Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-02-2011, 1:09 PM

Default Multi-tool for AR

Guys what is a good compact multi-tool to throw in your bag. I would think a couple screw driver bits, knife, pliers, etc

I found this but its really tailored for crimson trace http://www.crkt.com/8975
Old 08-02-2011, 1:11 PM

have you taken your AR apart?

which part requires tools?
Old 08-02-2011, 1:12 PM
Vendor/Retailer

leatherman mut
Deland, FL 32724
Phone 386-490-4464
fax 386-490-4890
Old 08-02-2011, 1:14 PM

I should have been more clear not so much for taking the AR apart i already have the spanner wrench etc, but more of a multi-purpose tool for just about anything.

Ill look into leatherman thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

The only tools you actual need for a standard AR are a stock wrench and a handguard removal tool and you only need those for assembly and maybe a six month or anual overhaul. The rest can be broken down without the use of tools. You can completely strip down the AR including the bolt and carrier with only the charging handle (with the exception of the castle nut on the carbine stocks).

If you added all kinds of aftermarket parts you might need and allen wrench set or a the similar wrench with the five little points on the head shaped like a star. It just depends on what type of screws those aftermarket parts such as the Magpul BAD Lever or your Scope Rings use. I try and buy as much throw lever type stuff as I can so I can avoid the need for additional tools.

I have a Leatherman tool in all my rigs. But the only time it has ever been used on my AR is for sight adjustment. An allen wrench works best on the front sight adjustment, but a bullet will do. My aftermarket rear sight from Troy works best with the flat head screwdrive on my Leatherman tool. In a pinch I could probably make the edge of a spent casing work.

FYI I tried to find you a YouTube video of somebody using on the charging handle to strip down an AR15, but all the videos I could find had the guys using punches and other totally uneccessary stuff. When available I use that stuff too. It keeps you from scratching your charging handle. But it is not necessary to have all those tools. It is actually pretty impressive to see somebody strip and AR using just the charging handle for the first time. Every edge and end gets used. Looks like a magic show!

Last edited by tacticalcity; 08-02-2011 at 1:30 PM..
Old 08-02-2011, 1:21 PM

I found this and i think im going to purchase on of these bad boys, nice little compact setup which has quite a lot of things that might be useful.

http://www.swisstechtools.com/products.aspx
Old 08-02-2011, 1:32 PM

i saw one at the SJ gun show that was about a foot long.. and had EVERY different hole, tool, ratchet, thing u could ever need. try walking around guns shows. lotsa neat things that could come in handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourLoko View Post
have you taken your AR apart?

which part requires tools?