Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:12 PM

Default How many guns can you buy in a month?

I know the law is one new gun per month, but what about private party purchases? Has anyone bought 1 new handgun and 2,3+ used in a span of 30 days? Can your DROS be rejected? As a collector, I'm buying the 1 a month, but I also see some great deals on used guns on consignment.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Calguns Addict

How many can you afford?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 PM

lol. I could probably buy two a month. At least until the wife catches wind. Then, I'll be buying one every 6 months. lol. Serious. I just wondered if there is a limit and how many others have done in a month time.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Supposedly there's no limit to how many PPT's you do but I'm sure if you're buying 2-3 a month nobody will care. If you're buying 2-3 dozen a month thats a big red flag.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Banned

Your forgetting a form that the FFL sends to the feds when ever anyone buys more than one handgun in a 5 day period.

This is one of the things they use to know if someone is buying and reselling without having a FFL.

At least they assume that your reselling.

Its called a multiple sales form.

I don't remember the number of the form.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWestGambler
lol. I could probably buy two a month. At least until the wife catches wind.
+1 on that
last month I told my wife I just paid $2600 for a rare vintage WWII mosin nagant... it was a screaming good deal!! she said " wow that is a lot of money but if you realy like it then it is ok.... "

I am worried about the day I tell her about my rare vintage enffield .303 I picked up for $1800 and she says: " you dumbass you can get those at aim surplus for $150.00"
Old 01-02-2007, 11:03 PM

To answer the original question, I've bought more than one handgun in a month new. Actually, I think at one time I did 3, but the thing was that you can only DROS one per month. So I had a couple of purchases that I didn't get to pick up for a couple of months later.

Turners can have some really good sales at times.

You should be able to PPT as many as you want at any time without worrying about the 1/30 days rule.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I've had the same experience where I was awaiting 3 handguns via PPT (from different people) and had to wait 30 days between the DROS on each one. I've heard/read that they can be transferred as a multiple, but I believe they need to be from the same seller.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:12 PM

You can buy as many as you want but can only DROS one "new handgun" per thirty days. So any additional "new handgun" purchases are on standby until the first thirty day period passes.

This one new handgun per month is a major infringement on the rights of California gun owners. It does absolutely nothing to stop or reduce crime. I read something on NRA ILA website about South Carolina rescinding a similar law several years ago. We need to get a movement going to do the same.

To pay two seperate DROS fees to buy a new or used handgun and long guns in the same transaction makes no sense at all!
To pay multiple DROS fees on even PPT handguns is a crock of **** too!

Last edited by Outlaw Josey Wales; 01-02-2007 at 11:19 PM..
Old 01-02-2007, 11:13 PM

Sure it does. It's more money for the state. Everything in Kalifornia costs more.

Except for the produce and ethnic food!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 PM

Well, it looks like I'm in the clear if I buy a new one, 2 weeks later see a good deal on say two rifles. Hasn't happened yet, but I wondered if there was a limit. If I bought 3 things in a month, my wife would make me get into something cheaper like, model railroading or walk on the beach with a metal detector looking for loose change like a nerd. lol
Old 01-02-2007, 11:21 PM

Turners can have some really good sales at times.

Reply: Yes, they sure do. I check their website every tuesday afternoon about the sale that's coming that thursday. Lay-a-ways are great, because you lock in the gun and the great price and have 60 days to pay it off and DROS.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksremote
I've had the same experience where I was awaiting 3 handguns via PPT (from different people) and had to wait 30 days between the DROS on each one. I've heard/read that they can be transferred as a multiple, but I believe they need to be from the same seller.
PPT's are exempt from the one per thirty day rule. You should have been able to run all three simultaneously with no problems.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklbucla
Sure it does. It's more money for the state. Everything in Kalifornia costs more.
The state generates revenue from these fees but produces absolutely nothing as a result.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As a collector do you have a FFL03 or just collecting as a average person? If you want to get serious about pistols get an FFL03 and a COE. You no longer need to be bothered with the one a month of any type of pistol. Still have the 10 day wait on modern pistols.

jerry
Old 01-03-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfull
As a collector do you have a FFL03 or just collecting as a average person? If you want to get serious about pistols get an FFL03 and a COE. You no longer need to be bothered with the one a month of any type of pistol. Still have the 10 day wait on modern pistols.

jerry
And make sure your dealer is willing to honor this and DROS it correctly. Some dealers don't know the COE with C&R exempts you from 1 every 30 on new guns.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfull

jerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567
And make sure your dealer is willing to honor this and DROS it correctly. Some dealers don't know the COE with C&R exempts you from 1 every 30 on new guns.
Is there an exemption code I can tell my dealer to enter in the DROS for this type of transaction?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

In December I bought one new gun and 6 used guns along with 5 rifles. I keep waiting for the knock on the door sayin we need to see all of these guns. No prohblems here everything is legal and paid for. All of thos firearms live with me.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:58 AM
CGSSA Associate

Thumbs up

PPT's are unlimited.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For a FFL03 & COE:
under the waiting period exemptions put "0ne gun per 30 day exempt", or something like that. It is a drop down menu so you choose. The doj informed me it was up to the FFL to verify you are exempt from the 1 per 30 days.

For the HCS exemption code put in "X13" as a collector.

2006 Dangerous Weapons Control Law
(a)(9)(A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than one pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within any 30-day period.
(a)(9)(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:
(a)(9)(B)(ix) Any person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071.
(c) No dealer, whether or not acting pursuant to Section 12082, shall deliver a firearm to a person, as follows:
(c)(6) No pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person shall be delivered whenever the dealer is notified by the Department of Justice that within the preceding 30-day period the purchaser has made another application to purchase a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person and that the previous application to purchase involved none of the entities specified in subparagraph (B) of paragraph (9) of subdivision (a).

jerry

Last edited by zinfull; 01-03-2007 at 1:48 PM..
Old 01-03-2007, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus
Is there an exemption code I can tell my dealer to enter in the DROS for this type of transaction?
It's a dropdown/checkbox option on the DROS form.
I've had it checked for me.