Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-06-2011, 3:52 PM

Thumbs up Tell me about your Glock 27

I'm looking to get my first pistol and I really want a Glock. I like the look of the Sub-compact and function of it as well. Just want to hear so reviews and opinions about your Glock. I want to stick with the .40S&W. I don't really want to hear fan boy arguments. This isn't a Glock vs. HK or XD thread.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Frontstuffers!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1500 View Post
I wonder if the holdup is because Gene's package is way too big and the people at the clerks office cant handle it all......
Old 07-06-2011, 4:08 PM

All top tier guns are great.....rather they be a Glock, XD, Beretta or S&W.....

I like my 27 because I know it will shoot any kind of ammo, every time.

The pierce mag extension is a must.....Along with a .25 cent trigger job.

I'm not a Glock fan-boy so I rented and tried an XD and M&P before I settled on the Glock 27. It's simplicity won me over.......
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... Served hero and villain alike... And carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

Last edited by reg290; 07-06-2011 at 4:12 PM..
Old 07-06-2011, 4:10 PM
Calguns Addict

The GLOCK 27 is a fantastic and powerful weapon. She will run with Glock 22 and Glock 23 mags as well. (13 rounds, 15 rounds).

Hickok45 loves this weapon.

Accurate out to 230 yards..

Comparing the G26 and G27

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 07-06-2011, 4:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll echo all of the above
Except I don't care for a trigger job, mine is stock and I like it that way
Runs all my 22/23/27 magazines if capacities from 9 up to 31 with no problems at all

If you have an opportunity to rent at a range do that
Heck if your near me, salinas, I might let ya borrow or go to range with ya

I have a 23/27/30 myself, had a 17/19 and have shot the 22 model also
No complaints at all with stock triggers
Then I haven't tried the trigger mods so can't trash them, I just don't care for a mod in case if self defense
Movado His/Her Watches
Front Sight 4-Day Handgun $99
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 07-06-2011, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Oh, I have a magazine adaptor for 23 to 27 mag, and not sure if it's just me but it pinches when shooting when I use that mag
The pierce extensions don't bother me
Movado His/Her Watches
Old 07-06-2011, 4:30 PM

Mine? I sold it to another cal gunner after shooting an M&P 40 compact. I noticed a few months ago he had it listed too. Glocks aren't for everyone and this Glock is not one for all Glock shooters.

My advice, shoot one first and shoot other sub compacts side by side.
Old 07-06-2011, 6:09 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've shot a Glock 19 and loved the feel of it. However I'm not 21 so I don't think I'd be able to compare side by side unless someone I personally know had them.

Quote:
Frontstuffers!!!!!!!

Quote:
I wonder if the holdup is because Gene's package is way too big and the people at the clerks office cant handle it all......
Old 07-06-2011, 6:19 PM

I've had mine for a brief trial period of ... well over a decade. I think I'll keep it.
Old 07-06-2011, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Yay a Glock 27 thread! LOL. I love my 27. It is way more accurate than I am, and is my main line of home defense. I actually like shooting it without the extension grips, the third finger groove seems like it throws off my grip, and it definitely ruins the look of it for me.

Obligatory photos:

This was before I decided I didn't like the grip extensions:

Check me out on YouTube! Shooting, Engineering, and Dogs. What's not to love?
Old 07-06-2011, 6:49 PM

it wishes it was a CZ.....oh well..........
Old 07-06-2011, 6:49 PM

Very sexy!

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Frontstuffers!!!!!!!

Quote:
Old 07-06-2011, 7:08 PM
CGN Contributor

My 27 works perfect. I love it for what it is. I use a high quailty IWB holster at 6 o'clock.
Old 07-06-2011, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

I have an older 2.5 gen and love it. It is one of the most accurate compact pistols you can buy in the sub 700 range (assuming new).

However, it is not for everyone. Since you like the g19 have you considered a g23?

Worth a consideration.
Old 07-06-2011, 7:37 PM

Love my 27. Shooting w/10-8 rears and XS Big Dot FS. I've got IWB, OWB and a new Ritchie Ankle rig. I love the pistol!
Old 07-06-2011, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin Dallas View Post
I have an older 2.5 gen and love it. It is one of the most accurate compact pistols you can buy in the sub 700 range (assuming new).

However, it is not for everyone. Since you like the g19 have you considered a g23?

Worth a consideration.
I have, however I really want a .40 cal bullet!

Quote:
Frontstuffers!!!!!!!

Quote:
Old 07-06-2011, 7:46 PM

Baby glocks rule! I will def. own one within a year...Probably 2 or 3...I want that 29 pretty bad...
Old 07-06-2011, 8:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I own both the 26 and the 27, and while the 26 has less kick, the 27 is still well behaved. I've added a hogue grip and am running a stainless guide rod. You may want to add the glock 23 to your list of potential firearms.
Old 07-06-2011, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTyRAiD View Post
Baby glocks rule! I will def. own one within a year...Probably 2 or 3...I want that 29 pretty bad...
The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 07-06-2011, 9:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

26 here.
25-cent trigger job out of the box, took it to the range the next day and put 500 rounds down the pipe with no problems at all.

