Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-28-2011, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Any teachers here in the National Guard/Reserves?

Is anyone here a teacher who serves with the National Guard or Reserves? I've been kicking around the idea of joining forever and I'm not getting any younger. I'm 29 and want to serve and know the clock is ticking. I'm currently a teacher and wonder how that impacted other teachers who joined since I'm assuming you'll have to be gone for at least part of the school year.

Anyone have any insights or advice on how this impacts your employment with the school district if you have to miss part of the year?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Not a teacher, but maybe you can investigate a little and find a unit that does their 2 weeks during the summer (mine does).

As a reservist you go in KNOWING your unit, and commanders before you even go to Basic. Also, I essentially know my drill schedule 12 months ahead of time.

So all you would have to do is find the units you are interested and ask to see their drill schedule.

Also, as a reservist you have some latitude in when you can make up any missed drill days. In fact my unit apparently is pretty crazy and has two separate 2 week training stints. We don’t have to go to both of them (in fact they really don’t allow us because of costs).

So if you want it bad enough I don’t see what would conflict with your teaching job (outside of a deployment).

My biggest pain was getting time off work to go through MEPS and take all the testing and jumping through hoops. If you have time now DO IT while you can in the summer ASAP.
Old 07-29-2011, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post

Anyone have any insights or advice on how this impacts your employment with the school district if you have to miss part of the year?
As a member of the Military you are protected against employer retaliation, in accordance with Federal Law..

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 07-29-2011 at 4:14 PM..
Old 07-30-2011, 1:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post
As a member of the Military you are protected against employer retaliation, in accordance with Federal Law..
So if I join and ship off mid school year, they can't do anything about it? When I get back, I get my job back without question under the same terms?
Old 07-31-2011, 8:25 AM

Everyone is always quick to reference USERRA (the aforementioned federal law) in these situations. While it does provide great protection for reservists, I think some reservists have a false sense of "immunity". I woud encourage you to google and review some case law under USERRA. The good thing is you work for a government entity, which tend to follow the regulations a little better than the private sector. Keep in mind however, that some sections of USERRA only apply to the federal employees, not state and local government employees (ie - RIF's, which seem to be hitting bay area agencies hard lately). Just my 2 cents. Generally, I would think a teacher's schedule would compliment a reserve career quite well. You could do most of your training and AT's during the summer. A few reservist teachers I knew spent most of their summers on extended ATs or ADSW and sumplemented their income very nicely.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 AM

My old 1st Sgt. is a teacher. he was at every training i was at so im assuming he didnt have any problems.

Crashbubba is right though, you should really look into your own jobs SOP's and regs. I was pretty lucky that my company itself (as well as my union) offered its own protection for active duty and reservists, but i think some jobs may be different. for example, if you get deployed because its your units rotation for deployment, you may be covered, but if you VOLUNTEER for deployment outside your unit, you MAY NOT be covered... its kinda jacked up, but i have seen stuff like that happen.
Old 08-03-2011, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
Is anyone here a teacher who serves with the National Guard or Reserves? I've been kicking around the idea of joining forever and I'm not getting any younger. I'm 29 and want to serve and know the clock is ticking. I'm currently a teacher and wonder how that impacted other teachers who joined since I'm assuming you'll have to be gone for at least part of the school year.

You are my twin! I'm 28 and a teacher that has been thinking about the same thing too. I was looking at my teaching contract and the only thing mentioned about military leave was that it "shall be provided in accordance with statutory provisions." What that specifically means in the context of my district, I have no idea. There is a teacher I know at my school that has been in the reserves for years, and I guess it has worked out for him. Other than a deployment, it seems like getting the initial training completed would be the most time consuming aspect. I have been thinking about Army National Guard infantry, and if you do the combined basic and AIT, it is something like 15 weeks long total, which is way longer than summer break. I don't know if it is possible to split those up. If so, I suppose one could theoretically complete all of basic during the summer, assuming one started right after school got out and finished the moment school started, but that schedule miracle seems highly unlikely. Once I was in, are there opportunities to do some extended trainings beyond the regular 2 weeks during the summer, or even short deployments? I'll keep my eye on this thread, as I am also very interested in any more insight from those that really know the scoop.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
My old 1st Sgt. is a teacher. he was at every training i was at so im assuming he didnt have any problems.

Crashbubba is right though, you should really look into your own jobs SOP's and regs. I was pretty lucky that my company itself (as well as my union) offered its own protection for active duty and reservists, but i think some jobs may be different. for example, if you get deployed because its your units rotation for deployment, you may be covered, but if you VOLUNTEER for deployment outside your unit, you MAY NOT be covered... its kinda jacked up, but i have seen stuff like that happen.
My understanding as well is that volunteering can waive some of the rights you have. But if the command runs it through properly it wont be an actual volunteer.. Some places will ask "who would be available for deployment from X-Y" so not as much of a volunteer, your still picked to go as far as orders/legal side goes...

Its also my understanding, that if a manning decrease happens when your gone, the USERRA holds little weight if your position was eliminated as part of a broader downsizing. Thats one of the few "tricks" that a company could do to get rid of a Guard/Reservist.
For the OP, I dont imagine they would have reason to fire you mid school year, but at end if your one of the many districts that are giving out pink slips you might have a higher chance of being in that group then otherwise. Probably no way to prove that as any sort of retaliation though...

Matt
Old 08-04-2011, 9:10 AM
CGN Contributor

unfortuantley, Annual Training doesn't always fall in the Summer. We've done February through May, and even October.
Old 08-04-2011, 9:52 AM

oops, replied to wrong thread
Old 08-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

My high school Econ teacher signed up with the USAR. He went to AIT during summer break. It gives you some fun stories to tell your students...that guy was a riot.