Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-27-2011, 8:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Yugo M70 Barrel

I just finished my first Yugo kit. The barrel looks great on the the breach end with strong rifling but on the muzzle end it is spent. Bullet test is bad and I had to cut off the slant brake.

I have been looking for a Zastava factory replaceable barrel but can't find one. Anyone have a source for one?

How about a good quality US alternative? I figure there is always Green Mountain but after my RPK barrel issues I am a little turned off of them at the moment.

I am also considering getting a handful of Yugo surplus barrels from Centerfire Systems and crossing my fingers that I get a good one. Has anyone got any of these barrels? How many did you buy and how many were good?

Thanks,

-JP
Old 07-27-2011, 8:52 PM
www.Buildyourownak.info
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Get the Green Mountain one.
I had to change the barrel out on my M-70AB re-weld, and the GM barrel shoots like this>>>
10 @ 50 yards just resting on the mag, and hand held

Green Mountain is the only US made barrel I would use if I couldn't find a Combloc one.
Old 07-27-2011, 9:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoroshi View Post
Get the Green Mountain one.
How much fitting did you need to do?

I just got the GM RPK barrel and it is a train wreck. Every journal was off accept the bipod. Some had to be turned down. Others were knurled, hit with a pipe cutter and still aren't tall enough so I have to sleeve them.

-JP
Old 07-27-2011, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

That really suck that you had problems with your GM RPK barrel.
I had two that went together with no real hang-ups.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 PM

I bought a bunch of the barrels from Centerfire to use for pistol builds and all of them were fine. They were dirty but I sprayed some gun scrubber in them and attached a cleaning brush to my drill and 30 seconds later they were clean. I would suggest buying a few and pick the best ones. I bought mine when they had them 3 for $25.

Last edited by chiz; 07-27-2011 at 10:50 PM..
Old 07-28-2011, 12:16 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp View Post
How much fitting did you need to do?

I just got the GM RPK barrel and it is a train wreck. Every journal was off accept the bipod. Some had to be turned down. Others were knurled, hit with a pipe cutter and still aren't tall enough so I have to sleeve them.

-JP
I've only heard good things about Green Mountain RPK barrels so far, you may have gotten a barrel that didn't get the QC it should have. I would have sent that barrel back and asked for a replacement. I've found their customer service very good so far. When they sent me the wrong part number for my my two M70s, they gave me the option of refunding me on return of the barrels, or replacement with the right part number or alternatively a free AK barrel if I could make the barrels work for me. I chose the free AK barrel and made them work. The two "problems" for sending the part numbers they sent were gas port angle was 90 instead of 45 degrees and they were not parkerized, though for my purposes in-the-white was better since I plan to coat them, not parkerize them.

R
Old 07-28-2011, 4:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can find virgin yugo barrels every now and then. The extractor relief is not cut so by virgin, they have nothing done except the outside contour. They run about 100 bucks usually. The Green Mountain ones are suppose to be pretty good though. I am currently putting one on my yugo build. I believe they are chrome lined and have the handguard notch and extractor cut already
Kevin

Last edited by Sicarius; 07-28-2011 at 4:15 PM..
Old 07-28-2011, 4:59 PM
www.Buildyourownak.info
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
You can find virgin yugo barrels every now and then. The extractor relief is not cut so by virgin, they have nothing done except the outside contour. They run about 100 bucks usually. The Green Mountain ones are suppose to be pretty good though. I am currently putting one on my yugo build. I believe they are chrome lined and have the handguard notch and extractor cut already
Kevin
Yes, Chrome lined.
Extractor cut done, and gas port drilled.

Everything on mine was the correct size except barrel journal, and FSB which needed mild knurling.
Easy fix, and been running well on that rifle ever since.
Old 07-29-2011, 7:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks guys. I need to test fire the build. I have decided I will see how it shoots before I start a replacement effort.

I will keep my ear to the ground for a factory barrel and maybe post a WTB but if nothing comes of it I will go with GM.

-JP
Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

All the GM barreled Yugo RPK's and M70's I've done have been a perfect fit. I think you guys with the Romy kits got the short end of the (boom)stick.

I have some of the $15 CF barrels coming Monday. JP your welcome to come check out the supply.

Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Sometimes, arguing just for the sake of arguing, can be fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
no it can't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
YES IT CAN!
"Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"
Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccobro View Post
All the GM barreled Yugo RPK's and M70's I've done have been a perfect fit. I think you guys with the Romy kits got the short end of the (boom)stick.

I have some of the $15 CF barrels coming Monday. JP your welcome to come check out the supply.

Justin
Thanks Justin. The build head spaces out no problem and it is only the last 2-3 inches of barrel that looks bad. I am going to shoot it to see how bad it is.

Regardless I will take you up on the offer to check out the barrels I am just not sure when. I think I would like to coordinate that with getting some time on your lathe.

Drop me a line when you have the barrels on hand.

-JP
Old 07-31-2011, 2:53 PM

I'm about to order a few M70 barrels from CF too.
Old 07-31-2011, 3:09 PM

I do have some of the virgin Yugo M70 barrels that Centerfire was selling a few years back. I bought them at the same time that I bought my M70 parts kits thinking the original barrels would be shot out.
The good news was that the kits had like new barrels and I did not need the virgin replacements.

If anyone wants a M70 virgin barrel I will sell mine for $100 each. They need to have the hand guard notches cut and the extractor relief needs to be cut.