Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-02-2007, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Default GLOCK Magazine Disassembly

I have a 10 Round .40 S&W magazines I can't seem to disassemble. I've read the various instructions and methods for doing it, but nothing seems to work! Ive even resorted to using clamps to squeeze the base of the body enough so the base plate could slide off the tabs, but nothing seems to work. Are the 10 round magazines specifically made to prohibit disassembly or am I just not doing something right?

Here's the gist of what I did: http://custom-glock.com/magtech.html

For the record, i'm not weak and I've used significant force in all stages of the disassembly
Old 01-02-2007, 3:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I never was able to disassemble those mags either. I tried exactly what the manual explained, but never worked out. But who cares. Its a glock!
Old 01-02-2007, 4:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I've been able to get them off with a pair of channel lock pliers, and a punch.

If you're not he-man, it helps to have a friend!

Use the plier jaws to squeeze where the locking tabs are, then push the retaining pin on the bottom, then slide off. I was able to do it myself, but it's not easy!

-Dave
Old 01-02-2007, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

Once the "button" is pushed in, I've used brute carefully applied force to seperate the floorplate from the mag body that wouldn't come apart from hand pressure alone. I've placed the GLOCK mag on a plastic wash basin in a laundry room, front end pointed up to the ceiling and leaned all my weight into it, took about a second.

I don't recommend squeezing the mag body, could damage it and comprimise it's reliability.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 01-02-2007, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

Any reason you want to disassemble them?

My old 17 round mags saw 4 years, almost 50000 rounds and a lot of mud and dirt and never failed me. If they got really muddy I just washed them assembled in soap and water and left them upside down to dry...
Old 01-02-2007, 4:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose
Any reason you want to disassemble them?

My old 17 round mags saw 4 years, almost 50000 rounds and a lot of mud and dirt and never failed me. If they got really muddy I just washed them assembled in soap and water and left them upside down to dry...
It's just so I know how to do it in case I ever need to. I haven't had any problems yet, but you never know..
Old 01-02-2007, 5:01 PM
Banned

Use a 16 Oz. framing hammer... haha
Old 01-02-2007, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

I've made disassembling Glock mags very simple. On my work-bench, about a 3/8ths" from the edge of the bench, I screwed down a narrow small aluminum plate about 1/16" thick (or thickness of the floor plate edge).

I set the magazine upright like a pistol grip, with the floor plate on the bench portion of the 3/8ths" area, insert a plastic dowel in the floorplate lock from underneath with my other hand, and push forward on the mag body sliding the mag until the dowel touches the table, flip over and remove with fingers (if you wish, but will slide off completely in one action). If necessary, you can put your whole body weight into it - no hammering, no pliers, no yanking. Slides off in seconds, with no damage to the plastic mag, body or floorplate. The video shows the mistake of just using the table flat surface - that works on older ones, but not as well on new tight ones. It's so much easier to use the uneven 1/16" difference in surfaces.

The 3/8" bench gives you a parallel rest to slide on, the 1/16" level difference stops the floorplate, as the body continues to move forward. The key to making it easy is the uneven surface difference acting like a stop.

"Works like butta!"

Last edited by CALI-gula; 01-02-2007 at 9:07 PM..
Old 01-02-2007, 6:16 PM

Wink It takes two seconds if you know how.

It takes two seconds if you know how. Just use the glock punch tool or any punch that will fit through the bottom hole. Hold the punch pointing down with your thumb pointing down. Hold the mag upside down in your other hand with the front facing the hand with the punch. Stick the punch in the hole in the floorplate slightly towards the front of the mag about 1.5 inches until the internal plate cocks sideways and then pry the floorplate towards the front using ther thumb of the punch hand. Finish it off by hand. No drama, no special clamps jigs or other tools. Two seconds. I'm surprised no one has already posted this.

I just found a link to a simillar how to on the Glockmiester site:
http://glockmeister.com/magdis.shtml
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkssbtz View Post
In short, there is no justice. It is a commodity sold to the highest bidder.
Old 01-02-2007, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Default It's EASY

Use a punch or some tool that has a long thin metal rod. Stick it into the hole in the center of the mag floor plate. angle it towards the front of mag so that you get infront of that plastic square plate at the bottom of the mag. Then just pry the punch or whatever tool you are using forward untill the baseplate comes off. It's that easy.
Old 01-02-2007, 8:48 PM
Veteran Member

Finally! I did it! The trick was as specified in the replies.. stick that GLOCK tool in so that it can be used as a pry instead of being used just to depress the button. It is clearly seen in the link avidone provided. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-02-2007, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidone
It takes two seconds if you know how. Just use the glock punch tool or any punch that will fit through the bottom hole. Hold the punch pointing down with your thumb pointing down. Hold the mag upside down in your other hand with the front facing the hand with the punch. Stick the punch in the hole in the floorplate slightly towards the front of the mag about 1.5 inches until the internal plate cocks sideways and then pry the floorplate towards the front using ther thumb of the punch hand. Finish it off by hand. No drama, no special clamps jigs or other tools. Two seconds. I'm surprised no one has already posted this. I just found a link to a simillar how to on the Glockmiester site:
http://glockmeister.com/magdis.shtml

I used to do it that way - and I have the tool. However, when disassembling many at one time, (in the multiple dozens) I found my method using a 1/16th" plate on bench surface edge much faster, easier, and less potential for damage to the plastic or other parts. There is no cocking or pressure from using a lever against any part of the mag - force is completely exerted along the edge of the floor-plate only, and it slides right off. You don't even need to use your hands at all.

