Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 07-07-2011, 3:05 PM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Emergency Food

I've started to seriously look into long term emergency food for a 'bug in' situation. There are several companies out there and I'm really getting confused.

What priorities should I look at first for 2 adults for a 6-12 month period?

I'm thinking length of storage would be at the top of the list - I've seen some places claim 25 years.

Not sure what to look for after that.

Being north of 60 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 07-07-2011, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Everyone has a different opinion. I don't do a lot of bulk food though I've been looking at it. I love lentils and there are some terrific buys on them in bulk - plus they have a 30 year shelf life.

One piece of advise I heard and resonated with me was bulk up on what you eat. Why buy bulk foods you never eat, and then add to "SHTF" food you don't like?
Old 07-07-2011, 3:43 PM

I use beprepared.com a lot. Freeze dried in #10 cans is my my favored storage. Easily stored, long lasting, and better tasting. Mountain House is the best.
Old 07-07-2011, 3:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It would be pretty hard to go wrong just starting out with a few pounds of wheat,rice and beans. Add in some canned food(spam,chicken,tuna,raviolis) and some add water only pancake mix and pasta and you be in business. I store what I eat and eat what I store. You can live a long time on pancakes and spam, trust me I did it. Although this is not meant to be a complete diet it will keep you alive and is a great start. I always buy a few #10 cans of stuff at sams club. Corn lasts a few years and is good even cold. I always stock up on cases of water as well, buy small bottles as well as gallon jugs, start saving 2 liters and filling with potable water now. Also give some thoughts to fuel. Propane tanks, wood ect. Have to cook alot of food. JMHO Greg
Old 07-07-2011, 5:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have to agree with the concept of putting away a year of core foods. For some that means lots of wheat (and a hand powered mill) and dried beans of various types. The only problem with both is that they take a lot of cooking which requires lots of fuel that may not be available. Well fuel and one other problem - some of us are moderately diabetic and can't live long-term on high carbohydrate foods like wheat. The point is to take into account your individual dietary needs and adjust your selections to fit your needs. I keep a 6 month supply of prepackages emergency rations but supplement that with canned meats and beans and other canned goods and rotate them by buying new stock and eating my older stuff.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 07-07-2011, 5:08 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycn View Post
I use beprepared.com a lot. Freeze dried in #10 cans is my my favored storage. Easily stored, long lasting, and better tasting. Mountain House is the best.
Yep

Also try:

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com

http://www.thereadystore.com

Warning: Be prepared for looong ship times, everyone and their dog is stocking up. You are late to the party.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 07-07-2011, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

You can also try Costco. I've noted their prices seem higher then some others, but they ship right to your door with no extra charge on bulk food items and seem to stock some decent stuff.

Again I wouldn't buy it though unless I routinely ate it.
Old 07-07-2011, 5:31 PM
Veteran Member

you should probably start with 2-3 weeks worth of the freeze dried food. Easy to cook so you are more apt to use them for short duration emergencies. Have a few 3 day rations in your car and cupboard as well. They require no preparation and keep well.

Contrary to what a lot of people say about food preps, I actually don't think you need to worry about longevity of storage so much. 25 years? you'll probably use in the next 4-5 years.
Old 07-07-2011, 5:40 PM

Quote:
+1 for beprepared.com
Old 07-07-2011, 7:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenodnarb View Post
you should probably start with 2-3 weeks worth of the freeze dried food. Easy to cook so you are more apt to use them for short duration emergencies. Have a few 3 day rations in your car and cupboard as well. They require no preparation and keep well.
I suggest keeping a 2 person/3 day kit in each car.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 07-07-2011, 7:30 PM

Quote:
use honeyville grain there in Rancho right off the 15freeway
CPR instructor
EMT-P
Old 07-07-2011, 8:00 PM
CGN Contributor

I have ordered from Costco (Thrive brand), Sams (Augason Farms), bought a lot of bulk at Honeyville Grain in Ranch Cucamonga (AWESOME store) and also ordered house brand from BePrepared.com. Depending upon your resources you may want to order the (1) year kit and then supplement with bulk. I have a combination of bulk (wheat/beans/legumes/peas/rice, etc) packed in mylar bags and put in buckets and then have the #10 cans of other stuff (milk, eggs, sour cream, cheese, butter, TVP).

