Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-17-2011, 4:49 PM

Default Marlin 795 grouping?

I shot my Marlin 795 for the first time last week, it was my first time shooting any 22 believe it or not. I haven't been shooting very long either. There was a steady breeze and I was using the factory sights, the gun was right out of the box. At 50 yards, I put 5 mags, 50 shots, entirely within about a 4" circle (accurate to point of aim). At 100 yards it was a much larger group, I think 8-10 inches, plus about 8 inches low which I expected.

I felt like this was about the best my eyes could do. It got harder after about 100 shots because my eyes were struggling to stay focused. Should I be able to do better?
Old 07-17-2011, 4:55 PM

My 795 get's out of the slammer at the end of the week...I hope to do so well. My eyes have 65 years on em'....So we'll see what we get.

Gub
Old 07-20-2011, 9:31 AM

I shot my GF's 795 quite a bit... with scope and off bags, you should be able to get 1 rugged hole at 50 yards!

Congratulation on your purchase!
Old 07-24-2011, 7:59 PM

I don't have a 795, but definitely check different ammunition brands and types. A scope helps to determine which is the most accurate, due to the magnification factor. But with some practice and proper technique, you should be able to make a rough determination of which ammo shoots the best out your rifle with the stock sights. The most expensive stuff might not shoot the best for your gun. The semi-auto feature is a plus when it comes to holding the rifle consistently in my humble opinion.
Old 07-24-2011, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Cat View Post
I shot my Marlin 795 for the first time last week, it was my first time shooting any 22 believe it or not. I haven't been shooting very long either. There was a steady breeze and I was using the factory sights, the gun was right out of the box. At 50 yards, I put 5 mags, 50 shots, entirely within about a 4" circle (accurate to point of aim). At 100 yards it was a much larger group, I think 8-10 inches, plus about 8 inches low which I expected.

I felt like this was about the best my eyes could do. It got harder after about 100 shots because my eyes were struggling to stay focused. Should I be able to do better?

To answer your question I say yes. If nothing else its an excellent start, but a scope would bring that group in nice and tight. Then just start working on your breathing, trigger, rhythm and such.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:34 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Cat View Post

Given that you have not done alot of shooting and its a new rifle I would say you did OK but always room for improvement. Work on trigger control, breathing and sight picture and you will see improvement. Too many folks think the firearm is inaccurate without learning proper shooting techniques. Shoot more, shoot better. Get to know your rifle and your accuracy will improve.

Get involved in the monthly rimfire matches here and the competition will improve your concentration and skills. Don't be too quick to scope the rifle, become profecient with the iron sights first. Start @ 25 yds and shoot until you can make one ragged hole at that range then move out to 50. Good Luck.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 AM

I'm of the opinion a scope really helps control grouping.
Because a scope will amplify your wanderings and movements so you will say, "what the heck am I doing?"
You can't see those movements nearly as pronounced with iron sites.
And the higher the magnification, the steadier the hold will have to be.
I currently have a 3-12X, 44mm on one of my 22's. It's a huge scope, but gives a huge picture.
Another has a 1" 4X Duplex reticule on it.
Either way, big pictures, and it teaches a steadier hold.
Once you get your other vibrations dampened, you will realize how much your own heartbeat affects your hold.

Walmart has some good scopes at decent prices. Remember, big scope = big picture. And don't overlook the bulk 22 ammo.
Have a blast learning to shoot your 22.

Life Member