Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 08-26-2011, 5:18 PM

Default Can 17 year old go to the shooting range alone and rent a handgun or rifle?

Or does it depend on the range? I'm planning to go to the Elk Grove Gunroom shooting range. I've been there before with my sister and her husband and rented a handgun(they're both over 21). I didn't ask if I could go there alone and rent a gun. But in their website, it didn't say anything about age. Should I call and confirm? I also have a valid CA Driver License if that helps.
Old 08-26-2011, 5:25 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

I don't think so, you cannot legally sign a waiver.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 08-26-2011, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

i don't think so. it might depend on the county and the laws pertaining to that area. some places due to insurance liabilities don't allow ppl to rent guns alone. in east LA you need to be 21 to buy ammo at a indoor range.
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."

Old 08-26-2011, 6:40 PM

Nope, you need to be 18 to rent a rifle and 21 for a handgun. Well, that's how it has always been for me. What's most ridiculous is the fact that I can reload my own 9mm, but in case I forget some, or run out, I cant get any. Being 20 sucks.
Old 08-26-2011, 6:43 PM

nope, even if you were say 21...most ranges wont rent guns to some one that is there alone to help prevent suicides
Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montu View Post
nope, even if you were say 21...most ranges wont rent guns to some one that is there alone to help prevent suicides
ding ding ding winner
Old 08-27-2011, 6:36 PM

Quote:
what about that one lady who took her son to an indoor range and shot her son in the back of the head while he was shooting then took her own life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vPnMbLr5nc

If guns are outlawed, then an outlaw I'll be...
WHEN YOU COME FOR MINE, BRING YOURS!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

ammo donations accepted here!
Old 08-27-2011, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
I don't think so, you cannot legally sign a waiver.

Quote:
i think both of these answers combined is the correct answer.

If guns are outlawed, then an outlaw I'll be...
WHEN YOU COME FOR MINE, BRING YOURS!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

ammo donations accepted here!
Old 08-27-2011, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret.asian.man View Post
what about that one lady who took her son to an indoor range and shot her son in the back of the head while he was shooting then took her own life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vPnMbLr5nc
yea I've seen that...i didn't say how effective it is..but it is their policy...
still don't get why they had 2 rental guns at the same time....
Old 08-27-2011, 6:56 PM
Veteran Member

I'll take you

Wait what?
Old 08-28-2011, 6:33 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphalj757 View Post
Or does it depend on the range? I'm planning to go to the Elk Grove Gunroom shooting range. I've been there before with my sister and her husband and rented a handgun(they're both over 21). I didn't ask if I could go there alone and rent a gun. But in their website, it didn't say anything about age. Should I call and confirm? I also have a valid CA Driver License if that helps.
As a minor (person under 18), you can not legally possess a handgun or ammunition for a handgun, unless you are with your parents/legal guardians and/or possess a written permission slip allowing you to possess a handgun/ammunition from your parents/legal guardians. [PC 12101]

Therefore, a shooting range will not rent you a handgun or sell you any handgun ammunition, unless your parents/legal guardians are with you or you are with a responsible adult with a written permission slip from your parents/legal guardian.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 08-28-2011 at 6:36 AM..
Old 09-15-2011, 2:11 PM

At my local range, OC Indoor Range, you have to be a member to go alone which I am a member. If you are not a member then you have to have someone with you. They don't have to shoot but just need to be with you. That rule applies to everyone no matter the age.

I'm not sure on the age limit at that particular range but im sure it's 18 for rifles and 21 for handguns.
Old 09-15-2011, 2:50 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quiet pegged it. you must be 21 to buy a handgun and 18 to by a long gun. That is where some of the confusion comes in to play.

Most ranges will not rent you any firearm without your parent being present. They could certainly allow a permission slip, but I have never been to one that does.

Remember that ranges are private businesses and can make whatever rules they feel comfortable with as long as, at the minimum, they meet local, state and federal law.

Call them and ask them if they would accept a permission slip signed by your parent. You never know. Also, most ranges make you sign a liability waiver. They will most likely ask that you have a parent sign that for you as well.

Better yet, take a parent with you and have fun shooting together!
Old 09-15-2011, 2:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Back in about 1994 or 1995 I got my mom to sign a waiver and I would go to the range with a friend who had borrowed a 1911 from a friend.

I think that was before I turned 18 and I'm pretty sure we bought handgun ammo right there.

Things have changed since then but that is how it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
...and having shot at The Gun Room's range many times, I can tell you that their rental policy is the very common "bring a friend or your own gun." If you show up alone without your own firearm, they WILL NOT let you rent a gun, even if you are 40. Evidently renting a gun is a better way to off yourself than buying one or using one of the many bridges in NorCal?

Last time I was there, I turned in a rented Glock and the poor guy behind the counter didn't realize there were three pistols in my messenger bag (a great way to carry in the summer for LTC folks, btw!). He got very, very worried that his co-worker had rented me a gun when I'd come in alone without a gun of my own.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

on a slight side note, does anyone else hate shooting anywhere near a group of newbies (especially groups without a knowledgeable shooter)?

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2011, 3:27 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinoro2007 View Post
on a slight side note, does anyone else hate shooting anywhere near a group of newbies (especially groups without a knowledgeable shooter)?
Not as much as I hate shooting to a know-it-all long time shooter that has the sense God gave a turnip when it come to firearm safety.

At least a noob MAY listen to polite suggestions relating to safety.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
Not as much as I hate shooting to a know-it-all long time shooter that has the sense God gave a turnip when it come to firearm safety.

At least a noob MAY listen to polite suggestions relating to safety.
true very true. I just get a little weary of having a guy (trying to impress his girl) and then the girl, muzzle sweep me every 5 minutes. It happens way too often. If its bad enough sometimes I pack up and leave if there is no room to move to another lane easily. I meet some great people at the range, but I also have met the know it alls without sense. Happy shooting, and be safe.

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 6:48 PM
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor

No because you are 17, and cant sign the waivers. also, they wont rent u a handgun without a buddy there to guarantee that your of sound mind and what not.
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Old 09-27-2011, 9:15 AM

You'll also need to own a gun before renting in many cases. Which again you need to be at least 18 to buy or own a rifle and 21 with HSC to buy and own a pistol. You can't rent without bringing in your own firearm and most require collateral like car/house keys etc. I have never came across a range in my area that doesn't have that requirement.

And I don't know about siblings thing, but every disclosure I've had to sign to bring my daughters in never mentioned anything about just an adult being able to sign off that liability form. In details I've scene these forms to permit a minor to shoot in the range needs to be signed by their mother or father not including guardian.

Last edited by glock 357; 09-27-2011 at 9:18 AM..