Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-16-2011, 2:31 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Default Anyone have info on Army 15T MOS?

Are there any Calgunners here who are, were, or know someone who is a 15T in the Army? I looked into WOFT a while back, but the word I've gotten from trusted sources is that it's a long-shot without serious flight hours or a pilot's license.

I'm now hearing that 15T is the way to go... go in with a bachelor's degree as an E-4, show some initiative and get bumped into a flight company as a crew chief, then prove yourself to the pilots and COs you work under and have a much better chance of getting approved if you put in a warrant officer packet.

What say the experts?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 AM

I am a 15T in the CA Guard. Honestly you don't need the degree or even an aviation MOS to drop a warrant packet but it does help to have the recommendations from current aviators.
Old 07-18-2011, 6:16 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

What's your opinion of this particular MOS? Did you start out in the Guard, or switch over? What's it usually take to go from being a regular maintenance guy to a crew chief?

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 07-19-2011, 3:02 AM

I have been in the guard the whole time started out as a Bradley mech 63M now it's 91M for about 4 years then did Infantry 11B for about 2 years then got out, came back in as a 15T. I like turning wrenches, flying is fun too, but the shine will fade if your not really into it. Some guys go straight to a flight company right out of school which I believe puts them at a disadvantage. I am in the maintenance company and have no desire to be a full time crew chief. Maintenance test flights is fine with me. As with most jobs it's really the unit and the people you work with that will make or break you.
Old 07-19-2011, 1:32 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Thanks so much for the info!

While my education and work experience is in law enforcement, my passion since childhood has always been aviation... I've always loved flying, but never had the funds to work toward a pilot's license. If I could end up behind the controls, I'd make a career out of it... but being a crew chief in a UH-60 or even just working on them would be enjoyable, and a nice alternative to the current state of law enforcement jobs here (With more officers getting laid-off than hired).

From what you've seen, was there any specific reason some guys went straight to a flight company out of AIT, or was it pretty much random and up to the "needs of the Army"? Personally, I agree with the idea of starting in a maintenance company to get a better concept of the fundamentals... just curious what traits, if any, they seem to look for in sending guys to a flight company.

Thanks again for the insight.

Old 07-19-2011, 8:45 PM

If they have slot in the flight company and need people they will just slot who ever and hope for the best. Hope that helps.
Old 07-23-2011, 4:30 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Your info helped alot, thanks!