Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Need help from all you .308 AR experts.

I have a friend that wants an AR in 7mm-08 for hunting. All I could find was the Remington R-25 in 7mm-08 for about $1,250.

But then I thought maybe we could just build one (DPMS based) to get the components we want. I was hoping on matching the $1,250 price on the R-25.

As I began to price it all out I realized the prices are significantly higher to build an AR-10 type rifle than an AR-15 type rifle from scratch.

Specifically the barrel, bcg, and upper/lower are really expensive. I've found .308 barrels for $195, but 7mm-08 barrels are all custom and start at $500. Does anyone know where I could find a barrel for less money?

Same with the BCG. I've found them for $210 to $250 instead of $89 to $130 for an AR-15. Does anyone know of better pricing for a good BCG?

The best prices I've found for an upper/lower combo is $350 for blems instead of $138 to $200 for mint AR-15 upper/lower combos. Is there a better place to buy good uppers and lowers for a reasonable price?

After adding it all up, I realized I couldn't touch the price of the Remington R-25. Am I correct about this? Are there better places to get the components for less that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 AM

TDS Guns in Rocklin had 308 BCGs on sale for $150. You will be hard pressed to find a barrel for less than 200 unless it is used.

There are some used ar308's in your price range here in the classifieds, but you'll be looking about $1700 realistically if you are a super shopper and can piece it together.

Ar308 is on average 40% higher in cost. Sometimes more.

Upper receiver on sale here

http://www.cstactical.com/Bushnell/O....html?vmcchk=1

Do you have the ability to finish an 80% lower or live near anyone that can help you? Tactical machining is the way to go if you can.

Good luck!

Quote:
"Justice Sotomayor, states may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional."
- Gura

Last edited by Hozr; 07-13-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Old 07-13-2011, 11:02 AM

I would look into buying a complete upper, selling the .308 barrel and purchasing the 7mm-08 instead. Not sure about the magazines though....the PMags might work. My main question to you would be, what can a 7mm-08 do that a .308 cant, in regards to hunting? Best barrel I can find (and it will be very nice) is by Black Hole Weaponry: http://www.blackholeweaponry.com/cat...27c4e1b0c7913a - anywhere from $285-$315 before options. They dont have a picture for it, so I can only assume these are for DPMS LR .308 styled rifles (I dont believe they dont make AR-10 variant barrels).

I got my upper before any upgrades for, I believe, $675 at JSE Surplus. It is a DPMS upper and I opted to add $40 for a Chrome Lined Carrier. It seems all the prices you listed are pretty much the same across the board, and yes...you are right: .308 AR's do cost much more than AR-15's. They are much less common and just now getting really popular.

For the lower, look at Tactical Machining. Their website says they currently have stripped lowers in stock for $229, which is about as low as youre gonna find for a 7075 Billet lower. Unfortunately, they have not yet made their matching uppers yet (Im still patiently waiting), so you will need something like a DPMS, JD Machine or SI Defense upper receiver.....DPMS being the cheapest.Just know that the colors wont match perfectly, however.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the tip on the BCG at TDS Hozr. I'll check it out. Online they aren't showing anything so I guess I'll have to go to the store. And no, I don't have the milling machine needed for an 80% lower.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 AM

The R25 is a hunting rifle. You won't be able to build a combat weapon (LR308, AR10) no where near that price.
SIG P226 Navy, W. German P226
P226 Scorpion, P226 X5 Competition
SIG P229 E2
SIG SP2022
TROY M7A1
Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

goodlookin1, I had thought of just switching out the barrel of an upper too. But doing that still puts the price much higher than just buying a stock R-25. And yes, PMAG's work with the DPMS platform. So I'm GTG there.

The 7mm-08 shoots flatter and does much better in crosswinds due to high BC bullets. It also recoils quite a bit less than the .308 and it hits just as hard. It's basically a new and improved .308. It's a great hunting round for hogs, moose, and elk.

Thanks for the link to Black Hole Weaponry!!! Those barrels are much more reasonable! That helps alot.

I've found blem lowers for $175 and blem uppers for $175, so I'll probably stick with those to keep the price down. Especially since we'll probably give the gun a camo paint job for hunting. Billet isn't essential for this build.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareair View Post
The R25 is a hunting rifle. You won't be able to build a combat weapon (LR308, AR10) no where near that price.
That's what I began to think. But with Hozr's and goodlookin1's help, I've managed to get the build down to $1,089 now! That's definitely doable. I'll run the numbers and components by my friend and see if he gives the thumbs-up.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Built mine (with no optics) for just over $900...and it ain't geared towards hunting

Last edited by goodlookin1; 07-13-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Old 07-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
goodlookin1, I had thought of just switching out the barrel of an upper too. But doing that still puts the price much higher than just buying a stock R-25. And yes, PMAG's work with the DPMS platform. So I'm GTG there.

The 7mm-08 shoots flatter and does much better in crosswinds due to high BC bullets. It also recoils quite a bit less than the .308 and it hits just as hard. It's basically a new and improved .308. It's a great hunting round for hogs, moose, and elk.

Thanks for the link to Black Hole Weaponry!!! Those barrels are much more reasonable! That helps alot.

I've found blem lowers for $175 and blem uppers for $175, so I'll probably stick with those to keep the price down. Especially since we'll probably give the gun a camo paint job for hunting. Billet isn't essential for this build.
7mm-08 is certainly better in the wind and holds a flatter trajectory, but I'm not so sure about it hitting as hard......at least not until a looong ways away (it may catch up after 600-800 yards....just a guess), but you wouldnt normally be hunting at those distances anyways. At least not with a 7mm-08 or .308

In any case, it is most likely powerful enough of a round for anything in North America. Very large Elk may be an issue, but then again, it's always about shot placement and the type of bullet that you are using.

Oh well. Just glad I could help out

Oh and one more thing: Make sure the lower you are looking at is an OFF LIST lower, not a DPMS Panther blem (Panther = banned by name).

Last edited by goodlookin1; 07-13-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Old 07-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have a friend that wants an AR in 7mm-08 for hunting. All I could find was the Remington R-25 in 7mm-08 for about $1,250.

But then I thought maybe we could just build one (DPMS based) to get the components we want. I was hoping on matching the $1,250 price on the R-25.

As I began to price it all out I realized the prices are significantly higher to build an AR-10 type rifle than an AR-15 type rifle from scratch.

Specifically the barrel, bcg, and upper/lower are really expensive. I've found .308 barrels for $195, but 7mm-08 barrels are all custom and start at $500. Does anyone know where I could find a barrel for less money?

Same with the BCG. I've found them for $210 to $250 instead of $89 to $130 for an AR-15. Does anyone know of better pricing for a good BCG?

The best prices I've found for an upper/lower combo is $350 for blems instead of $138 to $200 for mint AR-15 upper/lower combos. Is there a better place to buy good uppers and lowers for a reasonable price?

After adding it all up, I realized I couldn't touch the price of the Remington R-25. Am I correct about this? Are there better places to get the components for less that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
Not going to happen for the price and with a 7mm-08. If you find a complete upper for 7mm-08 is going to be around the 1k mark, it will be cheaper in the end just the buy the R-25 out right than to piece together one. Big plus towards the R-25, their recievers are made by DPMS but just don't have their roll markings. So in a sense you will be getting an off list DPMS lower and giving a huge **** you to the State.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 PM

Also want to quickly mention that the PMags **may** not fit the 7mm-08 rounds.....you should verify this before hand if this is a big issue for you. Being that this is for hunting, it probably will not be.
Old 07-13-2011, 3:32 PM

Not sure what tbe BC of 7mm-08 round is but there are 308s with a BC >0.6. I'm working up a slightly strange load right now witha G1 BC of 0.646, just waiting for the bullets to show up now.

Quote:
"Justice Sotomayor, states may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional."
- Gura
Old 07-13-2011, 3:39 PM

Here's the BCG. Not on sale any more however.

http://tdsguns.com/store/product/981...Carrier-AR-10/

Quote:
- Gura
Old 07-13-2011, 4:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think if you put lr-308 into google shopping you'll find the opposite.

The r25 is a good rifle for the money btw.
Old 07-13-2011, 4:26 PM

Where in the hell did you find a barrel for $195? Please post!! Thats super cheap and I want it!!
Old 07-13-2011, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

So, if you can't touch the SR-25 price by piecing it together, why not just get the SR-25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
And yes, this IS gun school.
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
There is life outside of Calguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 5:58 PM

Ar10 parts are pricey and have poor resale value
Buy it complete fwiw
Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravosd6 View Post
Where in the hell did you find a barrel for $195? Please post!! Thats super cheap and I want it!!
http://www.jsesurplus.com/dpms16inch308ap4barrel.aspx

and

http://www.jsesurplus.com/dpms24inch...lbarrel-4.aspx

and

http://www.jsesurplus.com/dpms18inchsass308barrel.aspx

Old 07-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerTroop View Post
So, if you can't touch the SR-25 price by piecing it together, why not just get the SR-25?
As my previous post shows, I can build my own for $1089 (now $1129 due to BCG) with the help of people here. Also, my friend gets to choose components like handguard, buttstock, pistol grip, barrel features, and muzzle brake.

