Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Default Egyptian FN49

hoi lads,

question for you all:

what would you say is the going rate for a cherry looking, nicely parkerized relatively early edition egyption 8mm FN49 from belgium?
"If the American Left wanted to decrease interest in shooting, they should have the government make it mandatory like they do here in Switzerland. Nothing makes you not want to do something like when the government makes you do it."
Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Original stock? The last one sold here for a pretty good deal of around 600 -
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

I agree 600-800 seems to be the going rate for original ones. Exceptional condition will go higher.

You should also look at the Hakim. Not as pretty but a nice shooter in the same caliber for less money.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-03-2011, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsche View Post
hoi lads,

question for you all:

what would you say is the going rate for a cherry looking, nicely parkerized relatively early edition egyption 8mm FN49 from belgium?
A nice Century refurb as you describe would probably range from $600 to $700. A original rifle would be twice that amount at least.

The parkerized finish indicated it's probably a Century Arms made or rearsenaled rifle. Original FN made rifles had a black paint finish and walnut stocks. Some of the Century rifles will also have the original walnut stocks, however most will have a beech stock with a walnut stain. In addition some Earlier Century rifles will have the original brass butt plated the later ones will have a black plastic butt plate.

If the stock has the brass disc picture below it's definitely a original stock. No disc indicates it's a Century replacement. Any other disc is not original.

The top rifle in the below pic is a early Century refurb rifle. It has the original brass butt plate. The bottom rifle is an original FN made rifle.

Additionally all original FN made rifles and most Century refurbs will have the crown crest as in the first photo below. If it has a Eagle crest as in the second photo it is a Century made rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 08-03-2011, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Great rifle. Go for it.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 PM

SVT, outstanding information and thank you very much!

Well, i won the auction! Its definitely, based on your info, a Century rebuild. It looks from the pics to be similar in quality to the one in your photos.

again, thanks so much!

glennsche

"If the American Left wanted to decrease interest in shooting, they should have the government make it mandatory like they do here in Switzerland. Nothing makes you not want to do something like when the government makes you do it."
Old 08-04-2011, 4:45 AM
Florida Cracker
CGN Contributor

I agree on 600-800 for a real nice one. Warning do not shoot Turkish in the FN-49 or the Hakim if you get one may go boom.

Cherry ones will have matching numbers on bolt, receiver, and bolt cover as well as inside stock handguard, if I remember all the locations. Egyptians are the most prolific with 35,000 or more made. Belgian, Luxembourg, Venezuelans, and argentinian go fro much more in good condition upwards of $1,500.

If you are looking for a bayonet for an FN49 pm me I have one left over from mine I sold another calgun member. These are great rifles fun to shoot.

NRA Life Member since 1978
NRA Endowment Member since 2016

Last edited by hk91666; 08-04-2011 at 4:51 AM..
Old 08-04-2011, 6:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was looking at that one, almost bid. There were less eagle crests than crown right? And they were only century imports?
Old 08-05-2011, 3:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Man those are sexy rifles.
Old 08-05-2011, 6:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Congrats on the new rifle - Now there are other variants out there - So go get em -
Old 08-05-2011, 9:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsche View Post
SVT, outstanding information and thank you very much!

Well, i won the auction! Its definitely, based on your info, a Century rebuild. It looks from the pics to be similar in quality to the one in your photos.

again, thanks so much!

glennsche

Yeah looks like yours is a earlier Century rifle as it has the brass butt plate. It looks like a nice one congrats.

One work of caution if you try to "improve" the stock by sanding the very light colored beech will show through, so I would strongly suggest if you do anything to the stock, just use some BLO.

Happy shooting!!

Quote:
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 08-05-2011, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
I was looking at that one, almost bid. There were less eagle crests than crown right? And they were only century imports?
The Eagle of Saladin crested rifles were never assembled at the FN plant in Belgium. The receivers were made in Belgium and shipped to Egypt, however never used or assembled there. When Century bought out Egypt's existing FN-49 rifles and spare parts the Eagle crested receivers were included.

Here in the US Century used spare parts and assembled eagle receivers into complete rifles.

So really they are an anomaly, as they truly never existed in rifle form before they came to Century.

Still a interesting variant one must have if you collect FN-49 rifles. According to the books published on the matter there were approx 1,500 Eagle receivers obtained by Century.

Quote:

Old 08-06-2011, 8:59 AM

Do you know a source for the recoil springs for these? I bent one and am having a hard time finding a replacement. I have the two spring model.
Old 08-06-2011, 9:42 AM
Florida Cracker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Register View Post
Do you know a source for the recoil springs for these? I bent one and am having a hard time finding a replacement. I have the two spring model.
Numerich has the one spring models check them

http://www.gunpartscorp.com

NRA Life Member since 1978
NRA Endowment Member since 2016