Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-28-2011, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Default "Quiet" Pellet Rifle?

Any advice as to a very quiet pellet rifle? I've got a serious varmint problem...foxes...that are coming around and I think are being fed by neighbors because they are very bold and show very little fear of humans. We've lost one cat recently and had another chased into the house last night with 2 foxes on his tail. I need to take care them.
Any recommendations? Looking for something with enough power to drop one with a head shot within 20 yards, and that won't 'upset' the neighbors.
Reasonable cost would help also, maybe under $225 or thereabouts.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 08-28-2011, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

Even the Gamo ''Whisper'' series is pretty loud, speed of the BB and the mechanism inside.

Ever consider a crossbow? There are a few options in your price range through Amazon.

Last edited by V8toytruck; 08-28-2011 at 8:41 AM..
Old 08-28-2011, 8:55 AM

The spring type guns tend to be a little noisy, if you can get your hands on a PCP(compressed air) style gun the noise is drastically reduced

Edit: Just found this while surfing, might fit your bill and they are decent guns.............or used to be have a friend with a really really old one that works quite well.
Old 08-28-2011, 8:58 AM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

My buddy and I did some informal sound tests with a .177 cal Big Cat, a Whisper and a gas piston break barrel.
Whispers seem louder than they are when you are up close.
Step back 20 feet and they only make a clunk sound that does not sound much like a gun.
Honing the inside of the spring tube and greasing the spring cuts the gun noise down quite a bit.
The gas piston guns are fairly quiet and not much louder than a Whisper as they have no spring noise.
I have not used a GP Whisper yet, this is next and should be really quiet.

Whispers are available in .22 cal, the pellets move slower so they are quieter.
Old 08-28-2011, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8toytruck View Post
Even the Gamo ''Whisper'' series is pretty loud, speed of the BB and the mechanism inside.

Ever consider a crossbow? There are a few options in your price range through Amazon.
+1 on a crossbow or a regular bow (although this is much trickier to use properly). I have a gamo whisper, and for any kind of varmint that's bigger than a cat, there seems to be stopping power issues (crows will not die from 1 shot with a gamo).
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 08-28-2011, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Since someone......felt the need to delete my prior post...

Your actions are ILLEGAL/UNLAWFUL within city limits....

...Call Anmial Control.
Old 08-28-2011, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman19 View Post

...Call Anmial Control.
Yeah, Ok, thanks.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

...Call Anmial Control.
The OP lives in Butte County (at least according to the location he put in his profile). Butte County is very sparsely populated and it's my guess he probably doesn't need to worry about local ordinances.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 AM

.22 rifle and CB Longs.
About the same volume as a high power air rifle, but with same/more punch.
Please be sure to comply with all local, state, and federal laws.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

...Call Anmial Control.
http://library.municode.com/index.as...ame=California
Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 AM

got a .22 rifle? Order some Aguila colibri there in a rainbow colored box and make very little noise at all. just make sure the bullet comes out of the barrel as some times they get stuck, cleaning rod will push them out.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:37 AM

I would suggest traps instead of BB guns or bow. Foxes do tend to keep down some other unwanted critters like rats, mice, snakes and so on. Then just relocate them far away from your property. Usually you can rent the traps from animal control for a low price or deposit.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
The OP lives in Butte County (at least according to the location he put in his profile). Butte County is very sparsely populated and it's my guess he probably doesn't need to worry about local ordinances.
I've got neighbors but am out of the city limits. I don't want to upset the peta types, I'll just take them out quietly. I totally understand the fact that they keep down rodents and such but we seem to have an overabundance of the varmints running around here. Like I said, they are getting too bold, there's a neighbor woman down the street that feeds them....not good.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub95 View Post
got a .22 rifle? Order some Aguila colibri there in a rainbow colored box and make very little noise at all. just make sure the bullet comes out of the barrel as some times they get stuck, cleaning rod will push them out.
I'm a big .22LR fan but if the bullets go so slow that sometimes they don't clear the muzzle how fast will they be going and what damage will they do at 10-20 yards?

.22 Whisper Ballistics:
Velocity: 950 feet per second (fps) with PBA, 750 fps with Lead - Max. Energy: 24 Joules -
Quote "The non-removable noise dampener reduces the noise up to 52% from standard spring air rifles! We at Airgun Depot have tested this rifle and it is as quiet as it claims, although the difference is only noticeable to those downrange or to the side of the shooter. To the shooter the noise dampening is not significant because the sound is suppressed and pointed back towards the shooter to lessen the carry".

Here's the new gas piston version...getting rid of the spring noise makes a big difference:
http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-whisper-22.html

I'm not sure how big the foxes are, maybe they are too big for this size airgun.
Of course, there are bigger airguns available.

Maybe smack a few with a good paintball gun first and see if they decide to hunt elsewhere.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 PM

I did some chrony testing on .22-25 cal pellet rifles, first shot is close to what they say but every shot after that the fps drops down alot.

the warning for stuck bullet is because some of the bullets are not sized rite and i found older .22s seem to have a tighter barrel then newer ones, my mp15-22 has never had a stuck one yet. they will do alot of damage at 20' on varmints, they say they are 350fps but when chrony ( set 7 feet out ) they were more like 450-500fps, target set up at 15' HardiePanel, Fiber Cement Siding it would go threw it with no problem and quite.

the Aguila colibri .22 ammo is a 20grain bullet. the Pba are around 10gr for the .22 even the .25 cal is 15 grain and they dont do much damage, they just make a small hole, lost a few none native doves because of that and went back to the hollowpoints which go from 20grains to 26+ grains but the fps is alot slower then Pba, but the non native doves dont get away now. you can have a fast pellet but if it does not do damage what good is it.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

.22 and subsonic ammo. I'd be worried about just wounding the fox with a .177 pellet. Ground squirrels, etc are fine for pellets. Larger animals might require something stouter IMO.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 08-28-2011, 1:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
.22 and subsonic ammo. I'd be worried about just wounding the fox with a .177 pellet. Ground squirrels, etc are fine for pellets. Larger animals might require something stouter IMO.
I'm leaning this way too. I've had pellets, though not in modern pellet rifles, not kill feral cats with a head shot. Foxes really aren't very big, they're mostly tail so look a lot bigger, but definitely larger than a cat.

Old 08-28-2011, 2:39 PM

Bluenorthern if you want to try out some of the Aguila .22s send me a pm and i will send you some to try out.i have two types.

subsonics are not quite at all if you have houses next to you.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Is it legal to put a supressor on a BB or pellet gun?

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNorthern View Post
I've got neighbors but am out of the city limits. I don't want to upset the peta types, I'll just take them out quietly. I totally understand the fact that they keep down rodents and such but we seem to have an overabundance of the varmints running around here. Like I said, they are getting too bold, there's a neighbor woman down the street that feeds them....not good.
Ever consider talking with the neighbor woman that is feeding them? Explain to her that her feeding them is making them accustomed to humans, which is causing them to kill pets, which is causing you and others (or just say others) to have to kill them. Basically explain to her that her feeding them is literally causing their deaths. She might rethink her behavior. Otherwise she is just going to continue feeding other wild animals, and you're right back where you started. (I'm sure she is just using libtard logic thinking she is doing the animals a favor, like giving money to a homeless person and unintentionally depriving them of any drive to get a job)

I'd personally suggest traps + relocate. Any pellet gun that breaks the sound barrier is going to be loud (approx 1080 fps if memory serves, depending on altitude/temp). Any pellet gun that doesn't break the sound barrier is going to be weak.

Last edited by stix213; 08-28-2011 at 10:50 PM..
Old 08-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
No, because if you can put it on, you could take it off and use it on a real gun (that's how their thinking goes).

The Whisper gets exempted because the supressor is part of the barrel.
Also, the supressor has been tested with firearms and the baffles, by design, will break right away.

Edit: Yes, you could put one on a BB or pellet gun but you would have to get the Tax Stamp etc just like a real gun application.

Last edited by ojisan; 08-28-2011 at 11:06 PM..
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 PM

OK....

bought a whisper a few months ago...
I've got a rat problem... and I have close neighbors...the whisper in .22..it's way way quieter than my sheridan and it is flat brutal on rats with the standard diablo waisted flat point pellets...I've got some of the gamo light weight ones.. too but like shooting rats with the flat point...incredible how quick they go to rat hereafter...way quick and no running off either...and way quiet when you step away from it..the spring noise, being your head is on the stock..is much louder than a bystander hears.. but the wack... when it hits something is pronounced...

with the gamo light pellets it will punch through my fence boards (I have a few extra's so shot one just to be sure) 1x4x6 redwood...so be careful
Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett
Old 08-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

NSFW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5FqeatJmxM
Old 08-28-2011, 11:26 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Look into one of these http://www.marauderairrifle.com/ . It is charged by scuba tank or hand pump. I have one. It is quite powerful and very quiet. The "shroud" is even baffled like a suppressor should be. It is legal as the rifle cannot be used without the shroud on it and you cannot use the shroud on anything else, readily. If you adapted it that would be illegal.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
+1 on a crossbow or a regular bow (although this is much trickier to use properly). I have a gamo whisper, and for any kind of varmint that's bigger than a cat, there seems to be stopping power issues (crows will not die from 1 shot with a gamo).
another + on a small Xbow.

