Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training. > Training Class Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training Class Announcements Announce and/or Advertise your training classes here.

Old 12-29-2011, 7:47 PM

BTT
Old 01-01-2012, 9:18 AM

Students for 7-9 January 2012 needed!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Glad to see you made it through the New Year Stan! I'll see you on the 13th and 15th this month.

"Somewhere, Something Incredible is Waiting to be Known" -Carl Sagan

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Stan,

I wan't to take your pistol course, but wanted to ask about the physicality of it. Is there a lot of running involved? I have tears in my left knee meniscus from an ice hockey injury and am working towards surgery with an orthopedic surgeon. I can walk, step over, and crouch slowly, but running is out of the question.

Would I be best to wait and take the course once recovered, or would I be ok in the interim?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 AM

You should be fine, there is running in 202 but for you it can be a walk. We'll pretend you are wounded LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedsignal View Post
Stan,

I wan't to take your pistol course, but wanted to ask about the physicality of it. Is there a lot of running involved? I have tears in my left knee meniscus from an ice hockey injury and am working towards surgery with an orthopedic surgeon. I can walk, step over, and crouch slowly, but running is out of the question.

Would I be best to wait and take the course once recovered, or would I be ok in the interim?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:48 PM

That is great to know Stan. I will get my schedule sorted out and enroll ASAP. Thank you for getting back to me so soon. I am excited to train!
Old 01-03-2012, 1:46 PM

Default SULE [soo-lee]

Currently surveying interest in a marathon 12+ hour small-unit leadership evaluation to include multiple live fire, fire and movement events on 21 December 2012

Small Unit Leadership Evaluation (SULE) [Soo-lee]

The Concept of Operation:
* A rigorous crucible based around a 4-6 person fire team.
*Each of the members gets to lead at least once as the Fire Team Leader.
*Each leader is issued a mission and aided in the mission planning by a veteran Marine infantry officer and/or Staff Non-Commissioned Officer or NCO
*Once the mission order is planned and rehearsed it is presented before the rest of the team.
*Each mission climaxes in a live fire, fire and movement course of fire that is rehearsed and supervised for safety.
*Once the mission is complete, the Fire Team is led back to an “Assembly Area” and a new Fire Team Leader is appointed for the next mission.
*After action evaluation and feed back by a mentor, a veteran Marine infantry officer or Staff NCO.
*Multiple classes in the beginning for your education and safety; small unit tactics, emergency medicine/first aid, order processing and issuance.
*A lot of walking; mole skin will be necessary.
*A lot of exertion; you will need to be in good cardio-vascular condition with the blessing from your doctor. You will need to pound Gatorade throughout the trial.
*A lot of shooting; pushing your situational awareness, firearms skills, firearms and equipment to the maximum.
*Bag punching mixed in throughout to simulate hand-to-hand combat.
*Your ability to lead and follow will be strengthened under the stress of less-peaceful conditions.
*Two first-aid responders on scene during the entire event.
*The first trial is tentatively scheduled for 21 December 2012 (11+ months to get in shape!)

*Location would be at Angeles Shooting Range due to rugged terrain and easier access to night shooting.
*Price is estimated to be between $300 - $500 depending on how many takers. Hired help like experienced first aid responders (Navy Corpsman/Army medics) and veteran Marine and Soldiers will be contracted which affect the price tag.
*The thumbnail gear list: rifle, pistol optional, firearms supporting gear, load bearing equipment (chest rig, vest, harness, plate carrier, etc.), day/assault pack, cap, cold weather gear, weapons cleaning gear, pen/pencil, notepad, hydration source (camel, canteen, water bottles, etc.), good boots (broken in), cargo pants, long sleeve shirt (no camouflage clothing during the day) and intestinal fortitude.
*Rifle ammunition: ~1000 rounds.
* I can provide, 550 cord, duct tape, two-way radios, lunch, dinner and other consumable items. Load bearing equipment loaners available.
*Reduced price for those wanting to attend the academic portion, observe and learn.
*Prerequisites: Rifle/Carbine 202, Low-Light/Night Tactics 101 and Combined Arms & Tactics (CAT) 303 by St. Crispian. Other schools offer an RC 202 and Low Light 101 equivalent which can be honored. No one else offers CAT 303.

If this sounds like it is for you please contact me.

Last edited by Stan08; 01-06-2012 at 2:24 PM..
Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan08 View Post
Currently surveying interest in a marathon 12+ hour small-unit leadership evaluation to include multiple live fire, fire and movement events on 21 December 2012

Small Unit Leadership Evaluation (SULE) [Soo-lee]

The Concept of Operation:
* A rigorous crucible based around a 4-6 person fire team.
*Each of the members gets to lead at least once as the Fire Team Leader.
*Each leader is issued a mission and aided in the mission planning by a veteran Marine infantry officer and/or Staff Non-Commissioned Officer or NCO
*Once the mission order is planned and rehearsed it is presented before the rest of the team.
*Each mission climaxes in a live fire, fire and movement course of fire that is rehearsed and supervised for safety.
*Once the mission is complete, the Fire Team is led back to an “Assembly Area” and a new Fire Team Leader is appointed for the next mission.
*After action evaluation and feed back by a mentor, a veteran Marine infantry officer or Staff NCO.
*Multiple classes in the beginning for your education and safety; small unit tactics, emergency medicine/first aid, order processing and issuance.
*A lot of walking; mole skin will be necessary.
*A lot of exertion; you will need to be in good cardio-vascular condition with the blessing from your doctor. You will need to pound Gatorade throughout the trial.
*A lot of shooting; pushing your situational awareness, firearms skills, firearms and equipment to the maximum.
*Bag punching mixed in throughout to simulate hand-to-hand combat.
*Your ability to lead and follow will be strengthened under the stress of less-peaceful conditions.
*Two first-aid responders on scene during the entire event.
*The first trial is tentatively scheduled for 21 December 2012 (11+ months to get in shape!)

*Location would be at Angeles Shooting Range due to rugged terrain and easier access to night shooting.
*Price is estimated to be between $300 - $500 depending on how many takers. Hired help like experienced first aid responders (Navy Corpsman/Army medics) and veteran Marine and Soldiers will be contracted which affect the price tag.
*The thumbnail gear list: rifle, pistol optional, firearms supporting gear, load bearing equipment (chest rig, vest, harness, plate carrier, etc.), day/assault pack, cap, cold weather gear, weapons cleaning gear, pen/pencil, notepad, hydration source (camel, canteen, water bottles, etc.), good boots (broken in), cargo pants, long sleeve shirt (no camouflage clothing during the day) and intestinal fortitude.
*Rifle ammunition: ~1000 rounds.
* I can provide, 550 cord, duct tape, two-way radios, lunch, dinner and other consumable items. Load bearing equipment loaners available.
*Reduced price for those wanting to attend the academic portion, observe and learn.
*Prerequisites: Rifle/Carbine 202, Low-Light/Night Tactics 101 and Combined Arms & Tactics (CAT) 303 by St. Crispian. Other schools offer an RC 202 and Low Light 101 equivalent which can be honored. No one else offers CAT 303.

If this sounds like it is for you please contact me.
So there is a class before Carbine 404 in Somalia! LOL.

That sounds like a good date in December. I'm in.

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 01-07-2012, 6:08 PM

Count me in also.
Old 01-07-2012, 6:18 PM

Took the carbine and pistol 101 today. Being a novice shooter, I appreciate the level of detail Stan went into from safety to the live fire drills. My favorite was the buddy reload drill in both courses. Thanks Stan for a great day of instruction and
Old 01-07-2012, 6:26 PM
Vendor/Retailer

My crew will see some of you guys on the 13th!
Old 01-07-2012, 9:25 PM

Took the night shooting class today with Stan, once again a great class. Great class well worth the investment!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:19 PM

Hey guys, I've been looking into taking some training classes recently and I came across this thread. Seems like a lot of people are satisfied with the training. I plan on taking the pistol 101 and 202 in the same day. I ordered a holster and 2 double mag pouches, I have 4 mags and a pistol. I also have cleaning supplies for said pistol.

Is there anything else I should pick up before hand? How much ammo should I bring along for both classes. I know the website tells you but it never hurts to ask just in case.
Old 01-08-2012, 7:53 AM

The more mags you have, the less you have to reload and bring knee pads!
Old 01-08-2012, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcasso View Post
Hey guys, I've been looking into taking some training classes recently and I came across this thread. Seems like a lot of people are satisfied with the training. I plan on taking the pistol 101 and 202 in the same day. I ordered a holster and 2 double mag pouches, I have 4 mags and a pistol. I also have cleaning supplies for said pistol.

Is there anything else I should pick up before hand? How much ammo should I bring along for both classes. I know the website tells you but it never hurts to ask just in case.
I always bring 1000 rounds to his classes. Especially if you're doing the full day course. Four mags should be enough. Make sure you have a duty belt to put all those gear (holster, mags). Sun block, water, a hat. Stan is cool. You'll have a good time.

Old 01-08-2012, 9:56 AM

I have a belt coming too i dunno how good it will be but i ordered a 5-11 tdu belt to start with. Good advice on the other stuff thats what i was looking for, knee pads sounds useful ill have to get some of those. im usually wearing sunblock already so water and hat it is =). I was planning on taking all the ammo i have on hand atm which i think is close to 1000 if not ill just buy more on the way to class =). Thanks again for the tips, time to look into some knee pads.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andric View Post
Took the night shooting class today with Stan, once again a great class. Great class well worth the investment!
BTW - what did you guys use for targets during the night shoot? And how much illumination did you have?
Old 01-08-2012, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
BTW - what did you guys use for targets during the night shoot? And how much illumination did you have?
We used the normal targets with some paste over targets on the center that were neon when hit. Illumination was hand held & weapons mounted for both carbine & shotgun.

For pistol we reviewed an practiced four or five different techniques from various distances. Carbine & shotgun were first practiced with handheld (real fun with a shotgun) then we moved to weapon mounted lights.
Old 01-08-2012, 6:52 PM

Default targets

B-27 silouettes with shoot n'see targets center mass...when the wind didn't blow them away! Full moon right behind targets at the Northeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andric View Post
We used the normal targets with some paste over targets on the center that were neon when hit. Illumination was hand held & weapons mounted for both carbine & shotgun.

For pistol we reviewed an practiced four or five different techniques from various distances. Carbine & shotgun were first practiced with handheld (real fun with a shotgun) then we moved to weapon mounted lights.
Old 01-09-2012, 8:35 PM

just had another awesome training day with stan. for all those sitting on the fence, just sign up and come out and play.

did the pistol 202 class today in the afternoon and there were only 2 of us (most left after the morning session). what luck! private training session!!!!!! we finish the class curriculum and even got to work on stuff we asked for.

see you guys next sunday for the 303 class. i need to go shop for the low light classes so i can take those too!
Old 01-09-2012, 8:35 PM

just had another awesome training day with stan. for all those sitting on the fence, just sign up and come out and play.

did the pistol 202 class today in the afternoon and there were only 2 of us (most left after the morning session). what luck! private training session!!!!!! we finish the class curriculum and even got to work on stuff we asked for.

see you guys next sunday for the 303 class. i need to go shop for the low light classes so i can take those too!
Old 01-11-2012, 5:30 PM

Students needed Sat 14 Jan & Mon 16 Jan @ Prado!
Old 01-12-2012, 8:22 PM

I'll see you guys on Monday
Old 01-14-2012, 5:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

It was a pleasure meeting all of you on Friday for Rifle 202, Pistol 202 and Low Light 101. I looked at some of the pics and videos from that day and they looked amazing. I'll let you guys know soon when I have them up.
- Phong
Old 01-15-2012, 7:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

CAT303 was awesome and had nice weather too! While most of the drills were a review for me, it was also great to learn some new things as well such as maneuver vs. attrition warfare. AAR coming soon!

Some pictures from today's course:

Rockin' with my Ferfrans 14.5in GPU mid-length.

Warming up drills

Stan giving us a lecture on buddy team movement drills

Couple of students doing a buddy team drill

Last edited by BMWguy206; 01-15-2012 at 7:55 PM..
Old 01-15-2012, 9:34 PM

good times! thanks john for the awesome pics!
Old 01-16-2012, 7:57 AM

I had an incredible time yesterday in the Carbine 303 course. It was great seeing some familiar faces and meeting some new friends. The drills were great and I could have ran that last one all night.

Thanks for another great class Stan. I'll see you again soon!

Last edited by zombiescanlearn; 01-16-2012 at 8:18 AM..
Old 01-17-2012, 7:30 PM

Rifle 101 and 202 classes this while weekend on both Saturday and Sunday, 22-23 January 2012!
Old 01-17-2012, 7:30 PM

Rifle 101 and 202 classes this whole weekend on both Saturday and Sunday, 22-23 January 2012!
Old 01-20-2012, 8:27 AM

Rifle 101 and 202 classes this whole weekend on both Saturday and Sunday, 22-23 January 2012!