If the 27 is half as nice as the 26, you'll love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-06-2011, 9:08 PM
Calguns Addict

What holsters for iwb has been found good for those posting here
Movado His/Her Watches
Old 07-06-2011, 9:26 PM

Awesome self defense weapon, so-so range gun. The recoil and grip size gets a bit old after a while. Not sure if a sub compact will the best first handgun for you. You may be happier with a compact so you can get your pinky on a solid grip. My grip extensions move while shooting which annoys the hell out of me.
Old 07-06-2011, 9:41 PM

I'm leaning a little more to the compact G23, get used to shooting a pistol then maybe invest in the G27 once I can get my CCW.

Quote:
Frontstuffers!!!!!!!

Quote:
Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
If the 27 is half as nice as the 26, you'll love it.
*Russian accent/* 27 is just as good as 26, in fact is one better! */Russian accent*

Check me out on YouTube! Shooting, Engineering, and Dogs. What's not to love?
Old 07-07-2011, 9:43 AM

Had a Glock 23, traded it for a 27, traded it for a 19......G27's are sweet but the more I handled it the more I like the compact (19) Should have kept my 23 and gotten the 9mm conversion. But thats why I trade them and get different ones, to see what I really like and keep.....

Get a 27 and if you don't like it trade for a 23
Old 07-07-2011, 10:33 AM

If this is your first pistol, i seriously advise you to get a full size pistol first. I am speaking from experience. My first pistol purchase was an XD subcompact and i loved it for the first year. After i wanted to start getting into action shooting and distance shooting the shorty doesnt really cut it. i ended up buying an XD tactical. Now i know a lot of people will say theres nothing wrong with having both. Its my opinion that that you should start big then size down. My friends tried to tell me to get a full size first, i told them NO i wanted a sub. I liked the way it looked it felt good in my hand blah ablah. I been eating a bit ( alot )of crow since i bought my tactical. hindsight i should have bought at last the 4" model before getting the shorty.

About the glock 27, after i bought my XD sub a friend wanted a shorty too so he bought the 27. The 27 is SNAPPY as hell, more so than the XD. It was a chore to shoot rather than a "snappy fun" to shoot gun. Not to mention since we were shooting a brand new gun we both got a bad case of glock trigger finger, due to the new trigger and the recoil of the gun. IF you are dead set on getting a 27 i would recommend some grip extensions for sure.

TLDR: get a full size pistol first!!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:58 AM

"Rent if you can" is excellent advice. My son has a 27 and shoots it well - better than the Sig 239 he was also considering.

I, on the other hand, cannot shoot the 27 well at all. Old guy problems with my hand mean I just can't maintain a decent grip. I'm guessing that most people don't get more than a two finger grip on the 27. If that's a problem for you, the 23 may be a good alternative. Try both if you can.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Just last week got a 72 Gen4. No regrets at all. Carry with confidence.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 AM

Have a G27 and really like it. Only thing I did was swap out the guide rod for a metal one.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz415 View Post
If this is your first pistol, i seriously advise you to get a full size pistol first. I am speaking from experience. My first pistol purchase was an XD subcompact and i loved it for the first year. After i wanted to start getting into action shooting and distance shooting the shorty doesnt really cut it. i ended up buying an XD tactical. Now i know a lot of people will say theres nothing wrong with having both. Its my opinion that that you should start big then size down. My friends tried to tell me to get a full size first, i told them NO i wanted a sub. I liked the way it looked it felt good in my hand blah ablah. I been eating a bit ( alot )of crow since i bought my tactical. hindsight i should have bought at last the 4" model before getting the shorty.

About the glock 27, after i bought my XD sub a friend wanted a shorty too so he bought the 27. The 27 is SNAPPY as hell, more so than the XD. It was a chore to shoot rather than a "snappy fun" to shoot gun. Not to mention since we were shooting a brand new gun we both got a bad case of glock trigger finger, due to the new trigger and the recoil of the gun. IF you are dead set on getting a 27 i would recommend some grip extensions for sure.

What he said.
If its for HD/range use i would suggest the 23 or 22.
If its for carry i would suggest the 27 or 23.
If its for everything, carry/range/HD then i say the 23.
The only advantage of the 27 is small size/weight when carrying. For everything else, shooting, capacity, sight radius, recoil, grip, ect.. the 23 & 22 trump it.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz415 View Post

I own both G22 and G27. Great guns! Glocks are great because they are fairly inexpensive, accurate, reliable. I have put thousands of rounds through my g22, but only a few hundred through the 27. Shooting the two are quite different beasts. Love the glock torture test from oregonshooters.

I am going to echo the points made here. Especially since this sounds like it will be your first gun. The shorter barrel will give you a lot more snap making follow up shots less accurate and longer. Also it decreases effective range of the firearm. The shorter grip wont let you rest your pinky on grip unless you pay extra for mag extensions.

