Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 PM

Default Sawed-off shotgun / "any other weapon"

Hi all. I'm relatively new to California, and not sure what are the laws governing sawed-off shotguns here. I'd like to have a home-defense shotgun with either a very short barrel or cut down to a pistol grip. What is the deal with AOW? Is there a definitive CA publication or court ruling on the subject?

Also, while we're on the subject... is it true the Judge type 410 revolvers are illegal in CA? What about 45 ACP shotshell ammo in a CA-legal 45 revolver?

Thanks in advance for your expert responses.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp5 View Post
Hi all. I'm relatively new to California, and not sure what are the laws governing sawed-off shotguns here. I'd like to have a home-defense shotgun with either a very short barrel or cut down to a pistol grip. What is the deal with AOW? Is there a definitive CA publication or court ruling on the subject?

Also, while we're on the subject... is it true the Judge type 410 revolvers are illegal in CA? What about 45 ACP shotshell ammo in a CA-legal 45 revolver?

Thanks in advance for your expert responses.
A Saw off shot gun is illegal you can still put a pistol grip on a normal shot gun if you like. The Judge 45 long colt or 410 shot gun is illegal because handgun style shot guns are illegal . A Snake shot is not consented a shotgun so it would be legal . I will tell there is a type of loop hole to set up a firearm trust that you will be required to get a tax stamp for a SBR type not SBR . I'm not sure the correct name. You can contact OC armory and they may explain how the trust us set up.

Last edited by WTSGDYBBR; 07-31-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 PM

So how about this?
http://www.gunpundit.com/2007/mossberg_jic_52340.jpg

That's legal in CA or no, without stock just pistol grip? Is there a minimum barrel length requirement for shotguns, as with rifles?

I see "pistol" ARs and AKs for sale publicly here in CA, including what appear to be <16" barrels. So I am assuming once something is a "pistol" the barrel length requirement for long guns no longer applies, is that correct? Does this logic apply to shotguns as well, or no?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 11:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So how about this?
http://www.gunpundit.com/2007/mossberg_jic_52340.jpg

That's legal in CA or no, without stock just pistol grip? Is there a minimum barrel length requirement for shotguns, as with rifles?

I see "pistol" ARs and AKs for sale publicly here in CA, including what appear to be <16" barrels. So I am assuming once something is a "pistol" the barrel length requirement for long guns no longer applies, is that correct? Does this logic apply to shotguns as well, or no?

Thanks
I believe that would be considered AOW

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 07-31-2011, 11:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The shotgun in the picture you linked to appears to be legal. The overall length for legal possesion is 18.5 and that is measured from the back of where the shell sits when chambered, to the tip of the barrel.

The pistol grip is fine as long as it is a pump action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.
Old 08-01-2011, 5:38 AM
short bus driver

Default In regards to shotguns...

In order to be CA legal...

... a shotgun needs to have a barrel length greater than 18" and an overall length greater than 26". [PC 12020(c)(1)]
... a semi-auto shotgun can not accept detachable magazines. [PC 12276.1(a)(7)]
... a semi-auto shotgun can not have both a folding/extending stock and a pistol grip or a vertical forward grip. [PC 12276.1(a)(6)]
... a shotgun can not have a revolving cylinder. [PC 12276.1(a)(8)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 08-01-2011 at 5:46 AM..
Old 08-01-2011, 5:54 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
What is the deal with AOW? Is there a definitive CA publication or court ruling on the subject?
Any Other Weapon (AOW) are defined by Federal laws/regulations.

CA law [PC 12020(b)(8)] allows for the legally possession of a BATFE approved AOW (except for pen guns).
So, once the BATFE approves your Form 1 or 4 for an AOW, you can legally own it in CA.

AOWs are not exempt from CA's assault weapon laws and large capacity magazine laws.
So, your AOW must be configured to conform with the above laws.

Quote:
The Taurus Judge, S&W Governor, Bond Arms .45LC/.410 derringers, Thompson Center .45LC/.410 pistols and any other .45LC/.410 chambered handgun is considered a Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS) under CA laws [PC 12020(c)(1)]. Therefore, they are illegal in CA.

.22LR, .38Special, 9x19mm, .45ACP, etc. shotshell are not shotgun shells. Therefore, their use in handguns do not make the handguns a SBS.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 08-01-2011, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

check out OC Armory
http://ocarmory.com/
i believe you'll have to join a trust.

just some of what they have.
Old 08-01-2011, 2:26 PM
Calguns Addict

EBR Rifle Works, and OC Armory have what you're looking for. Check them out if youre ever in the OC Area.