BB gun-wise, I was initially going to suggest just a Crossman pump master because it's report is directly related to how many times you pump it.

These work well in suburbia. I bought myself a Crossman Pumpmaster when i was 16. Parents hated it.

Im approaching 30 now, and my dad couldn't live without my old bb gun; he uses it to protect his veggie garden from racoons :lol: Its great bc he's always been an "anti" - so it shut him up real good to find and use 'a gun' for a positive purpose : plinking at racoons that are scarfing up his tomatoes and zuccini

not entirely legal for him so I do not advocate anyone else repeating his behavior within suburban settings
Old 08-29-2011, 4:03 PM
Veteran Member

Crossbow for the win!

Sorcery for sale - Any Hex or Any potion.. Fees vary but on average, sex with your women, $475 cash, a pig and bag of rice.
Old 08-29-2011, 8:03 PM

Use the 60 grn 22 s. They will drop coyotes all day long and they are very quite.
As far as people saying "trap and re-locate" , that is illegal and terrible for the animal and the next environment it is introduced into. Relocated animals have a hard time surviving and carry their area specific diseases to the new area and can damage a local population quickly.
If a raccoon can come back from sixteen miles, imagine what a fox will do.
Old 08-29-2011, 8:04 PM

Might be best to trap and then put one in them.
Old 08-29-2011, 8:09 PM

If you use crossbow make sure you put critter down, If he runs off with your bolt in him, authorities will be looking for scoundrel who shot him. I believe bolts are serial numbered.
Old 08-30-2011, 1:04 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A. View Post
If you use crossbow make sure you put critter down, If he runs off with your bolt in him, authorities will be looking for scoundrel who shot him. I believe bolts are serial numbered.
Learn from Jaws.

Crossbow + bolt + paracord = tie some buoys to em
Old 08-30-2011, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Try 22 Aguilar Colibri or if you must go airgun, Benginmen Sheridan makes the best air rifle I cant think of. Its a pump and you can pump as many time as you wish for adjustability in velocity.
Old 08-30-2011, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

MAC-1 Airguns makes custom CO2 silhouette pistols which have a similar permanent suppressor on the end like the Whisper rifles. Difference is, their silhouette pistols are .22 cal, lower velocity, and very quiet.

-Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
Take note that a BB or pellet gun is NOT a firearm (it's called an airgun/air rifle for a reason), so gun laws, esp. regarding suppressors, etc. do NOT apply to bb/pellet guns.

In CA, some city and county ordinances ban the discharge of bb/pellet guns and even bows and crossbows, and airsoft guns AND paintball guns the same as if it were a real gun, so thread carefully, know your local laws.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
Old 08-30-2011, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
Take note that a BB or pellet gun is NOT a firearm (it's called an airgun/air rifle for a reason), so gun laws, esp. regarding suppressors, etc. do NOT apply to bb/pellet guns.
The BATFE has ruled that any suppressor/sound moderator that is removeable from a BB/air gun that could be used in an actual firearm is considered a Class 3 item and therefore requires a tax stamp.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:17 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
The BATFE has ruled that any suppressor/sound moderator that is removeable from a BB/air gun that could be used in an actual firearm is considered a Class 3 item and therefore requires a tax stamp.
^^ this

There are several articles and updates written by Robert Beeman in regards to silencers on airguns. I strongly recommend that you do your research if you’re inclined to belive that firearms laws do not apply.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Which is precisely why ALL air gun suppressors I've ever seen are permanently attached, usually by welding.

-Dave
Old 09-01-2011, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
I didn't know that snippet, thanks for clarification. Don't want to thread that risk. +1 on perma-attachment of a silencer on an air rifle. Good to cover your rear.
Quote:
Old 09-01-2011, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Regarding the permanence of attachment, I know welding is the superior solution but what do you think about countersinking a setscrew and epoxying over it? If there is no way to remove it from the air rifle without destroying the suppressor, does that count as permanent?

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 09-01-2011, 9:02 PM

Aquila Colibris accuracy is questionable. What you gain in supression, you lose in accuracy.

+1 on the gamo .22 whisper. Predator polymag pellets will get you one shot head and vitals kills all day. I have the big cat in .177 with these pellets, destroys squirrels and just blows up rats. Its just silly, man...
Old 09-01-2011, 9:33 PM

Problem solved
tranqulizer dart gun