguns Addict

My point was 95% of guys who served with honor and distinction would fail your "poser" test. So it is not very effective.

I am not a big fan of people looking for "posers". More often than not you end up insulting somebody who served their country by accusing of him lying about it when you have no clue what the heck you are talking about. There is nothing more disgraceful than that.

Yes, there is the occasional sad idiot who pretends he served. They are few and far between. The odds of your falsely accusing somebody of it are about a billion times higher than actually finding a poser.

My last "altercation" was over an Army Sergeant harassing my buddies at a bachelor party accusing all of us about lying about being military and former military. It didn't end well for him.

We tend to get a little hot under the collar when people accuse of us lying about our military service. Especially when they het up in your face about it. It is a good way to get your rear kicked.

It might sound like fun...but it asking for trouble. Not to mention that the overwelming majority of the time you end up insulting somebody who you should be thanking.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-09-2011 at 4:33 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
wow.. living CMOH recipients are flocking to AZ in droves?

Total Recipients: 3,457
Living Recipients: 84
Double Recipients: 19

nothing fancy on my uni.. Navy COM, CAR, a few theater and campaign gimme's.. but not for a single minute would I even consider disrespecting any component of my uniform.. or be caught dead out of uniform while wearing one. period. While my ribbons, medals, rank, etc. reflect my accomplishments in military service, they also reflect on my fellow Sailor and Soldiers I share them with.. proper military bearing has nothing to do with heroism..

no different than our national ensign itself.. which I made no specific act to create only to preserve what it represents.. I hope you at least display that properly..
No...and if you read it it again it will be obvious that is NOT what I meant. What is with all the people starting static just for the sake of starting static lately? This place turned into a smart aleck haven over night. If you spent half the time on helping and contributing that you guys do trying to make your fellow members look bad this would be a much better place.

Retired people who served in the military flock to Arizona in droves. Luke AFB is located right next to one of the largest retirement communities in Arizona. It allows for retired people to live in style, while having immediate access to all their VA benefits. Also, as the largest F16 base in the world (or at least it was when I served there) it has constant visiting dignitaries. So it is a base that spends a great deal of time honoring heros and hosting events.

In the 3 years I was stationed there I encountered 2 medal of honor winners. More than most people would encounter in their entire enlistment. That's two NCOs I had to salute that I otherwise would have walked right on passed without blinking an eye. Not saluting them, and not calling the room to attention, would have made me look bad. Knowing how and when to do that was a job requirement. Because the odds of it happening at that base, given the retirement community next door, were much higher than most bases. While I only encountered 2, many more than that visited Luke while I was stationed there. Those are just the two I happened to run into, or rather ran into me.

My point was that it is the one medal and ribbion you memorize so you don't end up looking like a jerk and getting into trouble. Especially when you constantly deal with veterans as part of your duties. The rest don't require you to do anything you would not normally do.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-09-2011 at 4:50 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 4:41 PM

Quote:
No takers on this last one?

Without looking at the other ribbons, the top green one is only for those of the female type. You stated he was male.
Old 09-09-2011, 4:58 PM

Quote:
No...and if you read it it again it will be obvious that is NOT what I meant.
Really? I was under the same impression he was the first time I read it. I only understood your actual meaning after reading this comment and going back to read what you wrote.

Quote:
What is with all the people starting static just for the sake of starting static lately? It's like half the damn board needs an damn life time ban.
That's a good question. Why are you starting static? The OP was just posting racks and you joined the thread with your high and mighty post about how you don't care about ribbons and medals and you get to meet a lot of MOH recipients.

Actually, I didn't think you were bragging about it, but when you try and flip the attitude around when there wasn't any, I'll show you how easy it is to make your posts seem like there was attitude in them.

I am not going to respond to the rest of this post or any other previous posts because obviously something happened in your previous life to cause you to get on your soapbox.

