Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-02-2007, 8:38 PM

Default 50BMG on AR lower, non-rifle

All,

I'm re-posting my query from the existing 50BMG thread, I'm afraid it might have fallen through the cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garand1945
We could buy a .50 reciever (or AR lower and .50 upper) and as long as it is NOT assembled into a shoulder firing rifle, then it is legal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage
Edit: At your second post, I'd say no. Those recievers are DROSed as rifles.
Ok, is there a way to send an AR style lower receiver through the DROS process so it isn't registered as either a pistol or a rifle?

What is the firearm "type" used when transfering something like an Ma Deuce, or a 1919, or any of the other non-rifles? Is there any reason you couldn't ask that the transfer of the AR lower be done using that instead of rifle or pistol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese
For now, I would be a tad cautious in acquiring/building a 50BMG non-rifle firearm from a platform intended for a rifle and having spare rifle (stock) parts around.
What if you permanently modified the receiver so it couldn't accept a stock? Weld a plug into the stock hole on the receiver? I'm looking at some of the 50 BMG bolt action uppers out there, (such as the Ferret50) that don't make use of a buffer tube, so there's no need to fill that hole with a stock. Just build it up, mount the whole sucker on a tripod.

Almost seems like this could work!
Old 01-02-2007, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Here are your grips, and bipod adaptor. This build could land you about $5K less than the ma deuce!

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/New%20Products.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

Soon it will be clearly immoral to routinely violate the bill of rights like the California courts so enjoy today.

-Gene
Old 01-02-2007, 8:54 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Wow, I'm still in shock that I got quoted as a source. Go me!

I'm really far from an expert (though apparently nobody who IS contradicted me on the above, so I was right once), but it seems like starting with an 80% would be the best way to go? Make sure there's nowhere to attach a grip or anything. It still might be riding too close to the edge, though.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 01-02-2007, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

There are some really good ideas being brought up, but I wonder if a good many wild ideas will come up over the next few days which are way outside logical boundaries. Creative yes, and good hypothetical fun, but be careful as accepting as "hey, we can do this with no repercussions".

I'm with the "crew-operated" non-rifle idea, as well as the coughing death of Roberti-Roos items if using a sealed-mag-well, even the non-SKS "Simonov influenced" rifles using detachable mags idea, and on board with a few others.

But.... I would not attempt to take an AR receiver and try to DROS it as something other than long-gun, just to make a .50BMG "thing". I am not even sure if any dealers could do that for you considering how the manufacturer might have logged it? Maybe an 80% receiver build out of state, but man, how do you classify it to CA DOJ?

Second, try to remember that AB-50 is about banning rifles that chamber the .50BMG cartridge. No matter how you build it, or mount it, I am betting ATF/DOJ will determine your spade-grip-trigger operated, tripod attached AR with ALS upper is a "rifle" even though altered.

Seriously, and within a more reasonable approach, you would do better off and probably save a lot of hassle and money simply buying a Serbu, Viper, EDM or other big-bore rifle chambered for the .50DTC. The balistics of the two cartridges are so close, and the .50DTC so easily created, it's a much better option, on your sanity and wallet.

1945 Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1180581

1968 2.5" Colt Python & 1936 Smith & Wesson Pre-War "Registered" Magnum
:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1183318

1934 National Duolian Steel Resonator Guitar: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1172113
Old 01-02-2007, 9:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula

Seriously, and within a more reasonable approach, you would do better off and probably save a lot of hassle and money simply buying a Serbu, Viper, EDM or other big-bore rifle chambered for the .50DTC. The balistics of the two cartridges are so close, and the .50DTC so easily created, it's a much better option, on your sanity and wallet.

Or, have a standard .50BMG upper short-chambered .10" and have the face of the bolt shrunk .10" with an insert, then turn .10" off the neck and head of the .50BMG cartridge.

This would be easy to do IMHO, and super cheap as brass is made from regular BMG brass, and would be easy to turn down.

I wanna see someone build a Kali-50 using the .50 Spotter round.

J
Old 01-02-2007, 9:36 PM

JP,
You can get an Ultralite 50 upper that's chambered for the 50 spotter right now.

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/ul50rpt.htm
Old 01-02-2007, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

Slick

J
Old 01-03-2007, 12:06 AM

Thumbs up .50 caliber variants

Here is a pic of some .50 caliber variant rounds thanks to Mr. Kubota:

Another comes to mind and that is the .50ALS by Advanced Long Range Systems (www.50bmg.net).