Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Default What is a CA FFL required to display or post?

What is a CA FFL required to display or post?
More research of old posts (both FFL and General forum) and ATF and CA DOJ references. I include license copies and signs.
As you guys advised in other posts, I also ordered signs and some basic forms from Jennie: http://www.rkffl.com/

I still would like to document the requirements for the postings and make a short list
Here is what I found.
Seven postings seem to be required.

Two postings seem to be required, but I am unable to find an ATF or CA DOJ reference.
Does the ATF or CA DOJ require posting of the business license?
Does ATF require posting of Publication 3317.2 (Pages 27-28)?

Did I miss one?
Required Signs

1) ATF FFL License
2) ATF Juvenile Handgun Possession Sign
3) CA DOJ Warning about U18, hand wash, and 30 days
4) CA DOJ Government fees and FFL fees
5) Municipality or County Business License
6) ATF Publication 3317.2 (Pages 27-28)

7) CA BOE Reseller's Permit

ATF
Requirement: Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2005
Title 27 CFR Chapter II
Part 478 Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition
Subpart F—Conduct of Business
478.91 Posting of license.
Any license issued under this part shall be kept posted and kept available for inspection on the premises covered by the license.

ATF
Requirement: Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2005
Title 27 CFR Chapter II
Part 478 Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition
Subpart F—Conduct of Business
Posting of signs and written notification to purchasers of handguns.
aka “Juvenile Handgun Possession Sign”
(a) Each licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector who delivers a handgun to a non-licensee shall provide such non-licensee with written notification as described in paragraph (b) of this section.
(b) The written notification (ATF I 5300.2) required by paragraph (a) of this section shall state as follows:
(1) The misuse of handguns is a leading contributor to juvenile violence and fatalities.
(2) Safely storing and securing firearms away from children will help prevent the unlawful possession of handguns by juveniles, stop accidents, and save lives.
(3) Federal law prohibits, except in certain limited circumstances, anyone under 18 years of age from knowingly possessing a handgun, or any person from transferring a handgun to a person under 18.
(4) A knowing violation of the prohibition against selling, delivering, or otherwise transferring a handgun to a person under the age of 18 is, under certain circumstances, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

CALIFORNIA DOJ
Requirement: 2008 Dangerous Weapons Control Law. ARTICLE 4. LICENSES TO SELL FIREARMS
12071. (a)(7)
The licensee shall post conspicuously within the licensed premises the following warnings in block letters not less than one inch in height:
(A) "IF YOU KEEP A LOADED FIREARM WITHIN ANY PREMISES UNDER YOUR CUSTODY OR CONTROL, AND A PERSON UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE OBTAINS IT AND USES IT, RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH, OR CARRIES IT TO A PUBLIC PLACE, YOU MAY BE GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR OR A FELONY UNLESS YOU STORED THE FIREARM IN A LOCKED CONTAINER OR LOCKED THE FIREARM WITH A LOCKING DEVICE TO KEEP IT FROM TEMPORARILY FUNCTIONING."
(B) "IF YOU KEEP A PISTOL, REVOLVER, OR OTHER FIREARM CAPABLE OF BEING CONCEALED UPON THE PERSON, WITHIN ANY PREMISES UNDER YOUR CUSTODY OR CONTROL, AND A PERSON UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE GAINS ACCESS TO THE FIREARM, AND CARRIES IT OFF PREMISES, YOU MAY BE GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR, UNLESS YOU STORED THE FIREARM IN A LOCKED CONTAINER, OR LOCKED THE FIREARM WITH A LOCKING DEVICE, TO KEEP IT FROM TEMPORARILY FUNCTIONING."
(C) "IF YOU KEEP ANY FIREARM WITHIN ANY PREMISES UNDER YOUR CUSTODY OR CONTROL, AND A PERSON UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE GAINS ACCESS TO THE FIREARM, AND CARRIES IT OFF-PREMISES TO A SCHOOL OR SCHOOL-SPONSORED EVENT, YOU MAY BE GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR, INCLUDING A FINE OF UP TO FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS ($5,000), UNLESS YOU STORED THE FIREARM IN A LOCKED CONTAINER, OR LOCKED THE FIREARM WITH A LOCKING DEVICE."
(D) "DISCHARGING FIREARMS IN POORLY VENTILATED AREAS, CLEANING FIREARMS, OR HANDLING AMMUNITION MAY RESULT IN EXPOSURE TO LEAD, A SUBSTANCE KNOWN TO CAUSE BIRTH DEFECTS, REPRODUCTIVE HARM, AND OTHER SERIOUS PHYSICAL INJURY. HAVE ADEQUATE VENTILATION AT ALL TIMES. WASH HANDS THOROUGHLY AFTER EXPOSURE."
(E) "FEDERAL REGULATIONS PROVIDE THAT IF YOU DO NOT TAKE PHYSICAL POSSESSION OF THE FIREARM THAT YOU ARE ACQUIRING OWNERSHIP OF WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER YOU COMPLETE THE INITIAL BACKGROUND CHECK PAPERWORK, THEN YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE BACKGROUND CHECK PROCESS A SECOND TIME IN ORDER TO TAKE PHYSICAL POSSESSION OF THAT FIREARM."
(F) "NO PERSON SHALL MAKE AN APPLICATION TO PURCHASE MORE THAN ONE PISTOL, REVOLVER, OR OTHER FIREARM CAPABLE OF BEING CONCEALED UPON THE PERSON WITHIN ANY 30-DAY PERIOD AND NO DELIVERY SHALL BE MADE TO ANY PERSON WHO HAS MADE AN APPLICATION TO PURCHASE MORE THAN ONE PISTOL, REVOLVER, OR OTHER FIREARM CAPABLE OF BEING CONCEALED UPON THE PERSON WITHIN ANY 30-DAY PERIOD."

CALIFORNIA DOJ
Requirement: 2008 Dangerous Weapons Control Law. ARTICLE 4. LICENSES TO SELL FIREARMS
12071. (a)(11)
The licensee shall post conspicuously within the licensed premises a detailed list of each of the following:
(A) All charges required by governmental agencies for processing firearm transfers required by Sections 12076, 12082, and 12806.
(B) All fees that the licensee charges pursuant to Sections 12082 and 12806.

Municipality or County
Requirement: In virtually all localities, a business license must be posted for public display.
Post Copy of Business License

ATF
Requirement: ?
Publication 3317.2 (Pages 27-28)
Safety and Security Information for Federal Firearms Licensees
http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-3317-2.pdf

CA BOE
Requirement: Written at the top and bottom of permit.
TOP: "Display Conspicuously at Place of Business for Which Issued"
BOTTOM: "Please post this permit at the address for which is was issued and at a location visible to your customer."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Theft of Firearm Warning.pdf (377.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf Theft of Firearm Warning 2.pdf (54.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by mcgill; 08-26-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I ordered the signs from RKFFL as well.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Doesn't the BOE require that you post the Seller's Permit also?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:44 AM

delete

Last edited by LG FIREARMS; 09-15-2013 at 8:59 PM..
Old 08-26-2011, 12:44 PM

Thanks!
Added BOE to list

Do you guys also post the tax rate for your local?

Can anyone confirm if ATF or CA DOJ have documented the requirement for these two items?

a) Does the ATF or CA DOJ require posting of the business license?
I know the city requires this, but does ATF or DOJ?

b) Does ATF require posting of Publication 3317.2 (Pages 27-28)?
I can't seem to find where it actually says its required.

Do I have to post my hours?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:54 PM

delete

Last edited by LG FIREARMS; 09-15-2013 at 8:59 PM..