Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 08-06-2011, 4:59 PM

Ok thank you guys. If they pull my online application, I will tell them that I checked it by mistake since what I wrote there is not signed or pledged.
Let's see where it takes me
Old 08-09-2011, 1:15 PM

not sure how to tell my parents and friends if I sign up.
Old 08-09-2011, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuerno_de_Chivo View Post
they asked me if i ever had a problem using marijuana, i said no. Did i lie?
The question was "did you have a problem using it". Not have you used it.

See the difference?

Best of luck. Don't lie, if you are caught you are simply dead in the water and can never apply to any service "ever" recuriters might be cool about some things but MEPS will run you into the ground.
Old 08-09-2011, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaLuv View Post
Try this, "Who the man?"
Old 08-10-2011, 9:10 AM

Talked to a recruiter. I need to lose some weight.
Old 08-10-2011, 9:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Juice feast. Lose 30 pounds in 30 days, guaranteed.

That's how I got in. Was weak as hell though but the drill sergeants will make you strong

edit: eh how much weight do you need to lose, btw?

Last edited by Army GI; 08-22-2011 at 9:20 AM..
Old 08-10-2011, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Long walks with Panda.
Old 08-10-2011, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army GI View Post
Juice fast. Lose 30 pounds in 30 days, guaranteed.

That's how I got in. Was weak as hell though but the drill sergeants will make you strong

edit: eh how much weight do you need to lose, btw?
Running and small meals to lose weight slowly, you dont want to lose 30 pounds by starving yourself and be weak going into boot camp.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't want to be on the fat boy program in boot.
They were always up those guys @ss. ROAD GUARD !!!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Wow too fat for the Army huh? Better get yourself on a treadmill or elliptical and walk until you die. Go from white bread to whole wheat, white rice to brown rice, any meat to chicken breast and eat some grapefruit. Also here is a link to the military.com fitness site (weight loss section). Dont let being a fat *** discourage you from joining the military.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:39 AM

About 40 lbs.
I'm 5'10 and 235 lbs. I am fat but being big boned and some what muscular doesn't help.

I'm going to BJJ this Thursday. I'm plannin to run and watch my diet. Thank you for all the advice.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 AM

Panda, be careful when running. Since your a heavy dude you dont want to run on concrete if possible. If you have a gym membership I would do the elliptical and very light weights at high reps until you lose 20 of the 40 pounds that you want to lose. After you lose that twenty you will have built up some stamina and wont be lugging along that twenty pounds on your shins in feet.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Long, brisk walks with Pandadog won't even feel like exercise, and will get you to the point where you're ready to run...

Cycling is also fun exercise, and low-impact.
Old 08-10-2011, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Grenade thrmogenic....Cut the Soda....no soda!!! only water....drink LOTS of water...make tuna a good friend of yours...along with other fish. Where are you Pandaluv? If youre close we can go to the LA AFB gym...you can be my guest.
Old 08-10-2011, 2:55 PM

cut just soda, cut the majority of processed foods. Eat meat and vegetables. Drink water.
Old 08-10-2011, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsmileyface View Post
cut just soda, cut the majority of processed foods. Eat meat and vegetables. Drink water.
Soda is terrible aint it? I quit drinking soda and I feel better and i perform better on my workouts...DIET is no better. DO NOT STARVE yourself!
Old 08-10-2011, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Sapper View Post
Panda, be careful when running. Since your a heavy dude you dont want to run on concrete if possible. If you have a gym membership I would do the elliptical and very light weights at high reps until you lose 20 of the 40 pounds that you want to lose. After you lose that twenty you will have built up some stamina and wont be lugging along that twenty pounds on your shins in feet.
Excellent advice on the weight/running. Generally, I don't recommend people run if they're over 200 lbs. It's just that much harder and it really just does more harm than good.