I am enjoying this thread without you polluting it. Why? Each rack being posted is causing me to do some research and learn something new. Am I going to retain this knowledge and use it out in the real world? I very seriously doubt it. But at least I am enjoying learning a little bit here.

One last point I would like to make. Obviously you've served. Thank you for your sacrifice. That said, you should have grown a thicker skin than what you appear to be showing in this thread. I am not trying to attack you, I am merely trying to point out that this is all in fun and it is easy to misinterpret the written word. I will assume it has been a bad day, week, whatever. I know I get a little short tempered this time of year, every year.

Take care and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 09-09-2011, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Without looking at the other ribbons, the top green one is only for those of the female type. You stated he was male.
OK, yes, it is a WWII female service ribbon (and of course is now discontinued in modern services).

ALL the other ribbons are COMMEMORATIVE!!!!!!!!

So if you are a veteran, and feel you want to wear something to commemorate youíre service but werenít awarded an official medal/ribbon you can wear these without any worry that you are breaking any rules or regulations because NONE of them are official issue.

The catch would be NONE of them could be worn on a UNIFORM.

So really, these are interesting because displaying them wouldnít violate the Stolen Valor act.
Old 09-09-2011, 5:20 PM

Quote:
But at least I am enjoying learning a little bit here.
OK then

By the way, I should learn some thing here as well. I'm not going overboard with my racks, so while I have one or two issues that are red flags, that doesn't mean I completely missed something else.
Old 09-09-2011, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I am not going to respond to the rest of this post or any other previous posts because obviously something happened in your previous life to cause you to get on your soapbox.
What happened is I've seen good and decent people who served their country with honor and distinction be called liars by people who had no clue what they were talking about. One of the most disgraceful things I've ever witnessed. Might as well spit on their uniform.

I was trying to point out that while this might seem amusing in a theoretical sense, it's really not in real life. Odds are you're wrong and you are insulting a veteran. His test is a good example of how something you think is a good measuring stick is seriously flawed. Most people didn't spend a lot of time memorizing the ribbons for their own branch of service, much less all the other services.

99% of the time the justification people use to "challenge" somebody about their military service is just as flawed. One example I've seen posted here on Calguns in the past was the placement of patches on BDUs. This one let to screaming match in public, where a Calguns member accused a guy in uniform of being a fraud. And from his description of the even, it was totally wrong about.

During my enlistment the placement of name tapes and patches changed several times. First all patches except for a velcro flight patch flush against the pocket were banned. Then the flight patch was moved up 1/4 inch. Then stripes on the sleeves were allowed again but the flight patch remained. Then name tapes replaced the flight patch, except flush against the pocket, then unit and squadron patches were authorized again. Oh, and while all that was happening the reserves and guard units all did it their own unique thing was as well. It was confusing as hell. I'm sure it's changed at least 100 more times in the 15 years since I left active duty. So patch placement alone is not a good indicator of someone's legitimacy. Every service does it a little different, some units do it different from others, and it is constantly changing.

People take enormous pride in their military service. It doesn't matter if they were a cook or Navy Seal. It matters to them. Having somebody call them a liar about that, is beyond hurtful.

Call it preaching from a soapbox all you want. I'm in the right. You don't get to disrespect a serviceman just to amuse yourself. Not in my presence. None of the people I know who served would find it funny either. Not if they saw it go down.

There are so few posers out there. They are sad, desperate people. Trying to root them out is NOT worth the risk of dishonoring a veteran.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-09-2011 at 6:22 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 6:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
at ease.. point taken.. name calling not withstanding..
If I read something into your post that was not there I apologize. Past couple of days I've run into people who have really been getting my and other members goat just for giggles. So my fuze is a little short on that front. Aparently too short.

Plus this topic rubs me the wrong way. I have so much respect for those who serve, especially those who served in combat, that it just kills me that people think it's fun to question their service. I personally am really proud to have been priveldged to wear the uniform. Some of the proudest moments of life were a result of joining the military. So if it means that much to me, I can only imagine what it means to somebody who fought, lost buddies, and possibly lost parts of himself. That's worth speaking up for. That's worth arguing about.

