Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-26-2007, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Question Ammo in the safe, or outside the safe!?

Trying to figure out which place to store ammo.

I figured that if I put it in the safe then it is good for 1300 degrees for 30 minutes...yet I tend to think that the heat/fire will ignite the ammo and cause it to destroy the weapons and everything else in the safe..

Am I over paranoid or is this possible?

Where do you store your ammo?
Old 01-26-2007, 8:38 PM

Talking I store it . . .

In the garage away from my collection of guns and stuff. Ammo is stored in surplus Ammo cans and are in a nice dark, cool place and are sealed from moisture, dust, dirt, and saw dust. But of course I have a few mags loaded by my safe just incase of a terrorist attack!!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 8:42 PM
Banned

I have a separate safe that I keep the ammo that I would use If I need it now and also keep a 24 foot shipping container with the additional ammo.

I would advise keeping ammo in a safe as it might contain it if there was a fire in the area.

At least that is my thought on the matter.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:45 PM

I store mine in the safe because it is supposedly guaranteed to keep the contents below 140F for an hour in an 1800F fire, I figure any fire would not last that long. This gives the volunteer firefighters a bit of peace of mind.

If it were not fireproof, I would not store ammo in it.
Old 01-27-2007, 1:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you have room for ammo in your safe, you need more guns!
Old 01-27-2007, 6:37 AM

I store a couple of full magazines per weapon in my safe. The rest of my ammo is stored elsewhere.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:07 AM

Talking I second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW
I believe that with all me heart, fill up the safe with guns and rifles, and get a second fireproof, bomb proof safe for ammo.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:13 PM
NRA Training Counselor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
BIG +1 My safe isn't big enough to hold all the ammo that I have (in fact its at max capacity with just the guns )

NRA Certified Instructor
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

Smog Inspections in the Sacramento area.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:57 PM

I keep much of my ammo in my safe. I agree with a previous poster that says it gives, "firefighters a bit of peace of mind". If my safe gets hot enough inside during a fire to ignite ammo then the firearms may not be in such good shape anyhow.

My excess ammo (if there is such a thing ) I store in ammo cans in the garage. I wish I had the space and money to buy an additional safe for just ammo. That is a bit of a luxury though.

Also I store .308 140 round battle packs in the bottom of my safe just to make it more impossible for thieves to move the safe.

BTW, since we're on the topic. Never store a laptop or other electronics containing a large battery in a safe. The recent spate of recalled "explosive" laptop batteries made me realize that storing my laptop with my critical personal papers wasn't a good idea.

=vonsmith=

Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch: And the Lord spake, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to 3. No more. No less. 3 shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be 3. 4 shalt thou not count, nor either count thou 2, excepting that thou then proceed to 3. 5 is right out. Once the number 3, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'

Last edited by vonsmith; 01-27-2007 at 1:00 PM..
Old 01-27-2007, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonsmith
BTW, since we're on the topic. Never store a laptop or other electronics containing a large battery in a safe. The recent spate of recalled "explosive" laptop batteries made me realize that storing my laptop with my critical personal papers wasn't a good idea.
Even aside from exploding batteries, most fire proof safes are only fire proof for paper, 350F. That's at least partly because of the hole for a power cord. Solder flows at 360F or so; any electronics in there would be toast (!) and almost certainly non-revivable. Even the disk, especially the disk ... too much critical timing info would be lost, and even if the platters themselves were intact, it would be expen$ive to recover the data.
Old 01-27-2007, 6:23 PM

I store all of my ammo in my safe with my firearms and I always have a fair amount of ammo on hand in .223, .308, .45 ACP, .40 S&W and .357 Magnum. I wish I could afford to fill my safe with firearms but that is just not the case. Hell, I even store a couple of pounds or powder and primers on the bottom shelf of my safe. My safe is the most controlled environment in my house from a temperature swing stand point.
Old 01-27-2007, 6:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAutoSam
I have a separate safe that I keep the ammo that I would use If I need it now and also keep a 24 foot shipping container with the additional ammo.

I would advise keeping ammo in a safe as it might contain it if there was a fire in the area.

At least that is my thought on the matter.
Just curious, how much was the shipping container? Where do you keep the container? That sounds like a great idea I got so much stuff it's overflowing
Old 01-28-2007, 3:13 PM

>>>

Last edited by lonewolf; 12-03-2008 at 2:47 PM..
Old 01-28-2007, 3:40 PM
Banned

I worked container freight in the Los Angeles area in the 80's and early 90's and found out that thru friends that I could purchase shipping containers directly from the shipping companies that used them.

