Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-10-2007, 9:12 PM

Default Lee 1000 Progressive Reloader

What's the deal with this kit? I'm starting out and looking for some reviews.
Old 01-11-2007, 7:56 AM

I started with a Lee Challenger press. I think its advisable to learn on a single stage than jump into a progressive right away. What calibers are you trying to reload? Precision rifle or handgun plinking stuff?
Old 01-11-2007, 9:26 AM

I will be reloading .45, .223, and maybe 54R. I will be loading 9mm in the future as well. Currently I will using the ammo for plinking, but I may be looking into precision rounds.
Old 01-11-2007, 9:56 AM

I've being using the PRO-1000 to load 9mm and .45 plinking round for a long time (estimated 50k combined for both caliber). Not the best loader in the world, but it would get the job done. Things I learned:

1. Lee's auto disk powder measure sometimes will have powder flowing problem. Loading 9mm is usually okay because round does not require a lot of powder; when loading .45, sometimes the powder didnt' measure right then you have a few rounds that does not have enough powder. It's not going to be squib load, but you sure will notice.

2. You have to constantly tap the primer tray to make sure the primer is being dropped down the ramp. If you don't, Primer may be pressed into primer pocket side-ways or not even being loaded at all.

3. Since there are no warning feature before you ran out of powder, you need to check from time to time so you don't produce a batch of squib loads.

4. The carrier on the bottom is not the strongest stuff (Cast steel?). I have broke one of the carrier before...

For the price, it's not a bad deal; once you learn how to use it, you can load pretty quick (300-400rds of 9mm/hr). However, if you do have the $$$, pay more and get a RCBS or Dillion.
Old 01-11-2007, 1:05 PM

I've been using mine for a month or so, so far just loading 454 casull and 357 mag, which are both pretty easy and straightforward. I first with a Lee Autoprime, and I charge the cases by hand with dippers and a scale, so I'm pretty much using the press as a fancy single stager, except for seating and roll crimping, which I do in sequence.
Old 01-11-2007, 1:25 PM

Ive been using one for years too. Its good for the price.

For the primer tray, I put a piece of tape on top so it would stop popping open when I tap it to make sure primers flow properly.

Buy the autoprime tool.

You need to keep the loader clean and not overly lubricated. Plus be careful with the plastic gears and other plastic parts. They break easy and wear over time.

When mine is working right, I can easily crank out 300 or more rounds per hour.
Old 01-11-2007, 8:16 PM

If you have ANY mechanical aptitude at all, you should be fine starting with a good quality progressive press. This is really not brain surgery . I would stick with a dillon or RCBS if you can, though. I am not impressed with anything from Lee.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRRR-15
I will be reloading .45, .223, and maybe 54R. I will be loading 9mm in the future as well. Currently I will using the ammo for plinking, but I may be looking into precision rounds.
I don't think the Lee 1000 will reload 54R...It is mostly a pistol press, but it will do some shorter rifle rounds like the 223 and the 7.62x39.

I have a Lee loadmaster progressive...it's an OK press. I can easily crank out 400-450 rounds an hour of pistol rounds. I don't regret buying it...the main thing that drew me to the LEE presses is the cost of a caliber change is much cheaper than the other presses.

Even though the plastic pieces do wear and break occasionally...they are easily replaced and are super cheap. For $10 you could have enough replacement parts to last you 20 years.

Plus....you CAN load match ammo on a progressive...I reload 308 on mine for my M1a Loaded model (match barrel) and believe it or not, the ammo is good for 1/2 to 3/4 MOA (Thats saying ALOT when your talking about a M1a!). Federal Gold metal Match ammo 175 SMK's only do 3/4-1 MOA out of the same rifle.

But...that all being said....would I rather have a Dillon or other progressive? YES! But this press was an easy easy way to get into progressive loading for cheap.....Someday I'll probably upgrade though.
Old 01-12-2007, 9:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Had nothing but trouble with mine
Particularly the primer feed, The case feed was a great idea but failed for cheap design. It constantly jammed. Same for the bullet feeder
Save your $$ for a Dillon

Lee makes a great turret press, I loaded thousands of rounds of 45 ACP & 44 Mag on one Lee makes good dies and good bullet molds but they just make terrible progressives.
YMMV, but everyone I know who wanted progressive reloaders ended up getting Dillons. Dillon makes the best progressive reloaders, Period
Save yourself the frustration and just get the Dillon now