Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-29-2011, 9:38 PM

Default What's causing this AR-15 jam?

I'm having a problem with my AR that causes every round to jam. If I pull back the charging handle and release the bolt, the round will finally chamber. After I fire, the spent casing ejects, then tries to chamber the next round but looks like it hangs up on the feed ramps. It does this on almost every round and with every magazine I own- Magpul, C-products, USGI, Colt, etc.

Instead of firing I just extracted these rounds to show the gouge on each side of the bullet nose. Any ideas how to fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Luvr View Post
I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!
Old 08-29-2011, 9:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

new magazine?
Old 08-29-2011, 9:47 PM
Veteran Member

I had this problem on my AA grendel. The edges of the feed ramps were very sharp (after being machined) and cut into the bullets and brass upon chambering. Yours seems a bit more extreme, as mine almost never failed to feed but it did have the same exact marks.

Using a fine file, smooth off the sharp edges of the feed ramps. It shouldn't take much, just knock down the burrs and smooth it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
And yes, this IS gun school.
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
There is life outside of Calguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

wait wait wait...before you start filing stuff, take some pictures of your feed ramps first and post them.
Old 08-29-2011, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Bit more info.

Factory built upper? or did you build it yourself? what brand barrel?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Tactical Reloader
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
Bit more info.

Factory built upper? or did you build it yourself? what brand barrel?
And how long have you had this AR? Is is a new build or have you owned it for awhile and this just started?

Need Auto Collision repair / Bay Area ? See my thread !!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=476124
Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

I should have specified... only file, IF it's sharp.
I'm not talking about removing a bunch of metal. Just knock down the sharp edges. It won't hurt anything. Just don't get into the inside area of the lugs.

Quote:
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Quote:
stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerTroop View Post
I should have specified... only file, IF it's sharp.
I'm not talking about removing a bunch of metal. Just knock down the sharp edges. It won't hurt anything. Just don't get into the inside area of the lugs.
Yeah, DO NOT start filing on the inside of the barrel extension. Hand cycle the action and see if it knocks down any burs. I would do that before I filed any part of the extension.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:24 PM

Here's some pics of the feed ramps- yeah, they're dirty, but I tried it clean and same problem so I lubed the bolt till it was dripping wet thinking something else was wrong, then shot about 200 rounds.

Quote:
I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

do the marks/gouges on the rounds correlate with the feed ramp openings (do they match up)?

Quote:
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-29-2011, 10:28 PM

is this factory made upper?

Last edited by sniper4usmc; 08-29-2011 at 10:31 PM..
Old 08-29-2011, 10:29 PM

I bought this as an almost new build from a galgunner and started having issues after less than 100 rounds. If the BCG is literally dripping wet I can get maybe 10-25 rounds through it before it starts jamming. With a normal amount of lube it jams with every round. I think when it is super wet it is just smooth enough to force the round in even with the gouges, but otherwise it hangs up.

Quote:
Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerTroop View Post
do the marks/gouges on the rounds correlate with the feed ramp openings (do they match up)?
yes, the line up exactly

Quote:
Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper4usmc View Post
dude...Clean your gas port and chamber
At first I thought it was short stroking so I had the gas port alignment checked and gas tube cleaned a week ago, but same problem occurred afterwards.

Quote:
Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper4usmc View Post
is this factory made upper?
No, it is a JD Machine upper with a Daniel Defense barrel and BCM bolt carrier group.

Quote:
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
yes, the line up exactly
Then I stand by my original assessment. I've been down this road before.

Quote:
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-29-2011, 10:43 PM

can u post a pic of bolt?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Old 08-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Is this your only AR? if you have another rifle, try the bcg from one of your other AR's before filing anything.

Last edited by Colt-45; 08-29-2011 at 11:43 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 5:53 AM

It looks like the barrel extension feedramps have already been knocked down a little. I wouldnt go any further.....this coming from a guy who screwed up his Grendel barrel extension so bad that it wouldnt feed certain bullets.

If you knock it down too much (and it's easy to do with any power tool), it wont prop up the bullet enough to enter the chamber, ergo causing jams.

When the rifle jams, where it it jamming up? Is the bullet tip getting stuck on the flat side of the chamber wall? Is the bullet getting stuck on the feedramp? Is the round not getting extracted from the magazine fully? Does it happen the same on both sides of the feedramp or just the left or right?

Those are REALLY deep teeth marks in the bullets....a feedramp will not do this UNLESS the bullet is not being directed into the chamber. When it jams up next time, take a picture of the jam....get a close up of the position the jam is happening in.
Old 08-30-2011, 9:21 AM
Banned

Had the same issue, feed ramp was the culprit.
Old 08-30-2011, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

from the look of the bullet I'd say it was the feedramps... but looking at the feedramps I can't tell anything wrong with them.

what troubleshooting have you done? tried new magazines? different lower?

having said that... I'd be afraid to shoot my rifle if it was that dirty. yes I shoot a lot - 3-4 times a week... but really, that's DIRTY
Old 08-30-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
It looks like the barrel extension feedramps have already been knocked down a little. I wouldnt go any further.....this coming from a guy who screwed up his Grendel barrel extension so bad that it wouldnt feed certain bullets.

