Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-06-2007, 3:46 PM

Default Problem installing AK "pin retainer plate" from red star arms

I am trying to assemble AK using a romanian "G" kit, receiver from global trades/armory USA and a G2 trigger group from Tapco USA. I am using original romanian selector lever. I am installing parts in this sequence:

1. hammer and hammer pin
2. trigger assembly (with disconnector and spring)
3. pin retainer plate (made by Red star arms, bought from Midway USA)
4. selector lever

I am unable to install selector lever because there is not enough clearance for it. The disconnector gets in the way when I try to pivot the selector lever in place.

I can make it work with the original AK "shepherd's crook" or whaever it's called by changing the installation sequence and intalling selector before the trigger.
Old 01-06-2007, 4:37 PM

Once the RSA pin plate is in place the hole should be lined up for the selector lever. You will have to rock the trigger and disconnector forward the get the selector in. Sometimes the hammer spring hooks (back of hammer spring, that ride on trigger) may block the selector from being rotated into position. You will have the use some needle nose pliers to push the hammer spring hook forward (usually on the ejection port side) a hair to get the selector rotated into position.
Old 01-06-2007, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Just pull the trigger when you are rotating the selector into place.
Old 01-06-2007, 5:07 PM

As the other posters said, pull the trigger so the disconector moves forward, you may also need to give it a little extra push with a small screwdriver and then your selector will fit,..barely. It's worth the fight, sheppards crooks suck and e-clips sometime vibrate off, the RSA plate is the only good way to go.
Old 01-06-2007, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC
As the other posters said, pull the trigger so the disconector moves forward, you may also need to give it a little extra push with a small screwdriver and then your selector will fit,..barely
I tried pushing, pulling and everything else. Finally I went to the Red Star's web site and read the additional instructions that were not included with the package. Apparently some selector levers are oversized. Eastern Block countries are not exactly famous for consistency of their manufacturing facilities Filed off just a little bit off the selector and everything worked. Had to be extra careful, if you file off too much you end up with non-functioning safety. I filed off just enough for the selector to clear the disconnector. I tried the lever on a more than a dozen times.
Old 01-06-2007, 7:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen
I tried pushing, pulling and everything else. Finally I went to the Red Star's web site and read the additional instructions that were not included with the package. Apparently some selector levers are oversized. Eastern Block countries are not exactly famous for consistency of their manufacturing facilities Filed off just a little bit off the selector and everything worked. Had to be extra careful, if you file off too much you end up with non-functioning safety. I filed off just enough for the selector to clear the disconnector. I tried the lever on a more than a dozen times.
My friend the reason IS that your selector lever is a Full-auto selector NOT semi-auto. That is why it won't clear it. Make sure that you don't file off the wrong side of the selector (where it holds the trigger in place.) I had the same problem..until I figured out my selector that came with the kit was a full-auto one. I found the plate they sell works well. Its WAY better than installing the retaining wire..OUCH!

I will vote for a donkey-sex maniac if he's pro-gun.
-BWiese
Old 01-06-2007, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliegone
My friend the reason IS that your selector lever is a Full-auto selector NOT semi-auto. That is why it won't clear it. Make sure that you don't file off the wrong side of the selector (where it holds the trigger in place.) I had the same problem..until I figured out my selector that came with the kit was a full-auto one. I found the plate they sell works well. Its WAY better than installing the retaining wire..OUCH!
I filed off less than 0.5 mm, the safety works. I can pull the trigger all I want when on safe, but the hammer is not getting released. The plate is much easier to install and looks like a the best way of securing the hammer and trigger pins.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliegone
I think the selector that comes with the Romy G kits are all for a full auto FCG. I beleive you get everything but the disconnector.