Also, not only do you want to make weight, but you want to be at an ideal weight. IIRC, the passing weight for BCT for someone your height is 184lbs. That's still pretty heavy TBH. I went in at that weight and went back up to 191lbs due because of all the food we could eat. Let me tell you running was a lot easier for the dudes that weighed 140-160lbs. That 30 pounds makes a big difference.
Old 08-10-2011, 4:10 PM
Veteran Member

I'm 6ft 3 and 215, i dont like to run...but i have to so i still incorporate into my fitness program
Old 08-22-2011, 8:24 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I got turned off by a snooty AF recruiter and joined the Army instead, but this was more than 13 years ago. I enjoyed the Army, but the AF guys seemed to have it a bit better.
Old 08-22-2011, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

BTW, juice feasting is NOT starving yourself. Starving is technically defined as eating less than 800 calories per day. If you eat anywhere between 800 (very low still) and 1800 calories per day of fruits and vegetables you are still restricting calories just like any other weight loss diet.

Also a word of advise from a fellow fat-body: don't go into basic training just barely making weight. You will be sorry. This is where I think the Army standards are too loose compared to the Marines. If you are 5'10" just making the cut at 184 pounds, you are still kind of on the big side.

Even if it is all muscle, weight is weight. You want to be closer to the middle/light end of your weight bracket. The "ideal" weight, IMHO is between 155-165lbs. Think about it: If you're 184lbs that's still 25-35 lbs of extra weight that you have to lug around, why suffer? I came in at 184lbs on the dot. And I can tell you, compared to me all the dudes who weighed 155-165 pounds had a much easier time on the running portion of the APFT, or just running in general. Also it helps with pushups and pullups being that light.

Fat guys always do good on situps, I don't know why that is. We seem to be able to knock out 90 of those *****es, yet barely pass pushups and running.

Last edited by Army GI; 08-22-2011 at 9:22 AM..
Old 08-22-2011, 9:27 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
BTW, juice feasting is NOT starving yourself. Starving is technically defined as eating less than 800 calories per day. If you eat anywhere between 800 (very low still) and 1800 calories per day of fruits and vegetables you are still restricting calories just like any other weight loss diet.

Also a word of advise from a fellow fat-body: don't go into basic training just barely making weight. You will be sorry. This is where I think the Army standards are too loose compared to the Marines. If you are 5'10" just making the cut at 184 pounds, you are still kind of on the big side.

Even if it is all muscle, weight is weight. You want to be closer to the middle/light end of your weight bracket. The "ideal" weight, IMHO is between 155-165lbs. Think about it: If you're 184lbs that's still 25-35 lbs of extra weight that you have to lug around, why suffer? I came in at 184lbs on the dot. And I can tell you, compared to me all the dudes who weighed 155-165 pounds had a much easier time on the running portion of the APFT, or just running in general. Also it helps with pushups and pullups being that light.

Fat guys always do good on situps, I don't know why that is. We seem to be able to knock out 90 of those *****es, yet barely pass pushups and running.
+1. BCT is just that much tougher when you are a roly poly and the Drill Sergeant's get ahold of you. The smoke sessions the first few weeks will be torture.
Old 08-22-2011, 9:55 AM
Veteran Member

Don't sign anything on your first trip to MEPs, see the options and remember the recruiters there can lie! I would compare recruiters at MEPS to used car salesmen, then again I didn't have the most positive experience knowing what I do now.

OIF 07-09 Veteran
NRA Endowment Member, CRPA Life Member
Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:

thank you for the info, I better get skinny
Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 AM

Whatever happened to the recruiters I remember.....they were so hot to fill quotas the would come by your apartment and get you started with PT, always calling and trying to get you to sign on the dotted line...... Do they all the sudden have a surplus of soldiers....?
Old 08-24-2011, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesbox View Post
Whatever happened to the recruiters I remember.....they were so hot to fill quotas the would come by your apartment and get you started with PT, always calling and trying to get you to sign on the dotted line...... Do they all the sudden have a surplus of soldiers....?
I'm not really sure...

either way, I need to lose weight, but getting started seems like the hard part....
Old 08-24-2011, 6:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not really sure...

either way, I need to lose weight, but getting started seems like the hard part....
Getting started is a hard part, but also keeping your diet/exercise is hard too. Just focus and stick to the plan. No doubt its hard working out and not being able to eat all the delicious unhealthy food. But trust me, you'll feel much better when your in shape. Buy a treadmill though, i bought one and it is the BEST thing i have ever bought. Helps a lot and is not too hard on your joints.
Old 08-24-2011, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuerno_de_Chivo View Post
Getting started is a hard part, but also keeping your diet/exercise is hard too. Just focus and stick to the plan. No doubt its hard working out and not being able to eat all the delicious unhealthy food. But trust me, you'll feel much better when your in shape. Buy a treadmill though, i bought one and it is the BEST thing i have ever bought. Helps a lot and is not too hard on your joints.
thank you.