Old 01-02-2007, 9:25 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: West Oakland, low crawling up on Emeryville and Berkeley.

the Glock armorers school frowns on any method other than avidone's and teletiger's. That's the way it's taught.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 01-02-2007, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner
the Glock armorers school frowns on any method other than avidone's and teletiger's. That's the way it's taught.
Turn that frown upside down! My method is faster and safer on the mag and its parts, period.

Sorry, it just is.

Long ago, people used to have to use a hand-operated crank to start a car. Then a better idea came along.

Old 01-02-2007, 9:40 PM
Super Moderator

point to CALI-gula for an graceful response. And since I've not tried his method I'll table my comment.

But dammit that's not how they teach it!

I have to go now; it's time to listen to my stories on the Marconi wireless and later I have chase those kids off my lawn.

Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 03-30-2009, 5:49 PM

Default Thanks Teletiger7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletiger7 View Post
Use a punch or some tool that has a long thin metal rod. Stick it into the hole in the center of the mag floor plate. angle it towards the front of mag so that you get infront of that plastic square plate at the bottom of the mag. Then just pry the punch or whatever tool you are using forward untill the baseplate comes off. It's that easy.
I used Teletiger's method along with channel log pliers BECAUSE: my 'punch' was a peice of a clothes hanger (lmao)

But I have been stressed for the past 2 days because I couldn't open the plate and I ordered +2 extensions on line so I better learn how to open it.

I did some damage to the plastic button thing you push down but today I finally learned how to open it thanks to teletiger.

You want to stick the tool through the hole in the bottom and push the inner plate (the button in the hole) IN. Then you want to angle your tool backward a LOT and jiggle it between the inner floor plate and the outter until you get IN FRONT of the inner floor plate then I used my pliers to help pry my weak "punch" forward until it slid off a little bit. Squeezing the bottom of the base with something helps get the floor plate past the "ears".

Then I thought the spring was going to double in size or something so I aimed it into my mattress and slid off the plate. Actually it was under no pressure at all... lol -- what's wierd is this is my extremely hard-to-load 10RD magazine.

Oh yeah if you do damage to the inner plastic floor plate you can fix it once or twice by filing it down but I'd be carefull not to do too much damage. Then again the "ears" hold the magazine in place pretty securely so I guess it wouldn't matter too much if you wound up filing that hole button off. Haha.

Good luck folks.

And thanks teletiger!

I'll have pictures up soon when I get the buttstock, fore grip, and red dot sight on my glock

Last edited by spitrhyma; 03-30-2009 at 5:54 PM..
Old 03-30-2009, 6:07 PM

the 10 rounders are MUCH harder to do than the standard 'hi cap' magazines... You cannot get the 'tool' into the hole very well to move the floorplate.. Its due to the internal ribbing of the 10 round magazine body not allowing the floorplate to rock down..

Hi-cap mags take 2 seconds with a punch... 10 rounders do not remove quite so easily.. Dont believe me, go get a 10 round glock magazine and see for yourself..
Old 03-30-2009, 6:23 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletiger7 View Post
the best way
Old 03-30-2009, 6:43 PM
Super Moderator

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Kidding kidding of course, it's still all good info.

Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 12-04-2015, 2:20 PM

This thread helped me a bunch, just wanted to update it with the new URL referenced: http://www.glockmeister.com/GlockMag...isassembly.asp
Old 12-04-2015, 2:26 PM

This accessory is supposed to make it easy to disassemble any Glock Magazine, including the 10-rounders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbY415oPhB8
Old 12-04-2015, 3:41 PM

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/289...y-tool-polymer

Click on the link. I have one of these tools. While it is still a real pain, it can be done.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo View Post
the 10 rounders are MUCH harder to do than the standard 'hi cap' magazines... You cannot get the 'tool' into the hole very well to move the floorplate.. Its due to the internal ribbing of the 10 round magazine body not allowing the floorplate to rock down..

Hi-cap mags take 2 seconds with a punch... 10 rounders do not remove quite so easily.. Dont believe me, go get a 10 round glock magazine and see for yourself..
I had a magazine follower break that the magazine failed to lock back on the last round. After sorting through the myriad of followers and ordering the part, I also made a good call to order a magazine insert (and save on shipping), as the amount of force needed to take the base pad off had just about sheared off the plastic nub (where you insert the punch) on the magazine insert. Boy was it chewed up!
Old 12-04-2015, 10:44 PM

I used needle nose plyers to take of the base plate last night. Scratched it up a little but I don't care bc the aftermarket baseplate will stay on forever.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuuze View Post
I have one. Works great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8mi1y3wAAM
Old 12-04-2015, 11:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

These sleeve work OK. Can still be a chore though. I have these on my vise. The base plate of all Glock mags fits in the vertical channel perfectly and they literally fall right off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuuze View Post
Old 12-04-2015, 11:33 PM

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail....915242&CAT=111
Old 12-04-2015, 11:56 PM

McMaster-Carr part number: 5105A21 - Vise-grip Plier Clamp, With Swivel Pads, 2-1/8" Maximum Opening

Get a tool that does other things as well
Old 12-05-2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven View Post
This thread helped me a bunch, just wanted to update it with the new URL referenced: http://www.glockmeister.com/GlockMag...isassembly.asp
"Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." - Heraclitus
Old 12-05-2015, 7:28 AM

You need a gunsmith.
Old 12-05-2015, 9:52 AM

I used a C Clamp. Tighten it down than use a punch with an overhand grip to slide off the baseplate. The 17 and 19 were a pain but when I got a 26 and put some GAP plates on, the base slid right off. It's definitely more difficult with the 10 round limited magazines. Use your thumb on the side of the magazine and apply pressure with your index finger on the punch (while in the clamp). Takes some effort but should come off. Good news is they come off easy next time...
Old 12-05-2015, 2:17 PM

If you want fancy tool...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk