Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 08-10-2011, 5:39 PM

Default BX25

Are BX25s available in CA gun-stores? If they are, can anyone give me a heads-ups where I can get them in Socal? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 5:48 PM
Banned

order them online 44mag.com or calegalmags.com
Old 08-10-2011, 6:19 PM

Calegal doesn't show it on their site and 44mag is in OR. Id like to be able to walk into a gunstore in Local and pick up two to a few.
Old 08-10-2011, 6:26 PM
Banned

Not currently since in CA they have a political ban on magazines that hold over ten rounds of ammunition. The only way to own them are if they are pre ban before year 2000 and you are buying it to rebuild repair a old magazine. I think I may buy one to see if I can use the parts to make my 25 round 10/22 mag a steel fed lip.
Old 08-10-2011, 8:32 PM

I thought since my 10/22 only shoots rimfire rounds that it was exempt from the 10rd magazine limit. Btw my circa 2008 10/22 now sits in a folding ATI Strikeforce stock. Does this mod make my once friendly-looking family gun "evil" in Ca's eyes, thus the 10rd limit? Or is it a 10rd limit in CA no matter what?
Old 08-10-2011, 8:59 PM

ya its BS man.... i wanna see in writting that "ITS ILLEGAL IN CALIFORNIA TO OWN/HAVE/POSSES A MAGAZINE THAT IS MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS"
Old 08-10-2011, 9:30 PM
Banned

It is not illegal (thus legal) to own or posses magazines that hold more than ten rounds. It will be illegal to manufacture, purchase, import magazine that hold more than ten rounds post jan 1 2000.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Illegal to sell.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendithit View Post
Calegal doesn't show it on their site and 44mag is in OR. Id like to be able to walk into a gunstore in Local and pick up two to a few.
Is it something specific you have against buying online? Because you most likely will only find that magazine as a rebuild kit for sale online. Not too many gunshops in CA are smart enough (or too many are too scared) to sell rebuild kits in their stores. In fact I've never seen a rebuild kit for sale in a gunshop in CA, and I've been to quite a few. 44mag.com has over 100 in stock and will sell them as rebuild kits for $2 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4rk View Post
ya its BS man.... i wanna see in writting that "ITS ILLEGAL IN CALIFORNIA TO OWN/HAVE/POSSES A MAGAZINE THAT IS MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS"
You will only find that in writing if you read what people ignorant of CA law write. It's not illegal to own or possess a >10 round magazine in CA. In fact, I've got quite a few myself, all legally purchased and owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
It is not illegal (thus legal) to own or posses magazines that hold more than ten rounds. It will be illegal to manufacture, purchase sell or offer for sale, import magazine that hold more than ten rounds post jan 1 2000.
Fixed it for you. Nowhere does the CA Penal Code say it's illegal to purchase "large capacity magazines."

Check me out on YouTube! Shooting, Engineering, and Dogs. What's not to love?

Last edited by Turo; 08-10-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 9:00 AM

So let me wrap what Im reading here around my head:

1) It is not legal for private citizen to sell, buy, import ANY detachable-type magazine AFTER Jan 01 2000 that holds >10rds in CA, but some firearms dealers in CA do stock them but will only sell them to LEO.

2) It is legal as a private citizen to buy detachable-type magazines that hold >10rd on-line because the out-of-state dealer will sell it as a "rebuild kit" to rebuild my pre-2000 magazine that I may or may not have and the good dealer will be a good dealer and sell it to me no questions asked.

3) Detachable-type magazines do not have a manufacture date and there are no magazine police or magazine registration laws in CA.

4) I can USE pre-01/01/00 detachable-type magazine that holds >10rds in my 10/22 because it only shoots RIMFIRE-type cartridges even though my 10/22 has a pistolgrip that extends below the bottom of the trigger blade, thus it looks "evil" to scared and ignorant Californians.

5) I can legally possess and buy detachable magazines, but I cannot USE the magazines in my rifle

6) Hell has not frozen over and my hands are not dead and cold and ape-monkeys have not put their stinkin' dirty paws on me.

Last edited by sendithit; 08-11-2011 at 9:31 AM.. Reason: stuff I wanted to add and spellcheck
Old 08-11-2011, 9:40 AM

Also....what is the difference between a ready-to-use magazine and a "rebuild kit"? Btw I have a silly PMag 20/10 with its silly pin and 10rd follower that I bought already installed for my CA-compliant AR15 and I think its, well......silly.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:12 AM

A rebuild kit is simply a disassembled magazine and as such is not considered a magazine, but a bunch of parts. It is legal to purchase and own these parts since there are no possessive construction laws for magazines. But you cannot assemble the parts together which would be considered manufacture, only use them to fix existing magazines.

And you can use detachable magazines all you want if you are using a rimfire rifle or on a featureless centerfire rifle.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:29 PM

Still trying to wrap this around my head cuz the more I read, the more unsure I am.

So..........what are the definitve answers for these questions:

Is the term "evil feature" applicable to rimfire rifles, thus requiring a bb when modified as the one in my next question below?

Is a pistol gripped, flash hidden, collapse-abled/fold-abled buttstocked) 10/22 "tactical rifle" with a 16"-barrel exempt from the 10rd magazine limit in CA?

Am I over-thinking this....or am I correct with my questions and concerns?

Seems like the 'ol wink-n-nod is the norm when it pertains to law interpretation, opinion, advice, and action if it involves CA's silly gun-laws....in other words "use at your own risk".
Old 08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Banned

All I can say is I'm glad they atleast allow us to repair our old standard cap mags since someof them are almost reaching their twenties.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Is the term "evil feature" applicable to rimfire rifles, thus requiring a bb when modified as the one in my next question below?
No

Quote:
Is a pistol gripped, flash hidden, collapse-abled/fold-abled buttstocked) 10/22 "tactical rifle" with a 16"-barrel exempt from the 10rd magazine limit in CA?
Also no, the only guns exempt from the 10 round limit are tube feed lever action center fire, and tube feed rimfire.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You're probably getting confused because you are dealing with two separate issues, the "assault weapon" law and the "large capacity magazine" law.

Rimfire rifles, like your 10/22 are exempt from California's "assault weapon" law. You can use any sized magazine that you legally possess in your 10/22.

In California it is illegal for you to import or assemble a large capacity magazine for your 10/22. It is also illegal for anybody to sell or loan you a large capacity magazine for your 10/22. But possession and use of large capacity magazines for your 10/22 are not illegal. So if you already possess a large capacity magazine for your 10/22 you can use it or even repair it with new parts. But you can't acquire any more of them in California.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

Last edited by Mssr. Eleganté; 08-11-2011 at 12:50 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 12:52 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So let me wrap what Im reading here around my head:

1) It is not legal for private citizen to sell, buy, import ANY detachable-type magazine AFTER Jan 01 2000 that holds >10rds in CA, but some firearms dealers in CA do stock them but will only sell them to LEO.
correct.

FFLs

Quote:
2) It is legal as a private citizen to buy detachable-type magazines that hold >10rd on-line because the out-of-state dealer will sell it as a "rebuild kit" to rebuild my pre-2000 magazine that I may or may not have and the good dealer will be a good dealer and sell it to me no questions asked.
no, that out-of-state seller may not sell you a 11+ round magazine. he may sell you a repair kit that consists of most/all of the parts of a magazine. No, you may not assemble that repair kit into a new 11+ round magazine. You may use those parts to repair an existing 11+ round magazine that you already own.

Quote:
3) Detachable-type magazines do not have a manufacture date and there are no magazine police or magazine registration laws in CA.
some do, some don't.

Quote:
4) I can USE pre-01/01/00 detachable-type magazine that holds >10rds in my 10/22 because it only shoots RIMFIRE-type cartridges even though my 10/22 has a pistolgrip that extends below the bottom of the trigger blade, thus it looks "evil" to scared and ignorant Californians.
yes, you can.

Quote:
5) I can legally possess and buy detachable magazines, but I cannot USE the magazines in my rifle
you can legally possess them, but nobody can sell you an 11+ round magazine today. YOu can use them in your 10/22 without violating an additional laws.

Quote:

there is no CA law that deals with "evil features" on rimfire rifles. Consult the rifle flowchart for more info. http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Quote:
yes, you can use 11+ round detachable magazines in that 10/22. You may not make a 11+ round magazine for that 10/22.

Quote:
Seems like the 'ol wink-n-nod is the norm when it pertains to law interpretation, opinion, advice, and action if it involves CA's silly gun-laws....in other words "use at your own risk".
smart people never suggest that you play fast and loose with CA's gun-laws. We explain what the law says and doesn't say.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-11-2011, 4:13 PM

So a fellow gun enthusiast who is in legal possession of 11+rd magazines can legally gift them to a fellow enthusiast. And since the lucky gift recipient did not BUY the magazine from the gifter, it is ultimately legal for the giftee to possess and use them in his/her 10/22....all 25+rds in one long magazine. But wait!!!!! BX25s did not exist prior to 01-01-00, so the 10/22 enthusiasts are s.o.l.....unless they are LEO in CA and use them for "training" purposes (however "training" is interpreted)......right?

Last edited by sendithit; 08-11-2011 at 4:15 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 4:27 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
So a fellow gun enthusiast who is in legal possession of 11+rd magazines can legally gift them to a fellow enthusiast.
Giving them is illegal too.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 08-11-2011, 4:29 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So a fellow gun enthusiast who is in legal possession of 11+rd magazines can legally gift them to a fellow enthusiast

please read the PC yourself,

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

and this letter as well, http://hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-lar...2005-11-10.pdf

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-11-2011, 4:33 PM

This makes me sad