Get a 22 or 23. Get trigger time in and get comfortable shooting, trust me a service size will be much more versatile for more kinds of shooting that a sub. If you are thinking of it in terms of hd, the inch or two of barrel is a non factor.

the only real advantage of 27 is for concealment.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:56 AM

I love my 27. A lot of people think it's too small until they handle and shoot it. I've had 2 people buy them and 2 more are looking after shooting mine. If you CC the 27 disappears on the hip. It's a great gun.

Quote:
"Justice Sotomayor, states may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional."
- Gura
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I've been carrying a 27 for over 10 years. Mine is bone stock, no finger extensions, trigger work or anything. It's a good concealed carry pistol, not so good a general use pistol. If this is to be your only pistol, you really need to fire one before you buy it. You may want to consider a mid-size or full-size pistol if this is to be your first/only handgun.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 PM

My first handgun was a Glock 33 (.357Sig) that I put an aftermarket .40 barrel on and I liked it a lot. I never shot .357 Sig out of it, only .40S&W. I never had any problems with it and it was rather accurate. My main purpose for getting it was because I wanted a small handgun with good power and the G33/27 fit that criteria.

Years later I got a CCW and wanted a dedicated Glock 27 so I sold the G33 and got the G27 OD. It's been a nice gun and even though I switched it off my CCW for a Glock 36 instead, I can't see myself ever selling it.

Recoil is pretty snappy but not uncontrollable. For a while I flirted with wanting a Glock 26 in 9mm for reduced recoil and got one, but I missed the snap of the G27 so I got a KKM 9mm conversion barrel and G26 mags for the Glock 27 and now I can have the best of both worlds.

I find that the Glock 27 is fun to shoot, easy to conceal and is an accurate shooter. Shooting hundreds of rounds at a time isn't my favorite thing to do though because I prefer a full grip. I also have a Glock 23 and enjoy shooting it more than the Glock 27. If concealability is your main goal then the Glock 27 is your best bet. I'm not saying the G27 won't be a good range gun but if your goal is more about range practice and self defense without concealing then the Glock 23 will probably be more enjoyable.

You can get a pinky grip extension for the G27 but you might as well just get the G23 because the only difference will be a slightly shorter barrel then. I put GAP enterprises floor plates on my mags and they work well. They don't add to the grip length but they lock your two fingers into the grip nicely.

Good luck with whichever gun you choose, both are great. It's not like you can't get both either, that's what I did.

Here's a couple pics of my G27 and the G33 I used to have but sold; I put on Meprolight night sights, extended slide stop, extended takedown lever, extended mag release and backstrap channel insert on both. I also heat stippled the grip to get rid of the finger groove and give a very secure grip:

Last edited by jdg30; 01-28-2012 at 8:26 AM..
Old 07-07-2011, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
What holsters for iwb has been found good for those posting here
Crossbreed Supertuck.
Not cheap, but it's like wearing nothing at all, and the G26/27 go stealth.
It allows you to tuck your shirt in over the grip.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-07-2011, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThortheDog View Post
I'm guessing that most people don't get more than a two finger grip on the 27.
That is how it's designed, as are many subcompacts.
It didn't bother me, but I did add the mag extension floorplates posted above and it allows for your pinky to get around the grip, helps stabilize the gun, and the angle doesn't hurt concealment.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg g26-1.jpg (37.1 KB, 125 views)

Quote:
Old 07-07-2011, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
The GLOCK 27 is a fantastic and powerful weapon. She will run with Glock 22 and Glock 23 mags as well. (13 rounds, 15 rounds).

Hickok45 loves this weapon.

Accurate out to 230 yards..

Comparing the G26 and G27

Impressive I have to say. I have no doubt the GLock 27 is a great pistol. However, I have and always will prefer the DA/SA of the Sig over the Glock for CCW because the Glock has by far the highest rate of AD/ND in police department around the USA.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 07-07-2011, 6:39 PM

Awesome gun and I'm sure you would like it. I will be getting a G26 soon myself. I personally don't like the muzzle flip on a small .40 gun...just me though.
Old 07-07-2011, 7:39 PM

It's a great gun that can conceal well and shoots well, but I would just recommend renting one for a while and seeing if you don't mind the recoil. It's manageable but I just didn't like shooting it a lot. I'd choose a Glock 23 over a 27.
Old 07-07-2011, 8:14 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys! Like I said I think I'm just going to look into a G23 for my first pistol and once I get a CCW I might upgrade/downgrade to a G27.
Cokebottle I really like that mag grip extension. Is it a fairly solid design or is it "ghetto"?

Quote:
Frontstuffers!!!!!!!

Quote:
Old 07-07-2011, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskra31 View Post
Cokebottle I really like that mag grip extension. Is it a fairly solid design or is it "ghetto"?
It replaces the mag floorplate... it's not a stick-on. It's as solid as the mag itself and feels like a part of the grip.

Quote: