Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-26-2011, 5:27 PM

Default NRA & CRPA FOUNDATION FILE LAWSUIT CHALLENGING FIREARM SALES “FEES”

August 26, 2011 – Attorneys for the National Rifle Association (NRA), California Rifle & Pistol Association Foundation (CRPA Foundation), Herb Bauer’s Sporting Goods, and individual Fresno residents and firearm owners have filed a lawsuit challenging the “fees” the California Department of Justice (“DOJ”) imposes on firearm purchasers. The lawsuit, Bauer v. Harris, filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California (Fresno), alleges that the excessive “fees” being charged by DOJ to purchase a gun create an unconstitutional infringement on the exercise of rights protected under the Second Amendment.

A copy of the complaint is viewable at www.calgunlaws.com

Over the years the fees imposed on firearms purchasers have gone up dramatically, despite the fact that technological advances have caused the cost of doing background checks on gun purchasers to go down. A multi-million dollar surplus has built up. But rather than reduce the fees, the state has instead sought to continually expand the programs that the money can be used for. The lawsuit alleges that the DOJ illegally uses the revenues from the mandatory “fees” for general law enforcement activities that are completely unrelated to the valid regulation of lawful firearm purchases, and that DOJ is illegally overcharging gun buyers. In doing so, DOJ places an unconstitutional precondition on the exercise of fundamental Second Amendment rights in California. Essentially, the state is unconstitutionally funding general police work unrelated to lawful firearm purchases off the backs of law abiding gun owners.

The lawsuit also alleges that DOJ’s imposition of the fees are not really “fees” at all under California law, but are actually disguised taxes that are invalid and unenforceable since they were not adopted by the Legislature by a 2/3rds vote. Plaintiffs are asking that the statutes authorizing the “taxes” be declared void.

The suit was prompted in part by pending Senate Bill 819 (Leno), which seeks to add yet another program that can be funded by the gun purchase fees to the already long list of programs being funded by fees imposed on gun buyers. Specifically, SB 819 would allow for funds from these “fees” to finance regulation of the “possession” of firearms, meaning prosecution of all gun possession crimes could be subsidized by law-abiding gun owners. If SB 819 becomes law, that would strengthen Plaintiffs’ lawsuit by making it even more obvious that the DROS “fees” violate the Second Amendment, and are actually illegal “taxes” under California law.

The lawsuit is being funded by the NRA / CRPA Foundation Legal Action Project (LAP). LAP is a joint venture between the Nation Rifle Association (NRA) and the California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA) to advance the rights of firearms owners in California. Through LAP, NRA/CRPA attorneys fight against ill-conceived gun control laws and ordinances, and educate state and local officials about available programs that are effective in reducing accidents and violence without infringing on the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

To see a partial list of the Legal Action Project’s recent accomplishments, visicst www.crpafoundation.org To contribute to the NRA / CRPAF Legal Action Project (LAP) and support this and similar Second Amendment cases, visit www.crpafoundation.org or www.nraila.org. Please register at www.calgunlaws.com to receive updates on this and other litigation as it is made available.

Last edited by sbrady@Michel&Associates; 08-26-2011 at 5:29 PM..
Old 08-26-2011, 5:31 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Kudos to y'all. Go get them!

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 08-26-2011, 5:38 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Old 08-26-2011, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

Wow Herb Bauer!
Old 08-26-2011, 5:50 PM

Hallelujah !!
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 08-26-2011, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Awesome!

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 08-26-2011, 5:52 PM
Calguns Addict

fantastic news! Nice to see my hard earned dollars that I give to NRA and CRPA at work. Thank you very much!

Shop at AMAZON to help Calguns Foundation

CRPA Life Member. Click here to Join.

NRA Member JOIN HERE/
Old 08-26-2011, 5:56 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Nice. Git 'em.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 08-26-2011, 5:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Outstanding news. A great way to take it to those who are penalizing citizens for daring to exercise their rights.
Old 08-26-2011, 6:03 PM

Love it!

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 08-26-2011, 6:06 PM

Outstanding. The tax required to transfer a gun is ridiculous. It seems like this case could complement the Kwong suit in NY. They charge $340 there.

NRA Member / CRPA Member / SAF Member / San Diego CCW Sponsor
Old 08-26-2011, 6:07 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

If DROS fees were found to be an illegal tax, would that mean they need to be refunded? Would they just stop charging new fees from then on? Or is this something specifically up to the judge to decide how to proceed?
Old 08-26-2011, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

This is FANTASTIC!

I hope they challenge the BOE requirement of CA FFLs to collect CA sales tax on out of state transfers. I think this is total BS!
Old 08-26-2011, 6:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Very good............
Old 08-26-2011, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrady@Michel&Associates View Post
The lawsuit also alleges that DOJ’s imposition of the fees are not really “fees” at all under California law, but are actually disguised taxes that are invalid and unenforceable since they were not adopted by the Legislature by a 2/3rds vote. Plaintiffs are asking that the statutes authorizing the “taxes” be declared void.
Sweet... more of this. This strategy might be effective on the recycling 'fee' when you purchase televisions, laptops and monitors as well- unless that was actually called a tax and passed by 2/3rds vote...

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-26-2011, 6:30 PM

Awesome! Great work. So do I get all of the money I paid into DROS back when we win?
Old 08-26-2011, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Man, I can't imagine how much money this will cause the state to loose if it goes thru. I gotta say though, I'm happy this is finally happening.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 08-26-2011, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

So if they really are found to be illegal fees then can I get reimbursed for all the guns I had to DROS while I lived in CA?