If you have ever stood there and watched a serviceman be disrespected like this, and seen how vial and ugly people get in their accusations, it would make your skin crawl too.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-09-2011 at 6:27 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 6:19 PM

Quote:
What happened is I've seen good and decent people who served their country with honor and distinction be called liars by people who had no clue what they were talking about. One of the most disgraceful things I've ever witnessed. Might as well spit on their uniform.

I was trying to point out that while this might seem amusing in a theoretical sense, it's really not in real life. Odds are you're wrong and you are insulting a veteran. His test is a good example of how something you thing is a good measuring stick is seriously flawed. Most people didn't spend a lot of time memorizing the ribbons for their own branch of service, much less all the other services.

People take enormous pride in their military service. It doesn't matter if they were a cook or Navy Seal. It matters to them. Having somebody call them a liar about that, is beyond hurtful.

Call it preaching from a soapbox all you want. I'm in the right. You don't get to disrespect a serviceman just to amuse yourself. Not in my presence.

Brother, I know what you are saying and I don't disagree with it. Obviously we are looking at this "exercise" in two different lights. I look at it as a puzzle. You see it as a path leading to the insulting of service members.

Am I going to take this into the real world? No way. Do I call people out? Not unless it is blatantly obvious, and I haven't run across anyone that has caused me to question them yet. I give people the benefit of the doubt for the reasons you stated.

That said...

Quote:
You found another WWII ribbon to throw on there.
Old 09-09-2011, 6:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Brother, I know what you are saying and I don't disagree with it. Obviously we are looking at this "exercise" in two different lights. I look at it as a puzzle. You see it as a path leading to the insulting of service members.

Am I going to take this into the real world? No way. Do I call people out? Not unless it is blatantly obvious, and I haven't run across anyone that has caused me to question them yet. I give people the benefit of the doubt for the reasons you stated.

That said...

You found another WWII ribbon to throw on there.
I have no problem with the puzzle part of it. It is a fun challenge and you stumped me. You didn't actually call anybody a poser, so you have nothing to be ashamed of or sorry for. I wasn't ranting at you...just ranting against the whole "spot the poser" fad that has crept up. In my day, this would never have accured to people. Not unless they were wearing an Army top with Navy bottoms or some damn goofy thing. Even then would have just assumed he was mentally handicap and put a quarter in his cup so he could get some soup.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-09-2011 at 6:39 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 6:53 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

I can't tell what is wrong with the racks posted since I wasn't in the Army, nor do I have the interest to look up those ribbons. I got my own neat stack to play with.
Old 09-09-2011, 7:05 PM

The spirit and intent has be dilluted.

fine, this one is legit, any one care to guess who?

Old 09-09-2011, 7:41 PM

Quote:
The spirit and intent has be dilluted.

fine, this one is legit, any one care to guess who?

Audie Leon Murphy
Old 09-09-2011, 9:09 PM

This is a pretty good rack builder.

However, it is not easy to use.

http://ultimaterack.ajandj.com/
Old 09-09-2011, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsmileyface View Post
nevermind, I posted something then realized they had a GWOT expeditionary medal for OIF1 presumably.
Whoops!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
easy enough.. missing a lot of awards though.. figures - since it does give the user a single image.. oh well..
Thatís what I thought at first, but you need to click 3 boxes (in my case trying to duplicate my grandfathers).
1) For the service (Army for example, this is for ARMY ONLY awards)
2) Then the box for ALL services (this would have things like Bronze, Silver stars, campaign ribbons).
3) Then the non USA issued ribbons. Mostly for NATO actions
4) Then once the selections are made you need to expand the views for each one.
Itís all there, it just confusing.
Old 09-10-2011, 9:22 AM
Veteran Member

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathead View Post
The campaign ribbon deployments don't add up to the deployment/mobilizations? That's the only thing I can think of. But if that is the case, I have a caveat.

While I deployed once, I am authorized a campaign ribbon plus a bronze star because I was deployed during an operation name change (like Desert Shield to Desert Storm, OIF to New Dawn, etc.). While I do not agree with it since it was only one deployment, my ribbons show one mobilization and 2 campaigns.

If my guess is wrong, I am stumped.

Edit: Nevermind. I think you are showing off your own rack looking at your sig (and you aren't Snoopy!). Hahaha! That said, it makes sense since the mobilization ribbons are for reserve components and don't account for active duty time. Thanks for posting, the first thing that caught my eye was the bronze star on the National Defense Service Medal. I didn't realize devices were allowed on that until I looked it up!

Last edited by Lost; 09-10-2011 at 10:44 AM..
Old 09-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The campaign ribbon deployments don't add up to the deployment/mobilizations? That's the only thing I can think of. But if that is the case, I have a caveat.

While I deployed once, I am authorized a campaign ribbon plus a bronze star because I was deployed during an operation name change (like Desert Shield to Desert Storm, OIF to New Dawn, etc.). While I do not agree with it since it was only one deployment, my ribbons show one mobilization and 2 campaigns.

If my guess is wrong, I am stumped.

Edit: Nevermind. I think you are showing off your own rack looking at your sig (and you aren't Snoopy!). Hahaha! That said, it makes sense since the mobilization ribbons are for reserve components and don't account for active duty time. Thanks for posting, the first thing that caught my eye was the bronze star on the National Defense Service Medal. I didn't realize devices were allowed on that until I looked it up!
OEF philippines = GWOTE ... for me this was not a unit mob
Old 09-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

I like this, I havent kept up on ribbons for a very long time, I'm going to grab my dd214 and recreate mine, heck, my uniform might still have my rack on it, if i can find it in storage. it was missing a couple that were on my dd214 though for sure.
i can also create my grandparents, if this threads still going, i'll post them..
thanks for the thread
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 09-10-2011, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

OK, tell me how this looks, not sure on how to select the multiples, so the stars could be wrong. couldnt find what appears on the first dd214 as AIT medal.
i think this represents a record at time of re-enlistment, i know he has more than this, just cant find the record yet.
I know he is wounded, but cant find the order for purple heart yet, as he was shot down, and actually got a bullet through his foot/ankle

pa-medals.jpg
Old 09-10-2011, 1:57 PM
Calguns Addict

and this one
don-medal.jpg
Old 09-10-2011, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathead View Post
OEF philippines = GWOTE ... for me this was not a unit mob
Interesting. Thank you for sharing your rack!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Sorry for the OT but where do you guys make cools sigs with ribbons that you have? IDK and pretty new to the site. Sorry for the off topic and TIA!
Old 09-11-2011, 8:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I used one
http://ultimaterack.ajandj.com
for the pics posted above,

working this one for a sig thing,
http://profile.myarmedforces.com
its not as easy finding some stuff though, they dont even have my MOS as a selection.

this one is ok too for the pics, and it looks like you can get stickers and such made once you complete it
http://www.myservicepride.com

YMMV

Quote:
This is a pretty good rack builder.

However, it is not easy to use.

http://ultimaterack.ajandj.com/

Last edited by Tripper; 09-11-2011 at 8:31 PM..
Old 09-11-2011, 11:00 PM

And here's the one I got to look up to when growing up.

Old 10-09-2011, 7:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

News break.

The Legion of Merit is not an officer's only medal.

Enlisted may receive the Legionnaire Legion of Merit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Merit

It is a pretty good looking one though, fighting for real estate with the MOH (^_^).

"If guns kill people, can I blame my spelling errors on my pencil?"

Last edited by JerryM; 10-09-2011 at 7:23 PM.. Reason: correct spelling of Legionnaire.