Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-10-2011, 8:50 AM

Default Stevens 94c - disassembly?

Just picked up an old Steven 94c, single shot 12 gauge. The gun is in great shape, blueing, bore, and stock all look good but I want to break the gun down a bit to check out the rest of it.

Anyone have one of these that can give me a basic and simple to follow guide on how to disassemble it?

Also, looks like the firing pin may be broken and need replaced, anyone with any experience with that on a 94c?

CERTIFIED GLOCK AND S&W M&P ARMORER

"It's good to know who hates you, and it's good to be hated by the right people." - Johnny Cash
Old 08-10-2011, 12:09 PM

Location: Seal Beach (90740) Just south of Long Beach, in Orange County.

These break down by "simply" pulling the forend down and off the barrel, then opening the action and lifting the barrel off the reciever. BUTT (the big but) if it hasn't be taken down for a while, it may take quite a bit of force to remove the forend.

I hold the gun upside down, put my thumb and forefinger on opposite sides of the forend near the end away from the receiver and "pinch-pry" the forend wood away from the barrel, holding the barrel in the other hand. It should pop away without using tools; if you have to use mechanical force, something is wrong (On some of the very last of these guns, you have to remove the external forend screw first. So if the forend just WON'T come off, try removing the external forend screw). Then turn the gun over and open with the toplever as usual. The barrel should lift up and away from the receiver easily. If it balks, use some penetrating oil on the barrel lug and receiver joint.

Firing pins break easily on these guns IF YOU DRYFIRE THEM. Don't. If you just have to snap the gun without a live shell, get a snap cap.

The "NRA Book of Firearms Assembly" (page 186 in my old edition) has the further takedown procedures to remove and replace the firing pin. If you can't find the book, email me and I'll mail you the pages (don't have a fax). Parts should be available from Gunparts and Jack First, among others. When you get the pin out, remember if it was retained by a screw or by a crosspin and get the correct pin; they are different.

My email is g.armstrong@hvcc.edu if you need it.

Mike Armstrong
Old 08-10-2011, 4:12 PM

Thanks Mike, I thought the forearm just popped off as you described but wanted some verification before pulling on it.

I may take you up on the offer for the firing pin fix. I'll take it and try shooting it before I go taking too much apart. Thanks again.

CERTIFIED GLOCK AND S&W M&P ARMORER

"It's good to know who hates you, and it's good to be hated by the right people." - Johnny Cash
Old 08-10-2011, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

http://stevespages.com/ipb-savage-94c.html