Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-27-2014, 6:18 AM

Default SAE DROS Model 617 Advice / Suggestions

Close friend lives in Washington State, over the years we have horse traded, sold, loaned each other many items including firearms.
Last trip up to Washington included a visit to a local gun store where I feel in love with a 617 .22 lr. Which he purchased.
Now how do I bring it back to So Cal?
Option 1, next month on another trip up north, just bring it back with me on the airline.
Option 2, friend, who is a LEO armorer, can modify to SAE and personally ship to local FFL for DROS and I would reassemble
Option 3, friend would ship unmodified to a FFL for SAE and DROS
Option 4 ???

Any and all advice I would appreciate.

mark
Old 04-27-2014, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

First, if your friend purchased it for you, he committed a Federal felony as he is not the actual purchaser/buyer and made a false statement on a Federal document. My advice would be to not post illegal acts in a public forum, well, actually, don't commit illegal acts, but if you do, don't post about it.

Option 1 is illegal. Residents of different states can not transfer a firearm without going through a FFL in the buyer's state of residence. There would also be an issue in regards to CA law since you would need to "register" it and that would be a problem since you are not moving into CA, so that form is out, and since it was an illegal transfer, that would be a slight issue in documenting what you did and if you don't, that is another issue.

The firearm can be converted to meet the single action exemption and it does not matter who. It can be converted before shipping to the transfer FFL or if the transfer FFL is willing to do the conversion, it can be shipped before it is modified.

If the modification requires any milling/machining, then it could be an issue in regards to manufacturing a firearm under Federal law.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-27-2014, 9:43 AM

Thank you for the great advice, especially the part about posting, at times I forget how small our world has become.
Presently no laws have been broken, and my/our intent is not to break any.

It seems the logical solution is for him to convert it to a SAE and then personally ship (he can do that if I understand the laws) to a FFL willing to complete a out of state tranfer from a private party. Is this correct?

thank you again.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwr View Post
Thank you for the great advice, especially the part about posting, at times I forget how small our world has become.
There are those who watch forums like this. I have talked to some who do.

Quote:
Presently no laws have been broken, and my/our intent is not to break any.
You said you wanted a firearm at a shop. You said that your friend purchased it for you. That is illegal. It does not matter if a later transfer to you is legal or not currently (there is a case before the Supreme Court which might change that).

Quote:
It seems the logical solution is for him to convert it to a SAE and then personally ship (he can do that if I understand the laws) to a FFL willing to complete a out of state tranfer from a private party. Is this correct?
You need to check with the FFL to see if they will accept a firearm from a private party. Some don't. Also, it can be cheaper to ship a handgun through a FFL if their fee is low enough since FFLs can ship USPS, which can be much cheaper than overnight UPS/FedEx.

Quote:
thank you again.
You are welcome.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein