Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-25-2011, 7:17 PM

Default Glock 17

I got an interesting dilemma. I am relatively a novice shooter and my first gun was a Glock 17. Anyway, my skills have improved over the months and I get a nice tight grouping on the target when I shoot. Well, here is the dilemma, I started noticing that I shoot relatively low even when my sight picture is the “standard” six o clock hold sight picture, e.g. an inch to several inches low depending on how far I was standing and shooting at my target. So initially when it happened, I dismissed it as maybe lack of trigger control, flinching, etc. and diligently practiced dry fire, put the casing on the tip of the gun and more dry firing, etc. So after diligently practicing for few weeks, I went out to the shooting range again and started at 10 yds, 15 yds. I would warm up by shooting at head (NRA Police silhouette - the ones with the 7 ring), right around the center of the “head” and shot off around 20 rounds and guess what? They all ended up in a nice grouping but around the neck area, everyone kind of laughed, at least if you encounter a burglar you get him one way or the other, lol.

Anyway, with humor aside, this kind of discouraged me a bit, after all that practice, am I not capable of shooting correctly? I mean, I am the last guy to blame anything on the equipment but after encountering similar situations on subsequent outings, I got bit frustrated. What the heck am I doing wrong??? So I asked my pistol instructor to see if he can shoot couple of rounds on my gun, he is a very qualified shooter/instructor and guess what? Yep, he was shooting low just like me and he was bit surprised. Couple of assistant instructors looked at the gun and the sight and they came to similar conclusions.

There was some relief to finally realize that it wasn’t entirely my fault, it was the gun, or specifically maybe the sight. The Glock 17 has fixed sights so I am wondering what my options are? I already asked the instructor and he said you can try to send it off to Glock and see what they can do, which may or may not take a while and it doesn’t necessary guarantee your issues will be resolved or the other option is going to a Glock armorer who can install new sights and adjust it accordingly.

Now mind you, I am not knocking the Glock, in fact, I found the Glock to be a very nice gun to shoot, my groupings were good be it few inches below the intended target and it is a pleasure to own and shoot a Glock as my first gun, I guess it was my bad luck to get that one Glock with a minor issue. And no, I never dropped it or abused it in any way to create this issue, not to mention the fact that it was a brand new Glock when I got it. For now, I am compensating the targeting issue by aiming at the middle of the target or even slightly higher instead of using the standard six o clock hold sight picture, that seems to help.
Old 07-25-2011, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

Have you tried different ammo?
Old 07-25-2011, 7:29 PM

Do you know anyone with a bore sight laser so that you can compare the point of aim to the actual barrel?

I have bought the "laser ammo" from the glock store. I also bought the bore sight cap to help me learn the same.
Old 07-25-2011, 7:41 PM

You can file down the front sight to raise your point of impact. A plastic front sight for a Glock can be had for about 5 bucks, so if you mess it up or later find out it was you and not the gun, you can just replace the sight. You can very easily replace the front sight yourself, just shell out a few more bucks for a front sight tool.
Old 07-25-2011, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have access to another handgun? Try shooting a different pistol and see what happens. If you hit in the same spot I would say it is you.

Try different types of ammo as well.

I will say this. You are going to have a little trouble trying to switch to a different type of handgun if you have only shot and handled a glock. The grip and grip angle of the glock is quit different than most other handgun companies, It does not naturally point like say a 1911 or similar pistol.
Old 07-25-2011, 8:13 PM

thank you for the responses. Given that few of the instructors did shoot the gun and they had the same result as me, I am fairly certain it is the gun. In regards to the ammo, are you talking about different brand or are you referring more about the grain, I do use a 115 grain ammo, remington.
Old 07-25-2011, 9:36 PM

Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but at a closer distance, some times you need to compensate by aiming a bit higher.

Example: If you point your gun up against a wall, your barrel will be position at a lower point than what your sight picture says your pointing.

I don't know if i made any sense.

“The more you train in peace, the less you bleed in war.” -Howard Wadsin

F/S: Glock|Full OEM FDE|G17 Gen 4|[SF Bay Area|San Jose]