I'm realy working on myself, i need to get it done
Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
thank you.

I'm realy working on myself, i need to get it done
Dew Eet

I started out at 260 in June and I'm down to 240. Only 60 more pounds to go for me.

Its hard & you'll probably break the rules a few times (I have), but you'll quickly feel ashamed of yourself and get back on track.

I've spent the last 5 years (I'm 23) putting the military on the back burner and feel like I wasted my time. Don't wait any longer or you'll regret it.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 AM

before i deployed i was 212. i dropped to 190. i got 2 more months to reach my target weight of 180. water and motivation to exercise (not formation exercise) is the key. i eat the same way i did before i left, except i don't get seconds and no caffine. good luck buddy
The 45 ACP trail eventually leads to 1911 ownership.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Dude, diet is like 90% of any health/fitness program. It doesn't matter how hardcore your workout is if you eat too much, or nothing but crap. There is an old saying bodybuilders go by, "A good physique is made in the kitchen."
Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Dropping weight is a difficult challenge. The older you get the harder it is to do. So do it now while you are still young.
Old 08-25-2011, 7:27 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=470524

Thank you guys, I'm working on it. Went to the gym today, worked out and signed for a personal trainer, 6 sessions. I am planning on going 5 times a week. I need to watch my diet like you guys said. Grilled chicken, no rice anymore or bread. I need to buy more fruit and eat more often. I drink diet coke and beer, gonna stop drinking diet coke and cut down on beer.
Old 08-25-2011, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

It all boils down to how much you really want it.
Old 08-25-2011, 7:37 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Good luck to ya, buddy.
I must have missed it but how old are you and what MOSs are you looking at?
Old 08-25-2011, 7:40 PM

Quote:
It all boils down to how much you really want it.
Very very true and I want it a lot. I will get it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
Good luck to ya, buddy.
I must have missed it but how old are you and what MOSs are you looking at?

22, been thinking about joining for the last 2 years.
I wanna do MP or Cavalary Scout in the Army, but it all depends on my tests.
I'm pretty nervous about that as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 7:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

At 22, you'll be the old man in your BCT unit. I was 23 when I joined up after college.
The ASVAB is very easy so no need to worry.
Old 08-25-2011, 7:50 PM

Quote:
At 22, you'll be the old man in your BCT unit. I was 23 when I joined up after college.
The ASVAB is very easy so no need to worry.
Well lol that's alright. I am gonna be 23 when I drop this weight.
Is it your career still or how did you go about that?
Old 08-25-2011, 7:55 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Oh no, I got out a while back. Great memories and even better friendships (the best part). Note that you will see a lot of stupid stuff. Let it go.

Your age will be an asset, especially if you've already been to college. You'll rank higher and be placed in a position of responsibility right away (squad leader or platoon leader). All the advice you've heard here is good. Be in shape when you arrive and relax, enjoy it. It'll be over before you know it.
Old 08-25-2011, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Oh no, I got out a while back. Great memories and even better friendships (the best part). Note that you will see a lot of stupid stuff. Let it go.

Your age will be an asset, especially if you've already been to college. You'll rank higher and be placed in a position of responsibility right away (squad leader or platoon leader). All the advice you've heard here is good. Be in shape when you arrive and relax, enjoy it. It'll be over before you know it.
Thank you for the I put !
Old 08-25-2011, 8:56 PM

Quote:
It really depends how your family views things. My dad could of cared less, but my mom about died on my first deployment. On my secound deployment, I just said I was going back to Korea an none was the wiser.