Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Banned

Default Duracoat vs Cerakote??

I know this has been discussed on every other forum out there, but I couldn't find it here and you guys I trust.

Does anyone have experience with one or the other or maybe both and would like to share good, bad or compare the two?

I read that Cerakote is tougher, but harder to apply.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Banned

What is your application? I prefer Cerakote it is way more durable and holds up in hotter temps.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Banned

AR lower receiver. Maybe want to get into some barrels later on.
Old 07-23-2011, 1:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've done this research before too.

I'm sure i remember Cerakote coming up winner all the time.
Old 07-23-2011, 1:41 AM

I have used both duracoat and cerakote including cerakote c and h.

Duracoat is house paint which can be put over any finsh as long as it is prepaired correctly. Dura heat is cerakote h repackaged. Cerakote h is nice and it is air cure. Cerakote c is the best but it has to be applied over a blasted surface and it has to cure in an oven.

How deep do you want to get. Duracoat Is a do it yourself. Both cerakote c an h should be done on bare mettal so there is a lot more work involved. If you just want to cammo a lower then shoot it with duracoat it will last you a long time.
Old 07-23-2011, 5:42 AM

Default Got it backwards...

Cerakote H is oven cure
Cerakote C is air cure.

Bill

www.azguncoat.com
Old 07-23-2011, 7:08 AM
Veteran Member

Duracoat is Sherman-Williams "Polane" paint repackaged for the gun crowd. Tough stuff, good for stocks. There are better products for metal.
Old 07-23-2011, 8:34 AM

Default www.armoryairbrush.com

DuraCoat is not house paint or a Sherwin Williams product nor is DuraHeat repackaged Cerastuff. These are just simple internet myths. DuraCoat was designed from the ground up specifically for firearms now with self lubricating properties and many other additives for sheen altercation, cure time expedition, texture, ultra flattening, flexing additive for scope covers and such are a few not to mention over 200 colors.
All of the competitors are cross over products from other industries who seem to spend more time trying to be DuraCoat rather than excelling in their intended markets. Don't believe any of the Myths or snake oil tests put out as smoke and mirrors for most of what you'll read is folks justifying their decision to use a product based on hype. Don't get me wrong they are all good products for finishing metal, their just not DuraCoat which can be used on just about anything.
our shop was semi-closed for the past 6 months due to family needing my assistance in another State but we are back now, sorry if I missed returning emails as I missed quite a few.
Great to be back on Calguns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
We will happily keep them unimpressed while we exercise our rights and limit their powers concurrently. -Gene
No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-23-2011, 8:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Don't know anything about duracoat but I had my rifle and scope base cerakoted and for reasons I won't get into, I tig welded the scope base to the receiver after they were cerakoted. The areas around the welds were completely unaffected. As in right up next to the weld. Just a little soot that rubbed right off. Great stuff!
Old 07-23-2011, 9:11 AM
Veteran Member

dura coat has a thick coating and can be removed with paint strippers.

Cera H...Thin and when cured...sandblast off.....

Cera is tougher IMHO
Old 07-23-2011, 10:31 AM

Properly applied DuraCoat will not come off with paint strippers (just in case one uses it as a last resort gun cleaner.) As far as thickness is concerned, DuraCoat's thickness can be controlled from .25 mils to 1.5 mils and thicker.
Had a client at the shop last week and I dug up the railroad spike I had finished and pounded into the ground over a year ago, hosed it off applied every solvent in the shop including DuraCoat reducer and the spike is not only unaffected but back in the ground waiting for the next test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
We will happily keep them unimpressed while we exercise our rights and limit their powers concurrently. -Gene
No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-01-2011, 9:31 PM

Duracoat is some pretty good stuff, I especially like the durafil material for older pitted firearms. Haven't had a chance to play with the cerakote as of yet. As with any coating proper prep is required.
Old 08-03-2011, 2:41 AM
Veteran Member

I can vouch for what drawn is saying. I have done /currently do Duracoat, Cerakote and Molyresin. Ill be damned but I've had more issues with CK than any other finish! Some CK coatings recenlty have changed colors during baking and promptly rubbed off by light steel wool. Old DC jobs are still holding strong.

Some members here can vouch for this occuring on their lowers at my place. I'm hoping its just me or my equipment, but at my last painting party we did about 5 complete firearms and 10 lowers in Molyresin without these issues. The hurdle that day for CK was inconsistent texture. No wonder several professional builders have moved from CK to MR.

I just bought more MR and will be getting some gen2 CK later this month. A new spray gun and ill be ready to try CK once more.

Justin

ETA: Duracoat goes on THICK and smooth. Same consistancy when mixed as the other brands I mentioned. But I've had to ream AR holes after applying DC haphazardly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Sometimes, arguing just for the sake of arguing, can be fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
no it can't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
YES IT CAN!
"Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"

Last edited by Roccobro; 08-03-2011 at 2:44 AM..