Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-10-2011, 9:27 PM

Default Storing Ammo Cans In Water Heater / HVAC Room ~ SAFE?

Hello all,
Where I live the average temp from winter lows to summer highs is 50's up to 80's. The garage is the only place I have to store my ammo cans, but I have so many I don't want my neighbors to notice when the garage door is open. i know I could easily cover my deep stack of ammo cans, but I do have a small room that houses my water heater and HVAC that connects to the garage. Its small, kind of like an under the stairs closet that opens to the garage (not accessible from inside the house). One upside is that I could keep my ammo out of sight and even put a simple locking door knob to discourage someone stealing my ammo if I ever have the garage door open and I am else-ware. Now the room is about 4' by 8 or 10'. Half is taken up my the water heater and HVAC, but the other half where the stairs (from above) come down at an angle would be perfect for ammo storage space wise.

Now... I need to know if this is safe? All my ammo is either in ammo cans or sealed wooden crates. There would be at least a door width distance (30" or so) physically between the water heater/HVAC and the closest ammo can. The door would separate them, and it has 3 inches cut off the bottom to allow ventilation. It does get noticeably warmer in this room, but only say 5-10 degrees warmer then the garage itself.

Would this be dangerous to do? I feel that it may be okay, but thought it prudent to ask for advise first.

Thank you

Last edited by insin; 08-10-2011 at 10:16 PM..
Old 08-10-2011, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

I think your title to the thread confuses me.
Old 08-10-2011, 9:42 PM
Calguns Addict

ummm wtf?
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 08-10-2011, 9:57 PM

Either you've been hacked or you're smoking crack.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM

?????
Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 PM

Shoot, my bad. Fixed. See OP for question
Old 08-11-2011, 7:35 AM

I'm kinda confused - is there another door inside that room? So that there is a door between the garage and that room, and another door between the heater and the proposed storage area in the room?

Either way I would think that it is safe as long as your water heater is properly installed (earthquake straps, 18" off the floor) and you maintain that buffer space. Ammo is a lot more stable than your typical flammable material that you are not supposed to store in the same room as a water heater.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Sealed containers or not, my only other concern would be excessive humidity.

The heat generated from those two appliances should be plenty to vaporize any water in the space, but I'd add a vent (if there isn't one already) and make sure the crack below the door is large enough for fresh air to enter the bottom of the room.