Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-25-2011, 7:49 AM
Banned

Question Blocking your caller ID... Doesn't always work...

I have my cell number "blocked" so that it shows as "private" or "unknown" when I call people.

Yet, when I call my ISP or my bank the automatic phone systems are able to see right through the "block" and instantly know the number I am calling from.

I have always been curious as to what device/technology these companies are using to rip my caller ID off...

Any LEO's or anyone else know much about this?

I know I have had plenty of LEO's give me call backs from blocked/private number cell phones so I am guessing they are in the same boat.
Old 07-25-2011, 7:52 AM

If you have a smart phone I would suggest getting a google voice number to strictly use for private calls if you feel that your personal line's number may be compromised.
Old 07-25-2011, 7:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankyle62 View Post
If you have a smart phone I would suggest getting a google voice number to strictly use for private calls if you feel that your personal line's number may be compromised.
I do have a google voice number, I am just curious about the technology involved with caller ID, blocking it, & unblocking it.
Old 07-25-2011, 8:08 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

It is a program which strips the bits from the caller ID which marks it as private and then rebuilds the datastream without the data indicating it is private. After this script is run, it puts the data back onto the call and presto... you get to see who is calling. Oh, and you could also have a little note that indicates the original caller tried to hide their Caller ID info. Neat huh?

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 07-25-2011, 8:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
It is a program which strips the bits from the caller ID which marks it as private and then rebuilds the datastream without the data indicating it is private. After this script is run, it puts the data back onto the call and presto... you get to see who is calling. Oh, and you could also have a little note that indicates the original caller tried to hide their Caller ID info. Neat huh?
This tech must be cheap, my buddy just told me that his Veterinarian office uses it... lol wtf
Old 07-25-2011, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

If you are calling a toll free number (800, 888, etc.) you can not block your caller-id as that is part of the service that they are paying for.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-25-2011, 8:28 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Go do a google search for "TrapCall"... I do not know about the legality of all of this though. Kevin Mitnick has talked about this before. I did not know that 888/800 numbers get it for free... Wow...

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards