Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-18-2007, 6:54 PM

Default lee pro 1000 help

Greetings all,

Keep in mind I am new to reloading. I have a pro 1000 set up with 45acp, and was depriming/sizing some cases and the damn shell plate carrier got stuck in up position. I pull the arm down and the ram goes down but the shell plate carrier stays up. I had to take that die out and the shell plate carrer came down, basically every other case I try to do this happens. (I know I should have bought a dillon, flame on.) Is my decapping die seated to far down? They are carbide dies, do I need lube? I'm assuming its something I am doing. Please Help.

-Robert

Last edited by rawb; 01-18-2007 at 6:58 PM..
Old 01-18-2007, 9:37 PM

Cool You will learn the hard way, same as me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawb
Greetings all,

Keep in mind I am new to reloading. I have a pro 1000 set up with 45acp, and was depriming/sizing some cases and the damn shell plate carrier got stuck in up position. I pull the arm down and the ram goes down but the shell plate carrier stays up. I had to take that die out and the shell plate carrer came down, basically every other case I try to do this happens. (I know I should have bought a dillon, flame on.) Is my decapping die seated to far down? They are carbide dies, do I need lube? I'm assuming its something I am doing. Please Help.

-Robert
Robert PM me if you need more help,Russ

Robert I lube every case I size. I actually bought the same set up you have. First thing that broke was the primer because it's plastic, or was. So now I use the press like a singe stage press. I also use an rcbs hand primer so I can make sure the primers aren't to high. You will see. You will see that the powder drop doesn't work just right. so you will eventually go out and buy a pact or RCBS digital powder scale and matching powder machine. I've learned that all my dies and all my reloading stuff needs tobe RCBS. I use my progressive lee press as a single stage. It works better for me. You will see.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne

Last edited by Gunsrruss; 01-18-2007 at 9:42 PM..
Old 01-18-2007, 10:25 PM

Here's a real easy way to lube cases...

I use Dillon case lube pump spray (which is lanolin and alcohol). Spray a few pumps in a zip lock baggie, dump in your brass and shake and roll a few seconds till you see a light amount migrated in the case mouth. The longer you shake the farther in goes in, and I can stop at about 1/8" every time.

You get perfect lubed cases fast every time. I've never had one stuck case from sizing, or case forming.

I really like LEE dies, and their awesome factory crimp also...
Old 01-18-2007, 10:47 PM

OK, you might not like my answer, dump that POS and buy a Dillon. You won't regret it. You can keep your dies and just buy the 550 or the 650 and you won't have to worry about blowing up primers or having stuff bind on you.

I had a lee 1000, I speak from experience. The Dillon 650 was the best thing I've ever bought.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Pistol brass does NOT need to be lubed when you use carbide dies
Maybe there's a burr inside the die Try another decapping die and see what happens.

No flame intended here, Heck MY 1st progressive was a Lee 1000. However...
They just aren't worth the headache all sorts of things just seem to break down on these. They had some innovative ideas but then they made them so cheaply that theyjust broke down after a very short period
Chalk this one up to experience
Old 01-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Only 3 things I can think of without pictures and more details.
1. It is not a carbide sizer (look for the ring at the bottom of the inside of the die.) Carbide dies do not require you to lube the case.
2. The top plate that holds the dies, which rotates, isn't aligned properly.
3. You have a defective sizer.
Old 01-19-2007, 6:15 AM

Thanks Everyone,
I think I'll pull the decapping pin out first and see if I still have this prob. If not I was thinking about coloring a case black with a marker, and sizing it to see where its binding if that the problem. If all else fails I'll go buy a new die, I guess. Then wait till tax returns and buy a 550.
If I cant get it sorted out, I'll post some pics up.

Thanks Again
Old 01-19-2007, 6:33 AM

I have had this happen to me when I changed carriers but didn't tighten the allen screw down enough (hold the carrier to the ram).
I have been using the lee 1000 for years and like it. I hand prime the cases before loading, didn't like the primer on the 1000. I haven't ever lubed with carbide dies, and the 45 acp is my favorite to load. People keep telling me to get a Dillon, but when I accumulate that much money, I buy a gun instead

Chris
Old 01-19-2007, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccampbell
People keep telling me to get a Dillon, but when I accumulate that much money, I buy a gun instead

Chris
Same here Next time, I'm gonna force myself to buy the Dillon though.

I've never lubed my 45 cases. When the plate carrier on my lee gets stuck like this, it means I need to clean something. At that point, I break it completely down, clean everything and lube. It starts working like new again.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccampbell
I have had this happen to me when I changed carriers but didn't tighten the allen screw down enough (hold the carrier to the ram)...

ccampbell said the best. If your press is new and you did not tighten that allen screw on the carrier to the ram, your entire carrier will remain at up position. Get an allen wrench and twist it real tight, your problem most likely will be solved. Happen to me first time as well Lee just didn't tight everything when they ship the press.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:01 AM

Well thats good news,
Soon as I get a chance I'll check that out.
Starting a bullseye pistol league tonight, I'M EXCITED.

Thanks all. I'll check that allen, that would make perfect sense. And I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:33 PM

Thanks guys,
I needed to tighten the black allen like you both said. Simple and plain.