Old 07-14-2011, 1:04 PM

18" stainless heavy barrel. Teflon coated. $225

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=688404

Use a coupon code too!

Quote:
- Gura
Old 07-14-2011, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozr View Post
18" stainless heavy barrel. Teflon coated. $225

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=688404

Use a coupon code too!
That's a 5.56 barrel, not 7mm-08 or .308.

Old 07-14-2011, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
Built mine (with no optics) for just over $900...and it ain't geared towards hunting
Have you got a build parts list? Would be awesome to know; I'm looking into building a .308 AR.
Old 07-14-2011, 1:11 PM

I bought my 308 SASS from JSE too, I got it for $190 a couple weeks ago =). For the SASS barrel, there's only 3 gas blocks I know that fit. The DPMS SASS ($100), DPMS micro ($20) and some PRI one. I order my DPMS micro gas block directly from DPMS, it's been on backorder for nearly a month and I'm still waiting.
Old 07-14-2011, 3:54 PM

Quote:
That's a 5.56 barrel, not 7mm-08 or .308.
You're right, sorry. The 308 is cheaper

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=660397

Quote:
- Gura
Old 07-14-2011, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfprompt View Post
For the SASS barrel, there's only 3 gas blocks I know that fit. The DPMS SASS ($100), DPMS micro ($20) and some PRI one.
Paladin Machine Service has a 3 position adjustable gas block for $75 delivered.

Quote:
- Gura
Old 07-14-2011, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Clone SR-25's cost far less than a real SR-25. Anything KAC is usually valued at it's weight in gold! Frickin ridiculous. There have been some people who have managed to get pretty dang close to looking like the SR-25 for far less than half the price of a real KAC SR-25.

But for the Mall Ninja's and Operators, they'd never touch a clone KAC

Last edited by goodlookin1; 07-14-2011 at 4:21 PM..
Old 07-14-2011, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
Clone SR-25's cost far less than a real SR-25. Anything KAC is usually valued at it's weight in gold! Frickin ridiculous. There have been some people who have managed to get pretty dang close to looking like the SR-25 for far less than half the price of a real KAC SR-25.

But for the Mall Ninja's and Operators, they'd never touch a clone KAC
Goodlookin, did you see my earlier message? Don't wanna bug but it's easy to have a message get buried in a thread. Cheers.
Old 07-14-2011, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquirer View Post
Goodlookin, did you see my earlier message? Don't wanna bug but it's easy to have a message get buried in a thread. Cheers.
Oops! Sorry....it did get buried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquirer View Post
Have you got a build parts list? Would be awesome to know; I'm looking into building a .308 AR.
- Complete DPMS AP4 16" with Chrome Carrier from JSE Surplus: $665
- Stripped Tactical Machining lower in Group Buy on CG: $180 (+$25 DROS) = $205
- DPMS .308 Lower Parts Kit: $75
- Carbine Stock kit from CG Commercial section: $38
- PWS Brake: FREE (given to me by fellow (and generous) calgunner

Total comes to $983, would have been $40 less if I didnt go with the chromed bolt carrier.

But then I added optics: $499 for Vortex Viper 1-4x PST + $170 for American Defense Ad Recon mount. So that jacks up the total finished price to $1652.....but the optics were an expensive (and worthwhile) choice that I decided to make....it could have been done MUCH cheaper, if necessary.

I'll add an MRF .308 rail and a low-pro gas block someday, when funds allow. As of right now, I'm too po.

Old 07-14-2011, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozr View Post
You're right, sorry. The 308 is cheaper

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=660397
That's $14 more than the 5.56, not less.

I think you might be thinking of this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=523041

or this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=898154

Old 07-14-2011, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Also, I was talking about the Remington R-25, not the KAC SR-25.

Old 07-14-2011, 9:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

seeing how I just went down that road, if I got to do it again, I would of settled for the R25. My MA-TEN build cost me a little over $2000 without optics, had I bought the R25, I would have left over for a good handgun. I only need 1.5" moa for the area where I hunt (which from what I heard about the R25 in 308 is doing), the forest I'm in is so dense you can't see further than 80 yds, then again my MA-TEN is at the 3/4" moa with me shooting, good for off season.