Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-06-2011, 9:01 AM

Default M&P cuts my shirts

Is anyone else experiencing damage to their shirts when wearing the S&W MP with thumb safety?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Further evidence that the M&P isn't supposed to have a manual safety.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 08-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
sorta like the XD 45 with manual safety, come depts require it.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
Although the M&P's I own don't have the manual safety, I'd say that one with a manual safety isn't as good for CCW as on without.

I'd guess that's the main problem.

If you're wearing OWB, then hmmmmm.....file the sharp edges???

Jesus was Black, Ronald Reagan was the devil, and the Government lied about 9/11.
Old 08-09-2011, 7:13 AM

or you can remove the thumb safety... anybody know if that could create legality problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDriver View Post
Most in-laws have a no return policy on wives. But I do understand how you feel. As soon as I left the chappel, I started thinking maybe I should have gotten a different woman. Oh well, I'll just have to wait another 30 years to get the other one. Oh, the pain ...
Old 08-09-2011, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
or you can remove the thumb safety... anybody know if that could create legality problems?
No problem, you could remove the safeties off all your weapons if you so desire.

The only problem I can see is if its a dept. or agency gun, but thats a different story.
There's a reason why the feds stopped using the 10mm it went right through the enemy every time, so they moved to the .40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
I was at Calguns before you
Old 08-09-2011, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, I have read a few times (in firearms magazines) about DA's trying to prosecute people for disconnecting the magazine disconnect safety in their legally owned pistols. But, I do not know what would happen for sure. I would say just to be safe, do not modify your carry firearm, just in case.
Old 08-09-2011, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGrAM View Post
Well, I have read a few times (in firearms magazines) about DA's trying to prosecute people for disconnecting the magazine disconnect safety in their legally owned pistols. But, I do not know what would happen for sure. I would say just to be safe, do not modify your carry firearm, just in case.
i've thought about doing it to my m&p45 but changed my mind in the event i do have to use it, the firearm is as safe as the manufacturer says it is. and besides, it helps place my thumb in a position that is familiar with my 1911 and i think it helps me control recoil too. of course i don't have a ccw, and if i do get one i might spring for the no thumb safety model.

Quote:
Most in-laws have a no return policy on wives. But I do understand how you feel. As soon as I left the chappel, I started thinking maybe I should have gotten a different woman. Oh well, I'll just have to wait another 30 years to get the other one. Oh, the pain ...
Old 08-09-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGrAM View Post
I never understood exactly what you would get charged with for removing a mag disconnect. It's not like doing that turns a pistol into some kinda illegal cop-killing assault weapon. If you justifiably shoot someone, a mag disconnect has nothing to do with anything.
Old 08-10-2011, 6:09 AM

i've read that some prosecutors try to rationalize that you are careless and vindictive for removing a safety feature on your weapon. and by removing safeties, you have been planning on using that weapon on another human being as soon as the opportunity arises.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2011, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtvet View Post
Is anyone else experiencing damage to their shirts when wearing the S&W MP with thumb safety?
Just get a holster with a slide shield...
Old 08-10-2011, 6:58 AM

How about having the sharp edges removed and leave the safety, almost all production guns have these sharp edges, a gunsmith can make the gun like a well used bar of soap.
Old 08-10-2011, 9:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
i've read that some prosecutors try to rationalize that you are careless and vindictive for removing a safety feature on your weapon. and by removing safeties, you have been planning on using that weapon on another human being as soon as the opportunity arises.
I don't see that happening unless you claimed accidental discharge as a defense.

LASD Retired
1978-2011
Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 PM

the other thing is s&w makes m&p's without thumb safeties so removing your thumb safety should still be within the safety guidelines of the manufacturer.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltz View Post
I never understood exactly what you would get charged with for removing a mag disconnect. It's not like doing that turns a pistol into some kinda illegal cop-killing assault weapon. If you justifiably shoot someone, a mag disconnect has nothing to do with anything.
the prosecutor can try to paint you in a bad light by saying things like "he removed the safety from the gun to make it easier to kill people" or "he modified his gun in such a way that it would make it quicker to kill people" it is all about making you look like you were out looking to kill and the dude trying to mug you was just out for a walk i know removing safeties wont do anything you know this too but the jury is stupid and most of the time will think removing the safety from the gun makes the gun now unsafe
Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
+1 This is my impression from what I have read. I would not recommend modifying a firearm that might be used to kill or injure another person in a defensive situation.

But if you must tinker with either your HD gun or carry gun, modify your HD gun. Not your carry firearm.

Last edited by InGrAM; 08-10-2011 at 11:41 PM..