Need to zero your rifle? We zero as part of course of fire, you can join just for the rifle zero for free.
Old 01-23-2012, 4:59 PM

Default Stan is a great instructor

I completed Rifle/Carbine 101 & 202 with Stan this past Sunday.

I will like to express some of my thoughts that echo from others that took his class.

Instructor
It was a great learning experience and a pleasure to have Stan as my instructor, he is a great instructor, and he is very patient and very experienced. Stan was easy to understand, He explained all the topics that were covered very clearly. The instructor always asked if the students had any questions before and after every drill and properly addressed anything missing and He always focused on safety.

Curriculum
This curriculum had everything I wanted, from the basics, safety, evacuation plan, taking apart your AR, cleaning, how to operate, sight alignment, zeroing your AR, properly shooting your AR, shooting positions, transitioning positions, shooting from cover, addressing malfunctions, shooting on the move, shooting from 50, 25, 15, 7 yards. Buddy Reload drills, many fire movement drills, transitioning to shooting with your pistol. Shooting and addressing targets from the flanks and ending the day with a simulated attack on the enemy on the move, communicating with a team leader while covering and shooting and advancing with your partner.

Gear
LWRC M6A2 SPR Urban Shadow
Iron Sights
Magpull, can be configured to 1,2,3 point sling ( I used configured in 1 point, but going to change to 3 point set up)
7 10/30 Magpull mags
511 LBE vest

4 double Mag pouches were attached to the 511 LBE Vest along with 4 pistol Mags, some drills I used 6-7 mags and I felt I needed at least one more for a total of 8, but I would recommend bringing more loaded mags and a speed loader for sure. I had two bullet button tools, the magpull mag and one of the new Badger BB tools, I felt I needed a little longer strap on that badger tool. I started using gloves at the end of the drills but I could manage without them.
I really like the all the upgrades on the LWRC urban shadow, great trigger, very fast, very accurate even with Iron sights. My side arm was attached to the LBE.
No issues along the way, the MA62 ran effortless, I used about 800 rounds of Federal and premium ammo with no malfunctions other than operator error.

One recommendation is to make sure you load all your mags at home and strip all the boxes in your ammo can, will save you time. Also recommend to bring more than one BB device and don't forget to bring the speed loader for your mags.

Taking the class at TASC with Stan was a lot of fun!! and a great learning environment, I enjoyed a lot and will recommend it to anyone looking for great training from an excellent experienced instructor.

I look forward in completing all the classes offered by Stan at TASC in the next few weeks, I will taking the Pistol 101,202 this weekend, bringing the family along and can't wait to take the low light tactics and Combine Arms and Tactics in February.

I must also mentioned that I enjoyed taking the class with another experienced TASC returned student retaking Carbine 101/202, thanks for all your help, you were great partner.

Stan, Wish you and TASC all the best!!

Last edited by ZuluBravo; 01-23-2012 at 5:02 PM..
Old 01-23-2012, 8:00 PM

Zulu - Thanks for the review and tips for the class! Plan on taking this soon.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan

The mindless dribble that is my BLOG
Old 01-23-2012, 8:40 PM

ZuluBravo, it was good training with you too! glad you had fun. Didn't we tell you it's addictive?

yes, i retook RC101/202 a second time. I'll take it a few more times as well as repeat the other classes too. i don't have much drive to train by myself and don't have a regular group of buddies to go shooting with to train. more importantly, most of my buddies don't necessarily have the training or understanding to safely do these move and shoot drills without supervision. i trust the other students that's taken TASC classes and with stan there, we have a safety officer on duty all the time. stan is great at running me through drills and catching my mistakes. just because i learned the technique and theories once doesn't mean i've mastered it. i retake these courses to try and reinforce the training to muscle memory and hopefully react correctly in stressed situations.