The containers that I used were strictly ocean containers not to be confused with the domestic rail containers that can be only partly steel and are sometimes mfg of steel on the ends and a plastic or a Fiberglas laminated paneling on the sides.

The shipping containers come in 20 foot and 40 foot but there is one company that uses a 24 foot container and those are the ones I used besides the 20's and 40's that I have buried underground.

I have found the 20's for on average 1200.00 and the 40's 1500.00

The 24 foot containers that I found only Matson shipping lines used were in the 1500.00 area as well.
http://www.matson.com/
Here is a matson web cam at their Hawaii terminal.
http://www.matson.com/matnav/ports/gatecam.html?loc=HON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman
Just curious, how much was the shipping container? Where do you keep the container? That sounds like a great idea I got so much stuff it's overflowing
Old 01-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

i would put ammo in the safe especially if you have kids around.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

All ammo is in the usual govt mil ammo cans, much of the good stuff is stacked in those cans inside an older safe I have, and this is in a sealed locked room that has some earthquake shear protection on the walls.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:40 PM

Guns in safe, ammo in ammo cans stacked in the garage. I only have enough ammo inside the house to repel an average home invasion.

Ninja45
Old 02-02-2007, 12:52 PM

Ammo in RSC(residential security container) which is on closet. Guns in safe. Shotshells take too much space. That's why I store them on the floor in the same closet near RSC
Old 02-07-2007, 12:40 PM

definitely away from your firearms, if you have your firearms in the safe, store the ammo in another room, somewhere hidden, esp if you have kids.
Old 02-07-2007, 4:32 PM

Heck, at the rate ammo prices are going up, I'll soon be storing all my ammo in my safe and my guns outside of it.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 02-07-2007, 4:37 PM
Banned

Just do as I did have a safe that will hold about 20-30 cases of ammo.

My ammo safe has a pull out drawer so I can get to everything thats in the safe and don't have to unload the entire safe only to access whats at the back.
Old 02-08-2007, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns3v3n
definitely away from your firearms, if you have your firearms in the safe, store the ammo in another room, somewhere hidden, esp if you have kids.
Why do you say this? I have stored my ammo in the same safe as my firearms for years and never had any problems. My safe is fireproof (understanding that nothing is totally fire proof) so I figure the gun safe would be a logical choice, provided there's room for it. I usually keep a couple thousand rounds of various calibers. I'm asking this because if there is something I should know, I want to know. Thank you!

Have a nice day.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:15 AM

Default temperature for ammunition

What temperature does ammunition ignite? Please have some links to back-up your information.
opinions are just like.....
Old 02-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

IMHO for 2 reasons #1 for the protection of your firearms in the case of a fire. As ammo can go off if the area its in gets hot enough.

and #2 Keep your ammo in its own safe to protect firefighters that would likely be in the vicinity if your house or garage caught fire or was involved in a fire and to protect your ammo from theft.

At least thats my take on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanski56
Why do you say this? I have stored my ammo in the same safe as my firearms for years and never had any problems. My safe is fireproof (understanding that nothing is totally fire proof) so I figure the gun safe would be a logical choice, provided there's room for it. I usually keep a couple thousand rounds of various calibers. I'm asking this because if there is something I should know, I want to know. Thank you!

Have a nice day.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAutoSam
IMHO for 2 reasons #1 for the protection of your firearms in the case of a fire. As ammo can go off if the area its in gets hot enough.

and #2 Keep your ammo in its own safe to protect firefighters that would likely be in the vicinity if your house or garage caught fire or was involved in a fire and to protect your ammo from theft.

At least thats my take on it.
I hear you. Unfortunately, I do not have anywhere to put another safe and I will not store ammo in anything less. I have young children. I know my firearms would be at risk as well as the firefighters. Aside from my children, I store my ammo in my safe for the safety of the firfighters as well. I'm willing to sacrifice my firearms for the safety of the firefighters and everyone else in the general vicinity in the unfortunate event there is a fire. At least the ammo has a fighting chance of not going off since the safe will have to be exposed to heat for at least a little while before the ammo starts cooking off. And, the ammo will have to penetrate the steel of the safe in order to create a bigger tragedy than the fire itself. If I were to simply store my ammo in my garage, it wouldn't take long at all before rounds start popping off during a fire. I'm not willing to do that.

Anyway, just my personal take on it.

Have a nice day.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Calguns Addict

I've read that ammo that goes off outside of a rifle barrel is not very dangerous. The bullet basically pops off and only travels a few inches with very little force, hardly enough to injure anybody. Never verified this for myself though.

I can't store my ammo in the safe because there's barely enough room for the guns in there.