To me the tastiest brand for basics is Thrive but it is also one of the more expensive. I also think the Mountain House package at Costco and their buckets/gamma lid combos are good buys. I think that Mountain House is the best tasting for already prepared freeze dried entrees.

Just try and plan for some variety in your food as you don't want to eat the same thing every day. Don't forget to store a good amount of cooking oil and most importantly you will need quite a bit of water as well. Throw in a pressure cooker for quick cooking and to conserve fuel storage and you will be better prepared than most.

Another idea, which I have not tried yet, is to go to a local LDS Cannery and stock up. Their pricing is hard to beat. I have ordered many online items from them (wheat, beans, water purification) and they were the most affordable for online ordering of the BASIC supplies.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by hartref; 07-07-2011 at 8:03 PM..
Old 07-07-2011, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartref View Post
I have ordered from Costco (Thrive brand), Sams (Augason Farms), bought a lot of bulk at Honeyville Grain in Ranch Cucamonga (AWESOME store) and also ordered house brand from BePrepared.com. Depending upon your resources you may want to order the (1) year kit and then supplement with bulk. I have a combination of bulk (wheat/beans/legumes/peas/rice, etc) packed in mylar bags and put in buckets and then have the #10 cans of other stuff (milk, eggs, sour cream, cheese, butter, TVP).

To me the tastiest brand for basics is Thrive but it is also one of the more expensive. I also think the Mountain House package at Costco and their buckets/gamma lid combos are good buys. I think that Mountain House is the best tasting for already prepared freeze dried entrees.

Just try and plan for some variety in your food as you don't want to eat the same thing every day. Don't forget to store a good amount of cooking oil and most importantly you will need quite a bit of water as well. Throw in a pressure cooker for quick cooking and to conserve fuel storage and you will be better prepared than most.

I hope this helps!
you must be LDS
CPR instructor
EMT-P
Old 07-07-2011, 8:17 PM
CGN Contributor

No I am definitely NOT LDS but I do think they are quite the experts at food storage.
Old 07-07-2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
No I am definitely NOT LDS but I do think they are quite the experts at food storage.
I do love Honeyville. I spend way to much money there.
CPR instructor
EMT-P
Old 07-07-2011, 8:22 PM
CGN Contributor

I think Honeyville is GREAT! But I have been banned from going there as last time I went I spent too much money. I still want to get a few more of their 100 gallon water tanks.
Old 07-07-2011, 8:27 PM

I wish I hand room for those
CPR instructor
EMT-P
Old 07-07-2011, 8:45 PM

One thing that I found at the HV store was some neat 30 gallon tanks that were "pie wedge" (90 degree wedge and a rounded outside) shaped that is meant to stand up out of the way in a corner. They were tall and skinny, roughly 6 ish feet tall. Kind of a neat idea for those with space issues...

I dont know if these are the same ones, but it looks like the dark grey one in this picture: http://www.synergyplastics.net/Produ...%20corner.html

Last edited by EmptySkuLL; 07-07-2011 at 8:48 PM..
Old 07-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripon83 View Post
Everyone has a different opinion. I don't do a lot of bulk food though I've been looking at it. I love lentils and there are some terrific buys on them in bulk - plus they have a 30 year shelf life.

One piece of advise I heard and resonated with me was bulk up on what you eat. Why buy bulk foods you never eat, and then add to "SHTF" food you don't like?

Many. manys thread here on your topic OP.

As Ripon has stated in the above quote no reason for your SHTF food to taste like STHTF. <----- I think you can figure that out.

Last edited by FatCity67; 07-07-2011 at 10:06 PM..
Old 07-08-2011, 1:02 AM

What is a "#10 can"??? How many ounces is it?

I don't care to store rice, grains, etc... Reason being is I figure if we have some type of disaster where rain, floods, moisture gets to the product, it's worthless. Also, insects, vermin such as rats/mice can easily attack it.

I use nothing but cheap canned food from the local supermarket. It's amazing how every week, some type of canned food is always on sale. We have a family rule that once per week, we pick out 8-10 cans of food and stock up that way. I now have an entire walk in closet that is FULL to the brim with canned food.

Canned food in my opinion is impervious to all types of insects and vermin. If the roof collapses due to a storm, the canned food is better protected than a big batch of grain, rice, etc....

I also don't get LARGE cans of food such as the ones from Costco etc.... Once the can is open, how does one preserve the "left overs?" My goal is to not have any "left overs" after a meal, henceforth we use small cans so the food is always "fresh" (relatively speaking).

We have in our closet canned foods in the following groups: Veggies, Fruits, Carb type and Meats.

The "fruit" type is ALWAYS fruit packed in water, NOT syrup. (Don't need all that excess sugar). The "carb type" cans are the ravioli, spaghetti, noodles, etc... Veggies are self explanatory (concentrate on green veggies such as spinach, asparagas, green beans, peas, etc.... less on corn and carrots). Meats are the fish, chicken, ham, turkey spam, chili, pork & beans, soups etc....

The beauty of a can, you don't need a pot to cook it in. Just pop the top of the can and use a heat source under it. Or..... don't cook it at all if need be. A rat can't chew through a can too easily either.

I can't imagine eating nothing but beans and rice all the time. That takes up space for more canned food that's cheap. Plus, I don't need water with canned food, unlike dehydrated foods. All that is too much food prep.

When the cans are empty, they also make great "perimeter" noise breaching indicators with fishing line. The empty cans help me identify when the zombies breach my perimeter!!! Can't say that about an empty rice burlap sack now, can you???

Cans are awesome.

Just my .02cents worth of opinion.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-Proud "DEPLORABLE!"
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 07-08-2011 at 1:07 AM..
Old 07-08-2011, 2:37 AM

For the first 6 months I only need 1,000 cal per day.

I can live off the fat-of-the-land (meaning my belly) - well maybe 9 months. for that long.

Water is more important. (filter and tablets)
Old 07-08-2011, 3:52 AM

In ounces thats between 96 and 110. Well when SHTF going those #10 cans will be just fine.
CPR instructor
EMT-P
Old 07-08-2011, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Buy what you are eating now. If you buy massive quantities of pinto beans, rice, and wheat eventually you will end up throwing it out when it expires. Expand your storage space and buy packaged and canned foods that you consume now and rotate your stock by actually eating it everyday and replacing it as needed. Buy two cases of current date (and be sure they are current) MREs as your 'didn't want to leave but have to' back up stock. Review how many calories you need to have daily to be healthy, not to fill your stomach and then look at a daily menu that will be absent refrigerated and frozen foods. Stock and use mulivitamins to suppliment what you may be lacking in your diet. Water storage is much more critical than food stockpiling here in SoCal. Without stored potable water you will be dead before you make it through much of your food hoard.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 07-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
What is a "#10 can"??? How many ounces is it?

I don't care to store rice, grains, etc... Reason being is I figure if we have some type of disaster where rain, floods, moisture gets to the product, it's worthless. Also, insects, vermin such as rats/mice can easily attack it.

I use nothing but cheap canned food from the local supermarket. It's amazing how every week, some type of canned food is always on sale. We have a family rule that once per week, we pick out 8-10 cans of food and stock up that way. I now have an entire walk in closet that is FULL to the brim with canned food.

Canned food in my opinion is impervious to all types of insects and vermin. If the roof collapses due to a storm, the canned food is better protected than a big batch of grain, rice, etc....

I also don't get LARGE cans of food such as the ones from Costco etc.... Once the can is open, how does one preserve the "left overs?" My goal is to not have any "left overs" after a meal, henceforth we use small cans so the food is always "fresh" (relatively speaking).

We have in our closet canned foods in the following groups: Veggies, Fruits, Carb type and Meats.

The "fruit" type is ALWAYS fruit packed in water, NOT syrup. (Don't need all that excess sugar). The "carb type" cans are the ravioli, spaghetti, noodles, etc... Veggies are self explanatory (concentrate on green veggies such as spinach, asparagas, green beans, peas, etc.... less on corn and carrots). Meats are the fish, chicken, ham, turkey spam, chili, pork & beans, soups etc....

The beauty of a can, you don't need a pot to cook it in. Just pop the top of the can and use a heat source under it. Or..... don't cook it at all if need be. A rat can't chew through a can too easily either.

I can't imagine eating nothing but beans and rice all the time. That takes up space for more canned food that's cheap. Plus, I don't need water with canned food, unlike dehydrated foods. All that is too much food prep.

When the cans are empty, they also make great "perimeter" noise breaching indicators with fishing line. The empty cans help me identify when the zombies breach my perimeter!!! Can't say that about an empty rice burlap sack now, can you???

Cans are awesome.

Just my .02cents worth of opinion.
I hope you rotate though that stock. most canned foods are only good for 2 years or so and sometimes the "on sale" stuff is already a year old.

You store grains and beans in mylar(metal bag) with O2 absorbers. It Stores as well as cans, and grains and beans don't have an "expiration date" especially wheat. Wheat lasts indefinitely if stored whole (not ground) and moisture isn't allowed to get to it. They found wheat stored in the pyramids that was still good! That's like 2000 years old!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
Buy what you are eating now. If you buy massive quantities of pinto beans, rice, and wheat eventually you will end up throwing it out when it expires.
When does wheat expire? Mine didn't come with an expiration date

See above post.

Oh and learn to eat your food storage. That's what I've started doing, and it opens up the world of cooking, which I really didn't do before. Not to mention that the food I'm eating is better for me by virtue of using whole grains.

I should add that for those who don't store whole grains and don't know how to cook with them, if an extended SHTF scenario happens, when the canned food is gone you are SOL. All my grain and bean storage can be planted and used to grow more food. Yes it takes a long time, but with a years supply of wheat and beans only costing me 300-400 per person(as opposed to like 1600-2400 in canned food per person) I have plenty to get me through. I've even been learning how to grow it (the very stuff I buy and store) in the back yard so I'm prepared.

Of course you want canned food and freeze dried stuff for a good long time too(short term emergencies), just don't be knockin' grains. I'm kind of surprised by the ignorance in this thread about what I would call "real food."

Last edited by thenodnarb; 07-08-2011 at 10:47 AM..
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM

If you really want to get serious about this I recommend picking up a copy of Crisis Preparedness Handbook by Jack Spigarelli. He's goes into quite a bit of detail about food storage tradeoffs and strategies. I'm sure there are other books out there that are good, that just happens to be one I like.

One of the things to beware of with the packages of food (talking about packages sold in the form of "food for X people for Y months") is they often overestimate the number of people/length of time by not allowing enough calories per day per person. This is especially true in a time of crisis when you are likely to burn more calories than normal. You can get through a short time period of days or a few weeks with a calorie deficit, but if you are looking at storing for months or a year, you don't want to do that.

He makes a good case for a strategy that is based on multiple types of stored foods. In other words, freeze dried food has it's place, but it may not be sufficient to be the only form of food you store. Canned foods (especially meats, perhaps fruits and vegetables), and stored grains may also make sense as part of a complete food storage strategy.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 07-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
When does wheat expire? Mine didn't come with an expiration date

"
Everything has an expiration date. Even if it doesn't turn rancid it gets to the point where the food doesn't have much 'value' to your body and you will be eating filler.

I'm a seven percenter
Old 07-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
Everything has an expiration date. Even if it doesn't turn rancid it gets to the point where the food doesn't have much 'value' to your body and you will be eating filler.
negative. You need to learn more about wheat.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
negative. You need to learn more about wheat.
I only know what I read:

The Hard Grains

Buckwheat
Corn, Dry
Flax
Kamut
Millet
Durum wheat
Hard red wheat
Hard white wheat
Soft wheat
Special bake wheat
Spelt
Triticale

The Hard Grains all store well because of their hard outer shell which is nature's near perfect container. Remove that container and the contents rapidly deteriorate. Wheat, probably nature's longest storing seed, has been known to be edible after scores of years when stored in a cool dry place. As a general rule for hard grains, hermetically sealed in the absence of oxygen, plan on a storage life of 10-12 years at a stable temperature of 70oF. They should keep proportionately longer if stored at cooler temperatures.
http://standeyo.com/News_Files/Food/...helf_Life.html

I'm a seven percenter
Old 07-09-2011, 10:08 AM

The LDS church really are experts on long term food storage, and will sell to non LDS like you and me. Use goggle and search for LDS canneries, for me living in Bakersfield the closest is Fresno. Call ahead and find out what days there open I don't remember. I filled the back of a P/U truck last year with 12 months of food for 3 people for $450, plus the cost of mylar bags, O2 absorbers, 5 gallon buckets and lids. It's the basics but it puts you way ahead of most people. As to cooking the food search out rocket stoves, mine will cook a full meal on just a few scrapes of wood.

Current food cost
http://www.providentliving.org/conte...4352-1,00.html

Cannery locations
http://providentliving.org/location/...26-1-4,00.html
Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Truth of the matter is when you get VERY hungry you'll not be NEARLY as picky about your food!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You can also try Costco. I've noted their prices seem higher then some others, but they ship right to your door with no extra charge on bulk food items and seem to stock some decent stuff. Again I wouldn't buy it though unless I routinely ate it.
They sell a $40 box of MT. Hse. freeze dried food and folks here tell me its a pretty decent buy.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If ANY group is better than the LDS I've not heard of them.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
If ANY group is better than the LDS I've not heard of them.
LDS is mormon, And were expert at preparing home storage and SHTF
CPR instructor
EMT-P
Old 07-09-2011, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I myself have been getting a mix of MRE's and some Mountain House freeze dried goods. The only problem with freeze dried goods is the required use of water to make them edible. If water is a hard to get item and you need to use it for drinking, then I think having to use it to cook is a bad thing which is why I prefer the MRE's

TRy this place they have lots of good stuff.

http://theepicenter.com/cgi/order.cg...id=%%cart_id%%

Last edited by 97F1504RAD; 07-09-2011 at 1:59 PM..
Old 07-09-2011, 2:54 PM
CGN Contributor

I've done a fair amount of research and feel that the best mix is a couple cases of MREs for short term emergencies, lots of canned staples and dried goods for an extended crisis supplemented by cases of #10 Freeze Dried raw ingredients for their long shelf life.

For keeping beans/rice/pasta/dry dog food safe from vermin and moisture, food grade 5 gallon buckets with Gamma seal lids are a solid solution, especially if the food inside is in Mylar bags with 02 absorbers. I chose to stay away from Mountain House, Wise, etc. pre-prepared freeze dried meals as while it might be tasty and convenient, it's all VERY high in sodium and both my wife and I have blood pressure issues. I figure having freeze dried raw ingredients would let us continue to prepare meals like we normally would with freeze dried corn, broccoli, eggs, etc. From my research, dried milk in #10 cans should be a key component due to the long shelf life and high nutritional content.

I have had great service from Beprepared.com, Honeville Grains, The Epicenter and MREDepot.com.

A lot of the long term storage food places like Honeyville don't do much in the way of meat. I look to Costco for canned chicken, Tuna fish and roast beef. We have always used the canned tuna and chicken but have recently started to use some of our older stocks of the roast beef as it's good to rotate through your supplies replenishing with new as you eat the oldest stuff. I was surprised at how tasty it was, even cans that were "Best if used by" late 2009. Canned food is generally good for years after it's specified date. If you want to supplement your stash with some dairy products, check out Red Feather or H.J. Wijsman & Zonen canned butter and Bega canned cheese. The butter is real butter and the cheese is surprisingly tasty and maintains it's texture with no refrigeration. Don't forget to ad some Yoder's Canned Bacon:

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...d-Bacon/Detail

For water, it's good to have a substantial store on hand, but one should also have a high quality water filter like a Katadyn or something similar. I'm going to have to look into those wedge shaped 30 gallon barrels as I already have two of the traditional shaped ones and they take up a lot of space, which is something I'm short of. Thanks for the tip on those.

Also, if you've got pets, don't forget to store extras for them. The oils in dry dog food will go rancid if stored in a hot garage for a long time unless stored properly like the dry grains I noted above. Don't forget to factor the pets in as far as water storage goes too.

Happy prepping!

Last edited by Excitable Boy; 07-09-2011 at 2:58 PM..
Old 07-09-2011, 4:19 PM

Does it ever occur to you that for some odd reason that you are still alive? If that is the case, then most of your neighbors or ex-neighbors are dead.

THEIR HOUSES HAVE FOOD! ALL KINDS OF FOOD!