Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 05-09-2016, 6:03 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)
Default Why You Aren't a Better Shooter

Great article by Melody Lauer:
CLICK HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excerpt
Everyone wants to be a better shooter. Even the best competitors, sportsmen, and tacticians push themselves to new and better skill. But what happens if you get stuck? What if you go to the range week after week and donít seem to be improving? What if you arenít sure your skills are where they need to be? What is a good accuracy standard?
Also contains some interesting work (and a chart) by John Hearne, regarding how to determine where you might be in the grand scheme of things.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 05-09-2016, 6:14 PM

Great article. Seems like the same can be said about exercising, riding bicycles, competitive sports, etc.
Old 05-09-2016, 8:20 PM

Awesome. Going to run some of those drills/tests next trip to the range.

Confirms that I do need to push myself for some speed. I don't let myself go fast enough because I'm caring too much about accuracy.

Sucks (good for him though!) Rowdy got the hell out of this place. Watching him run through stages helped me push myself.
Old 05-10-2016, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTactics View Post
Why You Aren't a Better Shooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

I'm classified in IDPA, regularly shoot the FAST test. Haven't shot the FAM qual in awhile. Failure drill is done 3 times in the IDPA classifier, so I know my time on that.

ZT didn't seem to think shooting the FAST test was particularly important earlier this year. Maybe he'll change his tune after reading the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
Zombie, what's your average FAST test?

Quote:
No idea. I have a raw guess it would around 7 seconds. Tell me what it should be, and more importantly why ... otherwise it's a pointless measurement of something entirely subjective in its meaning.

44 Mag ammo for sale

Federal Premium Law Enforcement ammo for sale, 45 Auto/38 Special

Last edited by HopetonBrown; 05-10-2016 at 10:30 AM..
Old 05-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know how other disciplines work but with regards to NRA classifications in Service Rifle, and Match Rifle I think I've figured something out.

Classification...Abbreviation...Percentage
High Master.......HM..................97% and above
Master..............MA...................94.00 to 96.99
Expert...............EX...................89.00 to 93.99
Sharpshooter.....SS...................84.00 to 88.99

A Sharpshooter understands the ideas of the fundamentals.
An Expert doesn't make stupid mistakes.
A Master leverages what they are good at to shoot well.
A High Master does what they are not good at well.

I've only made it to Master, but that has been my experience. My mental game is good, and it's what took me to master, but my dedication to practice is not as disciplined as it should be and by doing that well I suspect I'll make high master.

So -for me- in answer to "why aren't you a better shooter?": Once you've overcome the fundamental learning stages, then you must stop making stupid mistakes, then you must discover what you do well and leverage that to learn how to do well what you are not good at.

Last edited by milotrain; 05-10-2016 at 11:26 AM..
Old 05-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

Quote:
ZT didn't seem to think shooting the FAST test was particularly important earlier this year. Maybe he'll change his tune after reading the article.
Depends on context HB. A test of shooting skill is a test of shooting skill, but only a test of shooting skill. Hopefully there are enough redundancies there to be absolutely clear, lol.

I certainly don't believe in one single drill or test being the overall determiner of one's defensive skills, which encompasses more than simply shooting skill alone.

I found the article to be interesting in the way it compared various drills/tests. I don't know how accurate it is in doing so, but it's a good piece of work towards establishing such metrics. Some of that has to be personal. I can clean both FAM and POST quals most of the time, and that - according to the chart - would put me near a A-Class USPSA shooter. I am am nowhere close to being an A-Class shooter, IMHO. I imagine that amounts to having put some effort into those drills, and none into USPSA. So, the comparisons may be very YMMV in nature.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE

Last edited by ZombieTactics; 05-10-2016 at 12:22 PM..
Old 05-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I certainly don't believe in one single drill or test being the overall determiner of one's defensive skills, which encompasses more than simply shooting skill alone.
Who does?

44 Mag ammo for sale

Old 05-10-2016, 1:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Who does?
Hopefully nobody.

Old 05-10-2016, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
A test of shooting skill is a test of shooting skill, but only a test of shooting skill.

44 Mag ammo for sale

Old 05-10-2016, 6:31 PM

Interesting, but I've learned there is a difference between being good at stand and shoot things like FAST, IDPA classifier and being good at shooting stages in something like USPSA.

What I'm finding very interesting currently is that there will come a time where you have to be able to accurately self assess and be able to teach yourself what you need to know. There will come a time where classes and books and dvds aren't going to give you what you need, you need to have it come from within.

USPSA- Production Master, L-10 A
IDPA- ESP, SSP Master
Old 05-10-2016, 6:36 PM

Interesting how the pics are of an Ernie Langdon class, as he is a big proponent of the FAST test.

Secondly, #9 on the list became the very most important thing to me eventually.

I disagree with their 1.5 Bill Drill, that's in a totally different league than almost everything on their chart of stuff to the far right. A region I supposedly occupy according to the things on that chard. That's a 0.75 draw and five 0.15 splits with all A, -0 hits.

IDPA- ESP, SSP Master
Old 05-10-2016, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatt View Post
What I'm finding very interesting currently is that there will come a time where you have to be able to accurately self assess and be able to teach yourself what you need to know. There will come a time where classes and books and dvds aren't going to give you what you need, you need to have it come from within.
That is currently the most satisfying thing to me. The self assessment takes work and can be very frustrating because you know no one has the answers. But the victories are that much sweeter.
Old 05-11-2016, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatt View Post

Secondly, #9 on the list became the very most important thing to me eventually.
Yeah, it is an hour drive each way and $30 for two hours for a place one can practice with multiple targets (if you bring your own) etc..
Old 05-11-2016, 4:06 PM

Yep, you can have the time, the skill, the ammo, the will power and the money but if you have no place to practice you will hit an artificially low ceiling.

IDPA- ESP, SSP Master