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 08-26-2011, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychGuy274 View Post
So if they really are found to be illegal fees then can I get reimbursed for all the guns I had to DROS while I lived in CA?
Probably not. The state would probably stop collecting, grudgingly, but it'll never *give* back money.

That's like asking the mob collection man for your money back..
Old 08-26-2011, 8:17 PM
Don't Tread On My Lawn

Angry

I feel like I may be a member of a class.
Old 08-26-2011, 8:21 PM

If they gave money back it would be like a "settlement", which is not being asked for...just STOP collecting of fees that are not spent wisely for gun safety or any related issues.; it would just make the collection of those fees null & void. They could still justify SOME fee; maybe closer 1 or 2 per cent of the transaction BEFORE state tax??
Old 08-26-2011, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict

There goes the NRA not doing anything for Californians again.
Old 08-26-2011, 9:00 PM

two thumbs way up!
Old 08-26-2011, 9:02 PM
Very Nice Honey Badger

Sweet, sweet, sweet!

Thanks CRPA & NRA! Here's comes a few more pesos!

DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

No, no, that would be cruel.
Old 08-26-2011, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
There goes the NRA not doing anything for Californians again.
those lazy guys over at the NRA just ignore CA you'd think they'd do something with all the money we send them but instead they treat us like mushrooms keep us in the dark and feed us full of ....

I've often wondered why we couldnt take the DROS system and fees on
Old 08-26-2011, 9:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladain View Post
Probably not. The state would probably stop collecting, grudgingly, but it'll never *give* back money.

That's like asking the mob collection man for your money back..

The mob guy is more dependable/trustworthy than CA DOJ & legislature
Old 08-26-2011, 9:28 PM

Well jokes on CA where I do my absolute best to always purchase on amazon and avoid p***ing my hard earned money into the CA sales tax coffers to buy illegals their chocolate milk at school.
Yellowfin: The 2A in its true intent of what it protects can be summed up in one word: parity. Self defense means self defense from ANYTHING, and parity is being on level playing field with whatever threat may be.
Old 08-26-2011, 9:38 PM

Great news!
Old 08-26-2011, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctex99 View Post
They could still justify SOME fee; maybe closer 1 or 2 per cent of the transaction BEFORE state tax??
Unless it costs more to do a background check on a guy buying a $1000 gun than a check on the guy buying a $200 gun basing the fee on gun cost is illogical and probably illegal.

Database searches are so cheap. At $.03 per look up or some such even checking 30 criminal/civil databases should be less than $1 fee for a background check.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 PM

Oh, now you're hittin' 'em where it hurts...

...the revenue stream!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
I feel like I may be a member of a class.
A class that may bring a certain action? It'd be funny to watch, hell I might even join in, but its not likely to go far since the fees would have been presumed to be lawful up until being struck down. I doubt we'd ever get a retroactive settlement. Even if we could, since the money has already been spent, the harm it would do to our state would be bad enough that it would hurt us as the class bringing the action anyway. That would basically cancel the effect out, the tax payers suing to collect and then paying for the damages as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddestruel View Post
I've often wondered why we couldnt take the DROS system and fees on
Until recently they were charging us for a privilege, since McDonald they are charging us for a right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Unless it costs more to do a background check on a guy buying a $1000 gun than a check on the guy buying a $200 gun basing the fee on gun cost is illogical and probably illegal.

Database searches are so cheap. At $.03 per look up or some such even checking 30 criminal/civil databases should be less than $1 fee for a background check.
THIS! Think about the bandwidth that we all use up viewing live video streams, downloading photos, surfing forums, sending emails, etc. Even if your not a technologically savvy person, you've got a decent understanding that a simple text based query like a background check doesn't cost much at all.

-Brandon
Old 08-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Shall Not Be Infringed!

Very nice.
Old 08-27-2011, 1:08 AM

Very nice. Don't you guys ever sleep?
Old 08-27-2011, 1:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Love it.
Old 08-27-2011, 2:16 AM

What I want to know is why can every other state make a phone call for the background check and be done in less than 5 minutes?

What does CA have making this process unable to work?

*Not valid in: CA, HI, NYC, NJ, DC. May vary by location.

Last edited by mrrsquared79; 08-27-2011 at 2:18 AM..
Old 08-27-2011, 3:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsquared79 View Post
What I want to know is why can every other state make a phone call for the background check and be done in less than 5 minutes?

What does CA have making this process unable to work?
Umm, the DROS fee and 10 day wait. There is nothing stopping FFL's in CA from being able to do the same thing as every other state, except stupid CA laws and bureaucratic nonsense.
Old 08-27-2011, 4:06 AM

Awesome!
Old 08-27-2011, 5:20 AM
Calguns Addict

OMG! As a connoisseur of "Saturday Night Special"/"Junk Guns", this is music to my ears.

When the DROS fees are worth more than the gun is to most people, it becomes pretty pricey to get them.
The handgun roster makes it hard enough!

Thanks for tackling this. If you guys win this, I am willing to say it will be the biggest win yet for California gun owners. Easily.

Also, it might create some more nice case law on fees=illegal taxes. Which, as a fiscal conservative, I also appreciate.
Two birds with one stone in my opinion!
Old 08-27-2011, 6:14 AM

Outstanding!, my only question is, how long is this going to take? some of us, whom are subjects in the DPRK, are not young anymore. I would like to see some wins in these cases before I expire and the DPRK confiscates most of my estate in taxes.
Old 08-27-2011, 6:24 AM

Interesting.
MD charges $10 to process the paperwork for handguns and black rifles, but many dealers will add $5-10 for their own benefit. I put the gun down and walk out as soon as they say "Plus $20 for the state fee."