my approach to firearms training is the same as my approach with martial arts. don't stop just because you got a "black belt". that just means you've learned the curriculum well enough to pass and perhaps represent your school. you're not even close to being able to say you've mastered the art (and i have over 25 years of training in 3 disciplines - would still be doing it except my docs don't let me so i train in this now hehehehe). and if you don't keep up the training, the control and motor skills go away as well. i realize i'm not going to get as fast as the 3gunners or other competitive shooters out there, but if this is good enough for our boys in the USMC in real combat, this is more than enough for me

edit again:

just also wanted to add that this time around, i ran my noveske n4 light recce with iron sights. i also brought a ruger 10/22 carbine to the class and ran the assault drill with that as well. you don't need fancy or expensive gear. you can run ANY carbine. i'll redo this class with the ruger 10/22 again. that was fun blasting at the metal target as fast as i can on the move. this class and classes like it help you flush out all the hype with internet gear and opinions. you find out for real if it works for you or not. i'm still trying to flush out my gear for the SULE class in december which will be pushing the limit for myself and my gear. bullet button devices, load bearing gear, mag pouches, holsters, gloves, optics.. all of it.. you don't know what to expect till you run it hard and find out for yourself...

my observations from all the classes:
i found that i hate using the UBBT. very awkward under pressure running and trying to cover fire for my buddies. i was faster with a simple bullet. others had no issues. just wasn't fast for me. double feeds, forget about it...

gloves make it even more cumbersome. without gloves, the high round count shooting and manipulations got my finger tips feeling raw.

optics make me at least twice as fast. but learning solid fundamentals with iron sights is extremely important.

lbe's and other gear need to be balanced front to back and side to side. running around, hitting the deck, switching into a number of different shooting positions really test your positioning of the gear. it also made my back tired and sore from wearing an unbalanced rig all day long...

Last edited by hayaku; 01-23-2012 at 9:07 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 2:42 PM

BTT
Old 01-30-2012, 1:10 PM

BTT!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Hope all is well Stan. Won't be able to make it this weekend but I'll see you soon. Good luck with the classes.

Old 02-01-2012, 6:34 PM

Thanks Mr. Zombie,

See you soon

Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiescanlearn View Post
Hope all is well Stan. Won't be able to make it this weekend but I'll see you soon. Good luck with the classes.
Old 02-02-2012, 4:48 PM

BTT
Old 02-03-2012, 3:34 PM

Since I haven't seen any pictures yet... or info... here is my review of Shotgun 101 and 202 from TASC.

I've taken Stan's Pistol 101 and Rifle 101/202 series with my buddy. Shotgun is pretty much the same except with the shotgun. Obviously you do less prone ( thank God) but the drills are pretty much the same. Since we do basically everything the same as pistol/rifle I won't rehash the drills we ran but instead some of the really big lessons I got out of this class.

First off, the classes tend to be smaller since who in their right mind really wants to go through 400 shells. The recoil can be disturbing after awhile. So this was almost like a private lesson for me. We had a 3 person class in the AM and 2 person class in the PM.

1. Learn how to really use the shotgun well. I always unloaded my shotgun the "Gangster" way apparently by racking the slide. This apparently is not the correct way (suppose to reach inside and depress what's holding the shells and they pop out). Amazing!

2. Learn how to load shells correctly. It's one thing to see it done on youtube, it is another to actually have to "Load 2, fire, load 2, fire...". After we were done I had no problem dropping one in the chamber, one under...

3. Learn how to use the shotgun well. I shoot the crap out of my guns... except the shotgun. I don't think I've ever put more than 10 shells of anything... The shotgun sort of sits in the closet. After taking the class I feel a lot more comfortable using the thing.

4. Learn what works with your shotgun. Stuff on my shotgun got loose. Next time I am bringing loctite. The Knoxx recoiling reducing stock really does make a difference. Which way you shells on your side saddle should go (facing down for me).

5. Pattern your shotgun correctly. My Remington will **** someone up at 15 yards.

6. Get an auto shotty. Seriously my piston operated (aka left arm) isn't as efficient. I want a Mossberg 930. Hence I'm selling my 500 if anyone is interested

7. Make sure you have an efficient way to store your shells. I had a dump pouch. It was awesome.

8 May want to wear gloves...

Finally, you don't need a pistol for this course as we didn't do any transition drills. For some reason Stan includes it, but we never even touched the pistol.

Also since we finished early we got to use the range. If your class is small bring out your other firearms. Might as well get some good range time in. Stan is an excellent instructor in all forms of firearms.

Out of all the classes I've taken, this one was the most valuable in my opinion. Probability speaking the most likely weapon I will use to defend myself would be my shotgun, not my rifle. I don't plan on blasting anyone 50Meters out, but if someone breaks into my home, damn well better know how to use the 12GA.

Old 02-06-2012, 9:35 AM

BTT