If you knock it down too much (and it's easy to do with any power tool), it wont prop up the bullet enough to enter the chamber, ergo causing jams.

When the rifle jams, where it it jamming up? Is the bullet tip getting stuck on the flat side of the chamber wall? Is the bullet getting stuck on the feedramp? Is the round not getting extracted from the magazine fully? Does it happen the same on both sides of the feedramp or just the left or right?

Those are REALLY deep teeth marks in the bullets....a feedramp will not do this UNLESS the bullet is not being directed into the chamber. When it jams up next time, take a picture of the jam....get a close up of the position the jam is happening in.
+1 ^This
Also the feedramp 101:
Old 08-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

If you can, take a picture of how it jams.
Old 08-30-2011, 8:34 PM

I boosted the brightness and exposure so hopefully you can see well enough. There pics show exactly how the round jams every time.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2011, 8:42 PM

Maybe the 'teeth' or 'key holes' on the feed ramps that allow the bolt face/teeth to pass through have some burrs on them. Sorry... terminology sucks... Looks like it's getting caught there.
Old 08-30-2011, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

Buff that sh*t out... It'll feed.

Don't be scared. Just a light pass or 2 on each of the 4 corners with a fine file, then buff it with some fine sandpaper (wetsand, 400 grit) and you'll be happy with the results

Quote:
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-30-2011, 9:24 PM

Just curious. Does the jamming change with different ammo? Are you using factory ammo? I would say it is hanging up on the feed ramps. Does it hang up regardless of how many rounds are left in the mag? I don't know if the rifle is normally fired when it is as dirty as the photos appear to show, but while people all have different ideas on lubrication, a thorough cleaning and modest lube should precede any test.

- Phil

Last edited by Phil3; 08-30-2011 at 9:26 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 9:28 PM

Have you tried different magazines?
Old 08-30-2011, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Burr on the edges of the feed ramps. Knock them down and you wont have that issue.
Old 08-30-2011, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

for some reason, i think that the buffer spring may be too strong. you have damage to the nose of the bullet, as well as scars on the edges. do you have a collapsable stock, and are using a full buffer, and spring?
Old 08-30-2011, 9:42 PM

I know this may sound odd but do you see any gouges, marks where it is scratching the bullet on the feed ramp?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 PM

Clean it up and retake pics. The way it looks now...bad shape. Pits, gouges and worn? Soak it, rinse it and blow it out with an air hose. Repost.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
for some reason, i think that the buffer spring may be too strong. you have damage to the nose of the bullet, as well as scars on the edges. do you have a collapsable stock, and are using a full buffer, and spring?
Yes, it's a Magpul ACS.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2011, 10:50 PM

i imagine his rifle is so filthy because all the excess lube he uses(giggity). as he previously stated, its the only way to get the rounds chambered
Old 08-30-2011, 10:51 PM

Ok, here's a better view:

Quote:
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poothrowingape View Post
i imagine his rifle is so filthy because all the excess lube he uses(giggity). as he previously stated, its the only way to get the rounds chambered
You are correct. It takes few rounds to get that dirty when lube is just dripping out of the upper. I was trying different lubes before, and some would really hold the carbon and powder residue but would also seemingly run a few rounds longer before jamming. I've tried Tetra grease, Tetra oil, Break Free, and at least 3 more brands without luck. The thicker the lube the quicker it got dirty.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Clean buff polish.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 PM

While I am not an expert, it looks to me like the problem may be that the upper may be extremely overgassed leading to excessive cycling rate. The bullets are shoved back in the cases, and the photos of the jams look like stalls on the ramps, similar to the complaints with early M4s without extended feedramps.

This was caused by the higher cycling rate of the M4 with XM855.

What I would do to confirm that the problem is in the upper is to borrow a known working lower, and attach it to see if the upper will run. If it won't, the problem is definitely in the upper, and I suspect that an inspection of the gas port size might explain the problem.

Last edited by Heretodaygonetomorrow; 08-31-2011 at 10:08 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 1:44 PM

Remove the upper and then remove the bolt from the upper. With your finger, push a bullet into the feedramp. Try to duplicate the angle as if it is being fed from the magazine. The bullet will probably catch on the corners of the feedramp. If this is true, then the fix would be to tune up the corners of the feedramp. Do not touch the ramp, just try to round off the corners slightly until the bullet feeds smoothly. That's my best guess.

This thread caught my attention because I recently built an M4 with a Daniel Defense barrel. I have not had the chance to shoot it yet. I'm going to check the feedramps before I do.

Also, do you normally lube up your bolt and chamber or was this only for troubleshooting purposes. I have shot a lot of rounds through my 20" HBAR and the only lube I have ever used was for cleaning purposes and a drop on the extracter pivot. I would lay off the lube in this area.